Montreal Canadiens vs. Calgary Flames | March 9th, 2017 | 9:00 EST

Habsfan84

2 hours ago, l<OV4L3V said:

@Commandant. games like this prove corsi stats are irrelevant to team performance.

Ummm... I'm too lazy to look, but I am positive that Commandant will. Calgary crushed us in corsi by the 3rd period I am pretty sure. Shots were 38 to 24 and I think the shot attempt disparity was just as bad. If anything, this game as a single sample would absolutely prove the corsi is relevant.

2 hours ago, l<OV4L3V said:

@Commandant. games like this prove corsi stats are irrelevant to team performance.

How so? Calgary dominated possession.  70 shot attempts to 38 for Montreal.

This was a dominant display by Calgary both in possession and on the score board.

How does this game prove that Corsi is irrelevant... you literally couldn't have picked a worse example. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Commandant said:

How so? Calgary dominated possession.  70 shot attempts to 38 for Montreal.

This was a dominant display by Calgary both in possession and on the score board.

How does this game prove that Corsi is irrelevant... you literally couldn't have picked a worse example. 

There was less than zero discrepancy between corsi and eye test in this game, both were blinding bad...

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24
2 hours ago, Davehab said:

Looks like I made the right call by going to bed early. 

I got to the second and figured what's the point. 

1 hour ago, Lovett's Magnatones said:

At least we signed Simon Bourque.

Well, teams do tend to sign their own draft picks who do well in junior.:rolleyes:

LOL, man you guys are surly when it comes to off-games, which is what this was. Call me an optimist, but we just had a string of 6 wins. While not all were pretty, we did play as a solid team during most of them. This was terrible game, but not exactly the defining view of the team - which seems to be the narrative in a lot of this thread. I think they came in, high off their winning streak, thinking this would be an easy game. Calgary deserves credit for exploiting their weaknesses and keeping them on their heels all night long. They were sloppy as hell, seeming to think the plays would come together on their own without having to work for them (something Calgary was doing all night long).

Emelin is definitely worried about his status on the team, and you can see it in his play. Weber is great and all, but i highly doubt he's been masking Emelin for the 50+ games they mostly played together. He's unquestionably in a rut.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mineral said:

LOL, man you guys are surly when it comes to off-games, which is what this was. Call me an optimist, but we just had a string of 6 wins. While not all were pretty, we did play as a solid team during most of them. This was terrible game, but not exactly the defining view of the team - which seems to be the narrative in a lot of this thread. I think they came in, high off their winning streak, thinking this would be an easy game. Calgary deserves credit for exploiting their weaknesses and keeping them on their heels all night long. They were sloppy as hell, seeming to think the plays would come together on their own without having to work for them (something Calgary was doing all night long).

Emelin is definitely worried about his status on the team, and you can see it in his play. Weber is great and all, but i highly doubt he's been masking Emelin for the 50+ games they mostly played together. He's unquestionably in a rut.

You certainly are an optimist because you're creating a narrative of your own. There's no reason to take Calgary lightly as they are a playoff team. Not to mention a playoff team that had won 7 in a row themselves. I'm an optimist as well but there's no doubt that was one of the worst performances as a team this season. On the other hand, the team certainly does get shutout all too often and while I still think we have a team that can do damage, it is the worrying symptom.

1 hour ago, mineral said:

We beat a horrible Canucks team 2-1, albeit totally outplaying them and dominated a rangers team that hasn't looked all that good.  First game without price in a while, we get hammered and get shutout again.

We still have the same problem all year of not enough goal scorers.  But all is good, MB got 4 more grinders and added more size and character, giving us the all important truculence that Brian Burke that would make the leafs a contender.  Did you notice how SLOW we were compared to the flames yesterday?

47 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

You certainly are an optimist because you're creating a narrative of your own. There's no reason to take Calgary lightly as they are a playoff team. Not to mention a playoff team that had won 7 in a row themselves. I'm an optimist as well but there's no doubt that was one of the worst performances as a team this season. On the other hand, the team certainly does get shutout all too often and while I still think we have a team that can do damage, it is the worrying symptom.

You certainly are a pessimist...:tumbleweed:

22 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

We beat a horrible Canucks team 2-1, albeit totally outplaying them and dominated a rangers team that hasn't looked all that good.  First game without price in a while, we get hammered and get shutout again.

