Vancouver Canucks vs. Montreal Canadiens | November 2nd, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

There is a LOT of concern in Vancouver about the state of the Canucks. Four losses in a row, going into a brutal 9-game road trip?? Willie D has got to be wondering about that Sword of Damocles. (Not that he's to blame, necessarily, for a crap roster with declining Sedins; but if I were the dummies running that franchise, it wouldn't take me too much longer to throw Desjardins to the curb and hire Bob Hartley). Meanwhile, the local buzz around the Habs here in Van is that they're contenders and a team to be feared. :thumbs_up:

55 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

There is a LOT of concern in Vancouver about the state of the Canucks. Four losses in a row, going into a brutal 9-game road trip?? Willie D has got to be wondering about that Sword of Damocles. (Not that he's to blame, necessarily, for a crap roster with declining Sedins; but if I were the dummies running that franchise, it wouldn't take me too much longer to throw Desjardins to the curb and hire Bob Hartley). Meanwhile, the local buzz around the Habs here in Van is that they're contenders and a team to be feared. :thumbs_up:

How does Edler look

Is he a guy we could/should go after later in the season as a partner for Weber?  Does he have the speed?

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I'd also be shocked if the Canucks bench Stecher. 

If Tanev comes off IR, Stecher may be headed back to the AHL.  Tryamkin is the only other waiver-exempt guy and he already has invoked his clause to block an AHL assignment (and he's apparently playing with Sbisa tomorrow).  Alex Biega could be waived but he'd still have to be on the roster for tomorrow during the waiver period.  Long story short, there's a good chance Stecher doesn't play this one if Tanev is ready to play.

He's been their best defenceman over the last week or so.

The Canucks management is really inept if they can't find a way to keep him in the lineup with the way he's played. 

Luca Sbisa, Alex Biega, just get rid of one and be done with it. 

I don't disagree that he's played well.  But if Tanev comes off IR, someone has to come off the roster - they can't carry nine d-men.  The waiver exempt guy becomes the logical choice, even if it's only for one day while someone else goes through waivers.  Either way, there's a decent chance Stecher will have to sit unless they invent an injury for someone else (or Tanev stays on IR).

44 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I suppose they could carry 12 F and 9 D, rare as that may be.

Just curious now...when was the last time a NHL team dressed 9d for a game? Is that a searchable stat?

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

How does Edler look

Is he a guy we could/should go after later in the season as a partner for Weber?  Does he have the speed?

Haven't watched the Canucks much this year. Edler used to be pretty impressive at moving the puck, but he seems to have regressed somewhat in that respect - whether due to different usage (being asked to carry more 'defensive' and PK responsibility, for instance, or more anal-retentive coaching between Mad Man Torts and plodding Mr D), or other reasons, I'm not sure. But even in his heyday Edler was somewhat erratic. Now he's had some injuries and doesn't really seem to be the presence he once was. You can't even blame his partner, because he's generally paired with the smoothly competent Chris Tannev. Maybe a change of scenery would help him; a guy like that, who is a 'beta' rather than an 'alpha' type, might flourish on a stronger roster and has sort of been toiling away in the vineyards of futility than Vancouver represents. In terms of LD who can log top-4 minutes and conceivable make an impact, he'd warrant consideration, but I find myself - maybe unfairly - with little faith in him to bring his 'A' game when you need it. He'll either get hurt or have one of his 'bad' phases.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Just curious now...when was the last time a NHL team dressed 9d for a game? Is that a searchable stat?

They wouldn't dress 9.

They'd just keep 9 for one or two days (with 3 D in the press box) until waiving Biega (or Sbisa) and then calling up a forward. 

I hope the boys will remember that it was the Canucks that stopped our 9 game winning streak last year. Tiem for some revenge!! Even though the Canucks are struggling right now, we can't take them lightly. We need to be aggressive and look to take an early lead. My guess is that if we go up 2-3 goals, the Canucks are gonna abandon!

I was shocked to see the Canucks were at .500 a few days ago, what a hopeless team.  Is Horvat even any good?  And Ericksson seems to have shat the bed right from the outset. 

So we best not have a stinker against them. 

The Canucks are close to being a bona-fide organizational basket case.

The Sedins have begun their decline, but there is hardly a single 'grade A' FW prospect in the system other than maybe Brock Boeser. Jake Virtanen stands to be good, but will he ever be more than a third liner? Will Bo Horvat? It's not clear the organization has any real plan for replacing the aging twins. I guess they're gambling that top-line talent will be available as UFAs once the twins are off the books.

On D, it's a similar situation - maybe worse. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/vancouver_canucks/

The franchise simply has not drafted well enough and has not recovered from the selling of picks and assets during the Gillis era. And Benning has been almost laughably inept at securing back picks and young assets in return for expiring contracts (e.g., the Dan Hamhuis disaster, or Vrbata). Heck, in one case, he let an asset go for nothing (that TO defenceman whose name escapes me at the moment) due to incompetent personnel management.

As for the extant roster, Ericksson will surely find his groove, but they're in a position where if one player slumps, their offence goes kaput. Not sustainable.

If you're going to do what the owners want and 'be competitive' while 'retooling on the fly,' the only way to avoid disaster is to have ace scouting and player development. (Heck, you could argue that this is precisely what the Habs have done, drafting gems like Gallagher and Subban). It's not at all clear that the Canucks have either. And they do not have a fan-base that can be trusted to continue coming to games for an extended, serious rebuild.

It could be years of mediocrity for this franchise.

I'm glad I remembered to mention that Plekanec will score tonight.

:gohabsgo:

23 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I just don't understand a man living in Vancouver when he's tasted Chicoutimi. :wacko:

21 hours ago, DON said:

I used to have some socks size 9D. 

I don't know why I said that. 

Or that. 

Never mind. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The Canucks are close to being a bona-fide organizational basket case.

The Sedins have begun their decline, but there is hardly a single 'grade A' FW prospect in the system other than maybe Brock Boeser. Jake Virtanen stands to be good, but will he ever be more than a third liner? Will Bo Horvat? It's not clear the organization has any real plan for replacing the aging twins. I guess they're gambling that top-line talent will be available as UFAs once the twins are off the books.

On D, it's a similar situation - maybe worse. http://www.hockeysfuture.com/teams/vancouver_canucks/

The franchise simply has not drafted well enough and has not recovered from the selling of picks and assets during the Gillis era. And Benning has been almost laughably inept at securing back picks and young assets in return for expiring contracts (e.g., the Dan Hamhuis disaster, or Vrbata). Heck, in one case, he let an asset go for nothing (that TO defenceman whose name escapes me at the moment) due to incompetent personnel management.

As for the extant roster, Ericksson will surely find his groove, but they're in a position where if one player slumps, their offence goes kaput. Not sustainable.

If you're going to do what the owners want and 'be competitive' while 'retooling on the fly,' the only way to avoid disaster is to have ace scouting and player development. (Heck, you could argue that this is precisely what the Habs have done, drafting gems like Gallagher and Subban). It's not at all clear that the Canucks have either. And they do not have a fan-base that can be trusted to continue coming to games for an extended, serious rebuild.

It could be years of mediocrity for this franchise.

That's really a shame. They've added lots of excitement to this league.