2015-16 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Pittsburgh acquires Carl Hagelin from Anaheim in exchange for David Perron and Adam Clendening. What in the world is Pittsburgh doing? They're already in cap trouble for next year and just added $4 M to that payroll for next season plus two more. It's not like Hagelin is playing all that well either (neither is Perron but at least he's a pending UFA). Rutherford just put the Pens into an even bigger cap constraint moving forward with not a whole lot to show for it.

Rutherford is destroying the Pens exactly the same way he killed the Canes - just as I thought he would.

Agree - especially with Perron having the shorter contract

Perron is the kind of "not working out over here" type of guy I would have loved to take a chance on by swapping Eller or Desharnais for.

Agree - especially with Perron having the shorter contract

our guys have similar stats and less cap than Hagelin too, it would have been something to explore if this was the deal Pittsburgh ended up accepting.

Unless Pittsburgh had a policy of not trading him within the conference - or else his scouting suggests that Perron has serious flaws that will make him a poor fit here - this does seem to be a case of Bergevin napping. This could have been a chance to change the bad chemistry in the FW makeup a bit. Frustrating.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I went to see Cats/Oilers tonight.

Kassian looked pretty good, and effective in a 3rd/4th line role. He's in pretty good shape, threw some hits, and got under the skin of several players. The Panthers defense were rushed by him on the forecheck.

I wasn't impressed, however, with his breakway vs Montoya, he missed a chance to bury the game on a goalie having a rough night. Then he bungled a 2 v 1 on a bad pass, and I had to conclude that he just doesn't have the hands to be a top-6 guy. But he would have played some good games with the Habs if things happened differently.

A lot of credit to him for making a quick comeback.

Hey, at least the oilers are winning with him in the lineup. Who knows, with more games and getting his timing , he may start producing as well.

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but I went to see Cats/Oilers tonight.

Kassian looked pretty good, and effective in a 3rd/4th line role. He's in pretty good shape, threw some hits, and got under the skin of several players. The Panthers defense were rushed by him on the forecheck.

I wasn't impressed, however, with his breakway vs Montoya, he missed a chance to bury the game on a goalie having a rough night. Then he bungled a 2 v 1 on a bad pass, and I had to conclude that he just doesn't have the hands to be a top-6 guy. But he would have played some good games with the Habs if things happened differently.

A lot of credit to him for making a quick comeback.

Guest Stogey24

He looked a lot better than I thought he would, he hasn't played more than four or five meaningful games in 10 months.

He's a good hockey player if he can keep his head screwed on and stay off the IR.

Bergevin's ego made that trade with the Oilers, if you ask me.

18 goals in his last 82 games (prior to this year)... would have looked pretty good in this Habs lineup. Its not great but a 15-20 goal guy with size isn't something we could afford to turn our noses up at.

Kassian not getting a chance here is a legit complaint in my mind.

18 goals in his last 82 games (prior to this year)... would have looked pretty good in this Habs lineup. Its not great but a 15-20 goal guy with size isn't something we could afford to turn our noses up at.

Oh, I agree 100%. It was stupid (or desperate) to trade him.

"Kassian returns, sparks Habs to break slump" could have been a story. Instead we'll never know.

Mistreatment? give me a break, that's total BS.

Bergevin signed both to 1 year deals, NHL has played over 1/2 season, how many points does Kassian & Semin have?

Emelin has more points than both combined.

Not another GM would touch Semin with 10 foot pole and Kassian is onto his 4th team, who cant get any worse, so what risk is playing him.

Guest Stogey24

Mistreatment? give me a break, that's total BS.

Bergevin signed both to 1 year deals, NHL has played over 1/2 season, how many points does Kassian & Semin have?

Emelin has more points than both combined.

Not another GM would touch Semin with 10 foot pole and Kassian is onto his 4th team, who cant get any worse, so what risk is playing him.

Ya, really glad we got that plug goaltender Scrivens. Kassian probably could have stopped more pucks than him

Reading an article in Hockey Talk-- Lapierre is leaving Europe because of interest over here. To play here this year, I believe he would have to be signed, then passed through waivers?

Yes, he would have to go through waivers once he signs a contract. Apparently Lapierre is the fourth player to leave that SHL team this season. He's -17 in 34 games in Sweden this year.

Reading an article in Hockey Talk-- Lapierre is leaving Europe because of interest over here. To play here this year, I believe he would have to be signed, then passed through waivers?

Oh goody let's get him back. Another mouthy 4th liner is exactly what we need.