Montreal Canadiens vs. Pittsburgh Penguins | November 11th, 2015 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

Emelin > Tinordi

Obviously

How do we know dude? Tinordi never gets more than a shift/chance or 2 for us to judge.

Emelin is pretty smelly, even after all this time, I still cringe when he is trying to clear, or pinching... really Tinordi could be much worse at clearing, or moving the puck, even losing the chance to clear up the boards is better than Emelin's passes to opposing players.

Politics is why Tinordi and Pateryn are not playing, we are not icing our best lineup, and most of us know it... :wall:

Guest Stogey24

I will stop the Emelin ripping, but I completely agree KoRP. It's like Emelin can do no wrong. He'll turn the puck over like 5 times, then be out for the final minute of the game. Therrien has his boys, that's for sure.

How do we know dude? Tinordi never gets more than a shift/chance or 2 for us to judge.

Emelin is pretty smelly, even after all this time, I still cringe when he is trying to clear, or pinching... really Tinordi could be much worse at clearing, or moving the puck, even losing the chance to clear up the boards is better than Emelin's passes to opposing players.

Politics is why Tinordi and Pateryn are not playing, we are not icing our best lineup, and most of us know it... :wall:

Well said.

Dave Tippet to a young player not getting a good a shot as he believes he is worthy of. "Politics kid, you are only as good as they want you to be"

Emelin has a big contract. The other two don't.

I would take Pateryn over Emelin in a heart beat. He is a better hockey player, and a much smarter hockey player.

Tiny? Be hard pressed to say Emelin is better than him.

Politics ain't nothing new in this game.

Scott Gomez went a full calendar year without a goal. Remained top six and pp the entire time. Why? his contract.

Were there better players in the organization that could have contributed more in his position? Yes. Did they replace him with one of those players? No.

Now eventually Gomez was bought out. But for two full years he held a job that could have been given to a better player.

Politics and contract size are a sometimes the deciding factor. Much to fans dismay.

I really like what I have seen of Pateryns game. I think he should be in there. That would mean trading someone Emelin more than likely but that contract holds up the process.

Emelin has no bearing on Pateryn's playing status. One is a left D, the other a right D. Gilbert is ahead of Pateryn while Emelin is ahead of Tinordi.

Bit off-topic but ; Was noted by Momesso that Yannick Weber refused a conditioning stint in Hamilton before, so wouldnt be unprecedented if Tinordi has done same?

Hopefully Habs 3 on 3 OT record dosent follow last year's Bulldog success.

Emelin has no bearing on Pateryn's playing status. One is a left D, the other a right D. Gilbert is ahead of Pateryn while Emelin is ahead of Tinordi.

It doesn't matter how many times people repeat it. They will continue to think Pateryn can just play LD as fine as RD, and Tinordi can play RD as well as LD.

It doesn't matter how many times people repeat it. They will continue to think Pateryn can just play LD as fine as RD, and Tinordi can play RD as well as LD.

Emelin plays both poorly.....but he spends no time in the press box.

Politics and contract.

Bit off-topic but ; Was noted by Momesso that Yannick Weber refused a conditioning stint in Hamilton before, so wouldnt be unprecedented if Tinordi has done same?

Hopefully Habs 3 on 3 OT record dosent follow last year's Bulldog success.

If I were to speculate, I'd suggest that more players refuse than accept, especially older ones coming off an injury where the team wants the player to play a few games in the AHL to get their timing back. I wouldn't be shocked if Tinordi has been asked (and has refused) and that the public denials to the contrary are just to avoid any 'frenzy' or extra trade speculation. But that's simply my guess.

The 3 on 3 OT last night looked better. I still don't like that it's often played at the pace of an All-Star game (unless it's an odd man rush, then it's go all out) but some of the possession mistakes the Habs made in the preseason (dump and chase in this situation is an absolute no-no) looked like they had been corrected. That's at least a start. I just hope Lefebvre didn't provide any insight on what to do in 3-on-3 OT's.

Eh, Les Canadiens are off to the best start in franchise history. That's right franchise history...that means, even better than the 76-77 team that went 60-8-12!!!

And you think we are not icing our best line-up!!!! because of politics???!! If that was not sarcasm, please give your head a shake.

Tinordi will get in when Therrien feels it is the best interest of the team to rest a d-man or there is an injury. Same with Pateryn. The End

• Upvote 1

First of all as a preface, I've never had anything against Tinordi.

We know because we've seen him play for awhile now. In preseason. In the regular season. In the playoffs. We know because he practices with the team every day and you don't hear a single person actually involved with the team complaining that he has not gotten a fair shot. Matter of fact, you rarely hear his name mentioned. We also know because Emein is 4th on the Habs defensive depth chart, whereas Tinordi is 8th.

It's one thing to dislike Emelin and it's another to be a Jarred Tinordi fan. Not everyone, but in my opinion, there are many people who seem to like Jarred Tinordi simply because they dislike Emelin. After all, why would they like him since some would say we don't know if he's good or bad? We've never seen him get a shot. So how do we know there's anything to like?

