Dec. 10, Avalanche vs Habs, 7 PM

dlbalr

Emelin's hit was a great hip check, a dying art.

Hockey games are 60 minutes long.

Emelin shouldn't have to fight because he threw a great check.

Gary Galley sucks...

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, dlbalr said:

This should be a nice opportunity to give Weber a lesser workload and really balance the ice time out. 

Beaulieu lead team in icetime with 22+, Markov kept to 18+minutes. Ice time spread out well among forwards also.

Pacioretty jumps to tied for 20th in scoring.

Radulov/Galchenyuk tied for 26th.

Quite a game.

11 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I didn't like the hit - more the timing than anything.  It's 10-1, that wasn't needed, especially considering the whole game had been played with the intensity of an intrasquad matchup.  The Habs are fortunate that Colorado's tough guy didn't dress or those last few minutes could have gone a lot differently.

Clean hit, Emelin dosent score but he can do something well. Don't care if they had tough dressed or not, neither would Emelin and if it was their tough guy coming down the boards, Emelin would of done same thing to him.

I agree given the blowout, was unnecessary and seems unsportsmanlike, but would Pacioretty of passed up on an open net for his 5th goal? Not a chance.  

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Trizzak said:

EMELIN SMASH

Good one.

CBC, "if you toss a big hit, you must follow up by fighting with whoever runs at you!"

I did laugh when Emelin then bowled over old timer Iginla. Retire already buddy.

2 hours ago, IN THE HEARTS OF MEN said:

danault continues to completely impress me. MB was on to something when he had him included in the deal sending fleish and weise to the hawks.  he's getting better by the game and is really tough to knock off the puck. 

I find Danault great at protecting puck along the boards.

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Clean hit, Emelin dosent score but he can do something well. Don't care if they had tough dressed or not, neither would Emelin and if it was their tough guy coming down the boards, Emelin would of done same thing to him.

I agree given the blowout, was unnecessary and seems unsportsmanlike, but would Pacioretty of passed up on an open net for his 5th goal? Not a chance.  

There a difference where if Pacioretty scores another goal, someone on the other team won't be seeking revenge on one of his teammates. Luckily nothing happened - the referees were smart enough to make sure Emelin was out of the game - but Colorado could easily have retaliated with a cheap shot on Pacioretty or one of our other key players before the end of the game. I don't have a problem with the hit itself, but the selfishness of risking angering an already down opponent for some cheap cheers. 

28 minutes ago, DON said:

Good one.

CBC, "if you toss a big hit, you must follow up by fighting with whoever runs at you!"

I did laugh when Emelin then bowled over old timer Iginla. Retire already buddy.

I was thinking that MTL should grab Iginla for the playoff drive but after watching him last night, man he looked old.

Lets grab Cammalleri instead :)

Great game though!

3 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

There a difference where if Pacioretty scores another goal, someone on the other team won't be seeking revenge on one of his teammates. Luckily nothing happened - the referees were smart enough to make sure Emelin was out of the game - but Colorado could easily have retaliated with a cheap shot on Pacioretty or one of our other key players before the end of the game. I don't have a problem with the hit itself, but the selfishness of risking angering an already down opponent for some cheap cheers. 

Sorry, I don't buy that argument.

Guest Stogey24
5 minutes ago, CerebusClone said:

As KoRP said, the game is 60 minutes. Keep your head up. Killer instinct.

I like how someone else pointed out about Emelin having a face full of metal. Gary Galley Basically called him a pussy for not fighting. He shouldn't have to. Hitting is a legal part of the game. 

Danault is a helluva bottom-6 player. I could not have been more wrong in dismissing him last season as a forgettable nothing of a player. He's smart, consistent, and tough to play against.

Garry Galley is mediocre as a colour man.  That's the real issue, not anti-Habs bias. I still wish they'd kept Mike Johnson, who was much less of a dinosaur.

Emelin broke the 'code'...the same code that says it's OK to smash a guy's face into a stanchion and to break a kid's arm for being too uppity. But lay a clean hit in the dying minutes of a blowout? Some sins cannot be forgiven.

