Who plays where? Who plays at all?

Yep, that thread lies fallow until

1. Galy plays a shift at W

2. MT ices a configuration of lines some posters disagree with

3. MT sits Tinordi but dresses Gilbert

4. MT dresses Tinordi but does not use him in all situations and inexplicably fails to play him for 47 minutes per night

5. Desharnais gets PP time

6. Eller looks useless for an extended stretch (because that's ALWAYS MT's fault)

7. The team has a bad first period and has to come back to win

8. The team starts well but blows a lead

9. Weise plays 0.02 seconds on the top lines or PP unit

10. Any rookie or young player sits or gets sent down

I THINK that about covers it...but I've probably missed a dozen or so other scenarios

You forgot every time the Habs win a game it is despite MT, but yet when they lose the game it is because of him. Other than that, great list.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that Fleischmann has a tryout, the questions stack up even more. I think something has to give on defense.

Subban, Markov

Petry, Beaulieu

Gilbert, Patyrn

Tinordi, Barbario.

None of these guys are waiver eligible. So eight defensemen.

Pacioretty plekanec Gallagher

Desharnais Galchenyuk Semin

Fleischmann Eller Kassian

DSP Mitchell Weiss

Flynn and I feel like I'm missing someone.

Now that Fleischmann has a tryout, the questions stack up even more. I think something has to give on defense.

Subban, Markov

Petry, Beaulieu

Gilbert, Patyrn

Tinordi, Barbario.

DSP Mitchell Weiss

JDLR!

Subban, Markov

Petry, Beaulieu

Gilbert, Patyrn

Tinordi, Barbario.

DSP Mitchell Weiss

You're missing Emelin on the blueline. Barberio is #9 on the depth chart.

You invite people to tryout because competition is a good thing. But he's gotta know that on this roster, making the team is an uphill battle. One of those guys would have to be dropped to make room for him.

You invite people to tryout because competition is a good thing. But he's gotta know that on this roster, making the team is an uphill battle. One of those guys would have to be dropped to make room for him.

I'm just thinking that keeping a solid 3rd Line LW in Fleischmann is more important than having 3 fringe nhl defensemen, none of whom can be sent down. Pateryn Tinordi and Barberio

I'm not even thinking of the defenseboys. just thinking you've got DSP and Weise behind Eller and Fleischmann on your depth list, when both of them have more talent than either of those guys. I'm not sure Fleischmann can beat out Flynn for a spot on the roster.

Eller on left wing and (supposedly) was quoted as saying he is prepared to stay there for rest of camp and 'seems' happy with it?

So is 27-14-51-17 are the centres.

Interesting!

You forgot every time the Habs win a game it is despite MT, but yet when they lose the game it is because of him. Other than that, great list.

you know I was never going to let this go. Whenever the habs win, it is because Carey won them the game. Whenever they lose it is Le Genius's fault. Just had to fix that for you.

• Upvote 1

I did not expect Eller to be the 'loser' in the shuffling at C; like most folks, I thought DD would be moved to W. Not to keep ragging on L'il Lars, but this does suggest, at least, that the coaching staff is not all that impressed with his supposedly staunch two-way game, since they apparently consider DD a better option as a third-line pivot.

Regardless of this specific point, the situation at C is going to be one of a number of interesting story-lines on the team this year. It's gonna be a season to remember!

I did not expect Eller to be the 'loser' in the shuffling at C; like most folks, I thought DD would be moved to W. Not to keep ragging on L'il Lars, but this does suggest, at least, that the coaching staff is not all that impressed with his supposedly staunch two-way game, since they apparently consider DD a better option as a third-line pivot.

Or is it because they think Eller can take a big step forward offensively on that line? Eller's usage last year suggests that they were happy with his defensive (two-way) play so I wouldn't necessarily infer that this means they've had a change of heart.

It would appear as the 3rd line centre - unless they drop Plekanec to the 3rd which wouldn't be a great move.

But wouldn't you and most of us think Pleks is our #1 C going in to camp?

We may all be hoping it's Galchenyuk, but until results speak, don't see how anyone could consider dropping Pleks to #3 spot, at least until Galchenyuk succeeds at #2 C position...?

But wouldn't you and most of us think Pleks is our #1 C going in to camp?

