2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

I'm rooting for a Boston matchup because it's always a great series and to be able to beat them with the coach they fired would make it extra sweet. I also don't mind a Rangers series because we seem to play them well and as CC mentioned, it would be great to get some revenge from a couple years ago. 

I think that Boston has been playing above their heads a bit. You have to think that they would be the better matchup. Both Rask and Lundqvist have trouble with the Canadiens for some reason,  so that's a good thing. 

There are no easy matchups in a league with parity and in which only the top 50% of teams make the playoffs. So I'm not fretting about it. If this team can't beat the Rags or the BOs - teams that, like us, are outside the inner circle of elite contenders - it's not going to win anything anyway. Bring on either team, is my philosophy.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

It was announced that Lindy Ruff will not return as coach in Dallas next season.

Any other likely firings? Rowe in Florida has gotten some heat, for sure.

I heard Sutter might not be returning to LA next year.

Guest Stogey24

I heard that last year the L.A team put garabge cans in front of the door so sutter couldn't get in the room after a loss. I thought that would be the end of him, but who knows the truth to that. 

6 hours ago, Stogey24 said:

I heard that last year the L.A team put garabge cans in front of the door so sutter couldn't get in the room after a loss. I thought that would be the end of him, but who knows the truth to that. 

That was last year

17 hours ago, Trizzak said:

It was announced that Lindy Ruff will not return as coach in Dallas next season.

Any other likely firings? Rowe in Florida has gotten some heat, for sure.

Rowe already announced he is out. 

Holy cow !!!

Draisaitl put up 2 pts in his final game and took the 10th position in the  pts/game ranking in the NHL.

By doing so, he sent  Jack Eichel back to 11th seed by 0,01 pt/game.

Eichel missed a 2M$ bonus because of that !!!!!

11 minutes ago, DON said:

I assume both Gallagher & Galchenyuk missed on any big bonuses (if had them).

Neither are on ELCs.   They are both on the second contract so no bonuses. 

No word on who hit bonuses, but the following potential bonuses were available. (only counting guys who actually played a significant number of games). 

McCarron - $212,000

Lehkonen - $257,500

I'm guessing McCarron didn't hit his. 

No idea what Lehkonen's bonus was for, but as good a season as he had, i doubt he hit max bonus.  He might have hit a small bonus.  Dunno. 

Either way we have plenty of cap space and it won't spill into next year. 

11 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

aaaaaand he's gone. 

He was basically a guy hired to oversee a painful transitional period - the decline of the Sedins, coupled with a gradual accumulation of fairly promising young players.

The new guy will inherit a critical mass of those promising young players. I would expect the team to begin its upward arc next year...not necessarily making the playoffs, but looking and playing like a team with a decent future.

Vancouver fans, meanwhile, have demonstrated that ownership was right all along that they would not support a rebuild. They got what they wanted and both complained and decline to attend games. :rolleyes:

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

McCarron - $212,000

Lehkonen - $257,500

I'm guessing McCarron didn't hit his. 

No idea what Lehkonen's bonus was for, but as good a season as he had, i doubt he hit max bonus.  He might have hit a small bonus.  Dunno.

At $212,500, it's safe to suggest McCarron's was hitting a Class A category.  He didn't come close to any of those.  If I had to guess, I imagine Lehkonen's is a Class A plus maybe something for games played.  He didn't qualify for any of those either.

• dlbalr unpinned this topic