40 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Emelin broke the 'code'...the same code that says it's OK to smash a guy's face into a stanchion and to break a kid's arm for being too uppity. But lay a clean hit in the dying minutes of a blowout? Some sins cannot be forgiven.

That Chara never had to pay a price for that as per 'the code' is a reflection of our milquetoast team philosophy.

On 10/12/2016 at 9:53 PM, dlbalr said:

I also would have liked to see Montoya play in the 3rd.  It's highly irregular to pull the goalie when you're winning but it would have been a chance to get Price off his skates knowing he'll be starting against Boston and give Montoya a bit more work.

But all in all, that was a fun game.  That might help erase the memories in Columbus a bit.

I love this thought and was thinking the same thing. Price had earned the win, I would love if they did this in any game where it was a blow out. There is zero sense in keeping him in the net.

1 hour ago, Jeff Price (no relation) said:

Funny how dead this forum is after Montreal dominates two games in a row like that.

I'm alive and well. Although I did think I was dreaming on Saturday.

That was a great feeling to win a game like that and not 2-1 or even 5-2, that one was over at the end of the 1st, can't say that too often.

On 12/11/2016 at 10:02 AM, DON said:

Sorry, I don't buy that argument.

If Emelin goes for the solid, clean shoulder-to-shoulder check on Colborne, I think everyone agrees that it is part of the game. Emelin cannot ignore his duties, and let Colborne skate past him, and get a good scoring opportunity. However in this case Emelin actually went for the more spectacular, dangerous, bending-over-to-reach-the-lower-body clipping type of hit. There was no need for that, and he knew what he was doing. Emelin wasn't going for a check, he was going for the somersault.

Clean hit.  

He didn't allow a guy to go past him...

If you don't want the other team to play defence, stop trying to score goals.  Colborne could have dumped it in the corner and skated off.  He didn't, he tried to make a play.  I have no problem with Emelin making a play and throwing a clean hit there.  None at all. 

1 minute ago, Commandant said:

Clean hit.  

He didn't allow a guy to go past him...

If you don't want the other team to play defence, stop trying to score goals.  Colborne could have dumped it in the corner and skated off.  He didn't, he tried to make a play.  I have no problem with Emelin making a play and throwing a clean hit there.  None at all. 

Yep, a clean hit is a clean hit. I love how Taylor Hall can almost cripple Phillip Larsson on a clean hit and everyone shrugs and says, "too bad about the head trauma, but it was a hockey play," while Emelin alley-oops a guy on an even more unambiguously clean check (where the head is not impacted at all) and all the Defenders of the Code are up in arms over this crime against humanity. Either #74 should have just let him sail by, apparently, or he should have analyzed his hit options and chosen the one that has the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval for Use in 10-1 Hockey Games. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Yep, a clean hit is a clean hit. I love how Taylor Hall can almost cripple Phillip Larsson on a clean hit and everyone shrugs and says, "too bad about the head trauma, but it was a hockey play," while Emelin alley-oops a guy on an even more unambiguously clean check (where the head is not impacted at all) and all the Defenders of the Code are up in arms over this crime against humanity. Either #74 should have just let him sail by, apparently, or he should have analyzed his hit options and chosen the one that has the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval for Use in 10-1 Hockey Games. :rolleyes:

Actually technically his hit was penalized, he got 2 minutes for clipping, so not that clean in the eyes of the referee ;)  Although I do think it was a legal hipceck, and not exactly clipping, but the referee was smart enough to kick Emelin out for the rest of the game 

I still think he could have gone for the shoulder hit, and not the more spectacular and dangerous hip check. 

But it's the type of hit where we defend our own players, and criticize the opponent's. Like Carey Price on Palmieri, since he's a Hab we found many ways to justify him pummeling a guy lying down on the ice with blocker punches (and being held down by Petry - who had actually pushed Palmieri into Price), like he had to defend himself, or he missed the head of the first so it's ok. Or when a player crashed the net and makes contact with the golaie, we love it when Gallagher does it, but we hated Kreider for doing it in the playoffs... unlike Emelin in this case, we didn't try to justify Kreider just doing his job he's pad for, going hard for the net, and try to score