We may all be hoping it's Galchenyuk, but until results speak, don't see how anyone could consider dropping Pleks to #3 spot, at least until Galchenyuk succeeds at #2 C position...?

I would have Plekanec as the #1 which is why I noted dropping him to the 3rd wouldn't be a great move. The scenario in which Plekanec would drop is if Therrien doesn't want to use Desharnais in a two-way role and instead opts to play him alongside Pacioretty. I'd say at this point Galchenyuk is more or less locked in as the #2. If he's #1, it's too much too fast in all likelihood; if he's #3, he's getting less of a chance to score than he was on the wing.

The biggest reason for Eller moving to LW in the 2nd line instead of Desharnais could be for the exact reason you mentioned bdlbalr. If they are putting Semin on Galchenyuk's RW, for offensive purposes, Eller's defensive play may be what required on that line. We all know Semin isn't an all-star defensive player, and Galchenyuk is young. They need a defensive anchor on that line. If Plekanec is going to be top line center and we need a defensive presence on the 2nd line, it's either Eller or really maybe DSP. Desharnais isn't defensive enough to cover the lapses.

I still don't see much of a future for Desharnais on the team if he isn't playing a top 6 role. I think bottom 6 matchups would be too physical for Desharnais to be effective. The kid's got skill and heart, but disappears when things get physical. TSN floated the idea of Plekanec being traded this season, maybe that's whats is really behind all of this. Desharnais to center 1st/2nd line and Plekanec gets moved?

Yes, moving Eller to the top-6 as a W does suggest a belief that he can do more offensively. All I meant to say was that it also implies that they don't rate his defensive game so highly that moving him out of the 'checking C' role would significantly handicap the team. (E.g., it would have been unthinkable, if my recollection is right, to move Carbo to the W).

As for #1 C, etc., I'm not sure these numerical labels matter all that much on a team that is supposed, in theory, to roll three lines. What is probably without question is that Plekanec is the one C that management feels that can absolutely count on to be effective at both ends of the ice, game in and game out, and I'm pretty sure all of their thinking about line configurations proceeds from the assumption that Pleks is the 'centrepiece' (so to speak). He's still in his prime and not getting demoted - or, I suspect, traded - any time soon. Whether that's a sensible approach is another question.

• 2 months later...

Had to go back to the 4th page to find this thread....something I have never done before....kinda feels like a coming of age thing.

But with all the callups and line shuffling going on I thought it might be relevant to bring this one back.

I like the use of the teams St. Johns depth its really a nice thing to see, but lost in all of this is the team actually on the verge of struggling for the first time this season. This makes me ask a few questions about who is playing with who.

Such as:

When will Galchenyuk get a shot with Pacioretty?

Is it time for Tinordi to get a look?

If the callups fall short of expectations what is the first move Bergevin makes?

what do you guys think?

Such as:

When will Galchenyuk get a shot with Pacioretty?

Is it time for Tinordi to get a look?

If the callups fall short of expectations what is the first move Bergevin makes?

- Galchenyuk was put with Pacioretty in the back half of the 3rd last night. (Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Andrighetto)

- They can't seem to make room for Pateryn right now so no, it's not time for Tinordi to get a look. Pateryn is the better player of the two so if they're changing up the D pairings, it should be to make room for him.

- There aren't really many expectations for the callups. Most of them are on the fourth line and are just lineup fillers until the regulars return. Andrighetto is really the only one with some sort of expectations and he too is just a temporary filler. If he starts to struggle, I think they'll dip back to the minors to try someone like Hudon before looking at a trade.

AG's line should get 3-5 more minutes of icetime! 2nd line has proven themselves as a legitimate threat since the Andrighetto call up. And what's with the blender? I get it that we're injured, but DD/Dale Weise almost playing 20 minutes against any top pair D is ridiculous! Those two and flash have been our best line..as a third line, they match up favorably with anyone! Why not try Carr alongside Plex and Max and put everyone else back where they belong. Holy Christ, I'm hoping this Carolina game was only an experiment, and MT comes back to reality! Because if we don't get this shitshow turned around, we could quite possibly lose nearly all of our remaining Dec games! And don't even get me started on Markov..with the heavy Dec schedule, where is he going to rest?