We still have the same problem all year of not enough goal scorers.  But all is good, MB got 4 more grinders and added more size and character, giving us the all important truculence that Brian Burke that would make the leafs a contender.  Did you notice how SLOW we were compared to the flames yesterday?

We looked slow, however not because our players are slower, but because Calgary's execution and transition game was much more effective. You also have to give the other team some credit sometimes, for example on the first goal, Calgary capitalized on a simple turnover in the offensive, with a couple quick passes Tkachuk was already entering the offensive zone, instead of dumping the puck he deked, pivoted, opened some space for Giardano who got a great shooting opportunity. 

While the Flames are playing with great confidence, meanwhile our players are still adjusting not not dumping the puck every time they can, and trailing last night this was evident as we reverted back to dump and chasing. Our forwards have lost the confidence to do what Tkachuk did on on the first goal, in the same situation without the great easy opening we would have shot the puck on Elliott, or sent it behind the net to chase it. We can see some improvements since Julien took over, especially on defense, but our players are still not programmed to keep control of the puck. Julien said it best when he  took over, this team has no self-confidence...

If we played with more confidence, guys like Pacioretty, Radulov, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Danault, Byron, Mitchell, Shaw, etc would be circling around in the offensive zone, like they did in the first 10-12 games of the season. Every game earlier we were saying how Montreal was just too fast for the other teams, all four lines were fore-checking and just circling around in the offensive zone. Our players didn't get slower... 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, mineral said:

LOL...Calgary is (and has been) on fire...c'mon man..last night the Habs looked like an AHL team...the flu can be a bitch; let's hope that was the issue.

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that the flu bug and injuries to Plex and Radulov are starting to show.., Plex is having an off year, but he does the little things right and Rad is Rad.

The moves MB made at the deadline are already starting to show little in the way of dividends.  Benn looks like the 7th D-man that he is...Not sure what King is doing out there (really wtf??). Ott was picked up for obvious reasons; winning faceoffs because #27 can't...so we get a player to prop up another player.

ps. I watched the Kings vs Preds last night...wow. totally different brand of hockey.      

pss. Weber DID make Emelin a better player, to he detriment of his own play...Emelin in a rut???? He's been in a rut for years.  Petry must be pissed, forced to play with a blockhead like Emelin - who has zero hockey IQ.  

49 minutes ago, DON said:

You certainly are a pessimist...:tumbleweed:

Possibly the least productive post I've been hit with on here in awhile.

I'm an optimistic fan but Calgary was on a high of their own from their streak so there's no reason to use that as a reason for our performance. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. 

1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

Possibly the least productive post I've been hit with on here in awhile.

I'm an optimistic fan but Calgary was on a high of their own from their streak so there's no reason to use that as a reason for our performance. Doesn't mean the sky is falling. 

It was one loss and that is about it...if want to portray as more than the first loss in 7 games, fly at er. But, calling yourself an optimist at same time as shooting down a pretty positive take on game, seems at odds.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You do realize that guy is the Gazette's "comedy" writer. 

I didn't think there was anything funny in what he wrote.  In fact it's sad just how on the mark he is.

Guest Stogey24
1 hour ago, Commandant said:

You do realize that guy is the Gazette's "comedy" writer. 

So? 

There was nothing but facts 

Guest Stogey24

Lines at practice 

Pacioretty-Danault-Shaw
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Radulov
King-Mitchell-Gallagher
Martinsen-Ott-McCarron

Markov-Weber
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Benn

Davidson 

I wouldn't have Emelin remotely close to this line up

Guest Stogey24
24 minutes ago, THE Bobby Orr said:

good write and on point...the MB era (hopefully) will come to an end soon...

I'm not so sure it will though....

My personal opinion is that we'll never be a real contender under Beregvin. This team has/had one of the better cores in the NHL, when Beregvin came in, yet it's the same story ever year. 

A legitimate rebuild is something that's looking eminent in the not TOO distant future. I know that sounds ridiculous and it may be, but mediocrity doesn't win cups. 

This team can't with stand Price, Radulov, Galchenyuk, and Pacioretty all getting new contracts. Especially with the fact there's no young forward prospects up and coming to alleviate some of the cap issues.