Emelin's weakness is certainly as has been mentioned, mainly turnovers as well as ill advised pinches. Let's not point out any of his positives. I guarantee you that there are more players in the NHL who simply despise playing against Emelin than players who would think twice about going in on Tinordi 1 on 1. That type of mentality that other teams have to deal with is well worth the difference in contract money, whether he's overpaid or not. I'm glad we have Alex Emelin.

Politics?

I see the only politics here as the Tinordi family giving the Canadiens a reason to hold a grudge against them. Tinordi's father is the only father who doesn't show up? Tinordi doesn't go down for a conditioning stint? (If true) I once again have nothing against Tinordi and so very look forward to him cracking the lineup and unlike many who have their doubts about his future with the club, I think he'll actually get a shot and potentially thrive. But with all that info gee, his family is really giving the Habs organization a reason to go out of their way for him.

• Upvote 1

I hammer on Emelin, but the truth is Emelin is one of our top 6 dmen.

The problem is that he's no where close to being worth 4 million.

but is Emelin better than Tinordi? From what I've seen yes, yes he is.

I'd rather see Emelin traded, Beaulieu moved up to 20 minutes a game, Tinordi/Barberio rotate on the third pair and the three million in cost savings be put towards upgrading Chucky's right winger.. but that doesn't mean Emelin isn't better than Tinordi as long as he is still here.

That said... the likely outcome i see here is tinordi will go the way of O'Byrne, traded away for a prospect or pick the organization values more highly than him.

• Upvote 1

Given how ruthles Bergevin has been at dumping overpaid players, I would think "organizational politics" would mean the Habs WANT Tinordi to replace Emelin.

The fact that he hasn't is NOT proof of a conspiracy by the Habs to hold back Tinordi. If anything, it is proof of how crappy Tinordi is. He can't beat Emelin out of that job despite being younger and cheaper. The end.

I cant understand all the whining about losing a roadgame in shotouts against a highly skilled offensive team without our best player.

It's also the first game this year Condon allowed more than two goals, our second period was dominant from what some are saying and Penguins have turned a corner after their early losses. Gilbert also took that stupid penalty. Stupid stupid stupid.

It was a good road game with ups and downs.

Given how ruthles Bergevin has been at dumping overpaid players, I would think "organizational politics" would mean the Habs WANT Tinordi to replace Emelin.

The fact that he hasn't is NOT proof of a conspiracy by the Habs to hold back Tinordi. If anything, it is proof of how crappy Tinordi is. He can't beat Emelin out of that job despite being younger and cheaper. The end.

If that's the case, well Beavis, that really sucks... :cry_smile:

I was not only beating the Tinordi drum, but Pateryn's as well, he is physical, can fight, and has a degree of skill in terms of a shot and PP experience in the A, and when was the law of balanced defense in terms of shooting side implemented? If this is the new law of things, than replace Gilbert with Pateryn, I'm fine with that.

Emelin is one of our top 6 defense, and usually he sucks at most every aspect of the game, except hitting, but alas,

you management booster club guys win, I give up. :halm:

I was not only beating the Tinordi drum, but Pateryn's as well, he is physical, can fight, and has a degree of skill in terms of a shot and PP experience in the A, and when was the law of balanced defense in terms of shooting side implemented? If this is the new law of things, than replace Gilbert with Pateryn, I'm fine with that.

Emelin is one of our top 6 defense, and usually he sucks at most every aspect of the game, except hitting, but alas,

Applause. Standing ovation for this post.

After last night Gilbert should come out for Pateryn.

Why, did Pitt score because of Gilbert? Did they lose because of him? I don't recall Gilbert doing anything too bad, penalty was bit of goof up but not as "Stupid" as some as complaining about.

But, wouldn't break my heart if Gregory does finally get a game. Again we are talking about a bottom six d-man, so not a big deal which one dresses.

No they didn't score because of him... but they were gifted a PP at the end of regulation because of a bad play, and another in OT because of a bad play. His teammates bailed him out, but doesn't excuse the fact he lost concentration and put us in a bad spot twice.

It's not a 'law' but most players have a drop off in performance when they play their off-side. We saw it with Gorges and Emelin (both thrown on the right side) in the past while Gilbert didn't look too sharp on the left side alongside Pateryn late last year. Gonchar was hit or miss as a righty but at his age, he was going to be that way on either side in all likelihood. In Tinordi's case, he did not fare well to put it lightly on his off-side in past years.

Could Pateryn play the left side? Sure. In theory, anyone can. But when you factor in the likely drop in his play when you put him there, it's not an ideal scenario. Pateryn as a RD ≠ Pateryn as a LD. Thus, 'Plan A' for the Habs would be to keep Pateryn on the right which puts him in a battle with Gilbert and Tinordi on the left which has him battling Emelin. I don't think many would be upset to see Pateryn get in a game or two for Gilbert either.

Many teams have someone playing their off-side by default since not a lot have 3 RD/LD. However, if a team can avoid that situation, they're probably better off for it in most circumstances.

A lot of complaining on here for a team that has only TWICE this year not scored points in a game.

By the sounds of the board and complaints about crappy players one would think the team has only 2 wins.

I'll just enjoy the ride, the are currently playing very well.