2016-17 NHL Season Thread

dlbalr

Just now, Habsfan84 said:

Lets see how big of return it is. Washington will be the team to beat in the East.

The best team just got so much better that when I thought about the Habs potentially facing the Caps in the Eastern Conference finals I peed a little. 

1 hour ago, Trizzak said:

The best team just got so much better that when I thought about the Habs potentially facing the Caps in the Eastern Conference finals I peed a little. 

Really?  Caps will implode in the playoffs like they always do.  Every year.  And we'll all blame Overchkin.

39% salary retained. 

Blues get Brad Malone as well

Also the Capitals don't own a 2018 second rounder (Habs own it)... they have to acquire a 2018 2nd before the draft, or give the Blues a 2nd plus another pick in 2019.

The Caps get Pheonix Copley (they had him before, they traded him as part of the Oshie deal). 

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

That's a nice return for Washington.  Sanford's a quality youngster and two decent picks.  That said, the 2nd in 2018 is a bit odd...the Habs have that pick, not Washington.

the second conditional is in 2019

9 hours ago, Machine of Loving Grace said:

Yes but not 50%

Nice to see Washington go all in. No better chance than now.

Yes...too bad they didn't have a Filip Forsberg to trade to really add a another quality player.:D

17 hours ago, Commandant said:

Dorion got fleeced by a guy who does his scouting on youtube

I wonder how much Marc Crawford's influence played a role? Crawford was the coach who gave Burrows a career. He also seems prone to being disastrously loyal to players that he liked in the past, as with the Cloutier debacle in LA.

I've noticed that hockey people often seem to be naive about the aging process, tending to assume that players who impressed them a few years ago must still be the same guy they were back then. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Crow still thinks Burrows is the guy he once knew, rather than a washed-up has-been, and influenced the Sens to give him that idiotic contract extension.

23 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

K, but Byron was on Habs' radar after they watched a YouTube video of his missed breakaway opportunities...

Who knows, maybe YouTube scouting is standard practice.

Honestly, my guess would be this. The scouts watch players at various levels. The GM relies on their reports, for the most part. YouTube and other video 'evidence' come into play when scouts are trying to demonstrate a player's merits and demerits to a GM. 'Here's an example of the kind of thing he can do...'

In that sense, Benning's reference may have been no more than an honest admission of how the scout/GM relationship actually works.

43 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Who knows, maybe YouTube scouting is standard practice.

Honestly, my guess would be this. The scouts watch players at various levels. The GM relies on their reports, for the most part. YouTube and other video 'evidence' come into play when scouts are trying to demonstrate a player's merits and demerits to a GM. 'Here's an example of the kind of thing he can do...'

In that sense, Benning's reference may have been no more than an honest admission of how the scout/GM relationship actually works.

pro scouting is Dudley's job

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Patrick Sharp has been playing through a nagging injury.  Suddenly, my interest in him as a trade target has dropped. 

Maybe get him cheap then and rest him for 4 or 5 weeks till needed?

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Goldobin and a conditional fourth is the Hansen return.  (4th becomes 1st if Sharks win cup). 

Who kidnapped Benning and replaced him with a good GM?

Yeah, I'm in shock. Maybe he made an important discovery last year that not trading a SINGLE expiring contract is a stupid idea when your team is hopelessly out of the playoffs. :wacko:

• dlbalr unpinned this topic