2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

What does juulsen project to be. Top pair guy? 

No, likely should hope for a #4/2nd pairing guy who is smart and can defend well, but will be a while to develop also...is my guess anyways.

4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Don't know much about the kid, but THN profiles him as 6'2, C, very fast skater, good two way game, with offensive upside. What's not to like? The only caveat is that he's clearly a work in progress at this juncture - he might not really mark an upgrade on Danault in the short term, which may be an issue for a team in Win Now mode.

Who, specifically, do you see going the other way? Juulsen?

I got to see a lot of Athanasiou in junior and he's not someone I'd want unless it was dirt cheap.  He can fly...and that's about it.  Anything that profiles him as a two-way player is laughable.  At least at the junior level, it was noteworthy if he actually made it back inside the defensive zone some nights.  He liked to cherry pick and score on breakaways (and he was quite good at those).  I imagine at the pro level they've taught him that defence is actually something he should pay attention to but by no means is he anywhere near good at it.  He also is terrified of contact and will go out of the way to avoid it.

He's a bigger Paul Byron with better finishing skills but a fraction of the defensive ability and willingness to engage physically.  There's a use for him but he's not a core potential player and certainly not worth moving a high quality defensive prospect for.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Stogey24 said:

Doesn't seem like much for Bishop

If they end up getting the second round pick for him its not too bad but I doubt they ever do as I could see it being conditional on games played. With Quick now healthy and Budaj filling in wonderfully in Quick's past absence this trade just doesn't make sense to me. 

12 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bishop and a 5th to LA for Budaj, a 2nd round prospect, a 7th, and a conditional pick. 

Hanzal and White to MIN for a 1st, a 2nd, and a conditional pick that could become a 2nd.  That's a lot for Hanzal.

But just the right amount for White.

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Bishop and a 5th to LA for Budaj, a 2nd round prospect, a 7th, and a conditional pick. 

Hanzal and White to MIN for a 1st, a 2nd, and a conditional pick that could become a 2nd.  That's a lot for Hanzal.

So why in the heck would you trade budaji for Bishop? I mean peter would have been a good back for this year. Bishop is not happy as a back up. Crazy trades this year.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Agreed.  Glad MB stayed away from that.  Still hoping he makes a move before Tuesday though.

Just now, Machine of Loving Grace said:

I have no idea what Ottawa is thinking on this one. Dahlen is 19 and a former second rounder. For Burrows? A UFA with 9 goals?

I can't believe VANCOUVER fleeced somebody.

Burrows trade comes with an extension, 2 years, $2.5 million per year.

Yeah, still don't know what Ottawa is thinking. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Commandant said:

:o Good Lord. This from the supposed 'master scout' Benning

I can't believe that trade either. Just about fell out of my chair. Of course, in Vancouver, where Burrows is regarded as a beloved core player, the deal is well-received, but they have no idea what a fleecing it actually is, because they think Burrows is more than a has-been. Dorion must have been snorting crack when Benning came at him with that proposal.

(On another note, I don't get why Jeff Patterson is so marginalized on TSN radio in Vancouver. His analysis is measured and informed, versus some of the other clowns they have on there. But I guess this isn't the venue for that discussion!)

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

Meh, Boyle isn't that good. 

Didn't say he was, just seems like a smart signing for a young team and would rather see them trade picks-prospects for washed up vet, as they used to.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic