Is Pacioretty A Real Leader?

l<OV4L3V

Some people don't get it. I'm guessing you played at a reasonably high level. I can relate to that because I played music semi-professionally through my teens to mid-20s. About 50 gigs a year and I taught five or six classes and had private students. I got to study under and play with a lot of my heroes in Boston and be interviewed and perform live on local radio. People who sit behind computers all day can't relate to what a cold shot it is to want something bad enough that you'll go to work 8 hours and practice three or four hours a day only to realize one day that you aren't good enough.

Or some people did play at a reasonably high level and know that its still in such a different universe than the NHL that they don't pretend to compare their experience to what a team full of millionaires is doing when it comes to things like "leadership".

I've played with guys who made the ECHL, AHL, OHL, etc. I played with them growing up.

A good friend of mine, his brother was a CHL MVP, and an AHL journeyman. Played with Joe Thornton the year he went first overall.

My dad's buddy played in the NHL in the 70s.

Talking to all of them.... they didn't even make the show... but doing it as a profession is such a difference from what they did in junior. Its just not the same stratosphere. That's why I'd never compare my own experience to theirs. Its just such a higher level.

But thanks for assuming all i have done is sit behind a computer all day.

Cause you know, actual athletes don't know anything about analytics... like Billy Beane, or Tom Rowe.

Is it just me, or has this place seen an uptick in general interpersonal snarkiness since the Subban bombshell? There hasn't been so much snippiness since 2014-15. Considering how the team performed that year, relative to the more affable Habworld of 2015-16, maybe that's a good sign :huh:

People who sit behind computers all day can't relate to what a cold shot it is to want something bad enough that you'll go to work 8 hours and practice three or four hours a day only to realize one day that you aren't good enough.

Probably because we worked those hours at what we wanted bad and ended up good enough. ;)

Some people don't get it. I'm guessing you played at a reasonably high level. I can relate to that because I played music semi-professionally through my teens to mid-20s. About 50 gigs a year and I taught five or six classes and had private students. I got to study under and play with a lot of my heroes in Boston and be interviewed and perform live on local radio. People who sit behind computers all day can't relate to what a cold shot it is to want something bad enough that you'll go to work 8 hours and practice three or four hours a day only to realize one day that you aren't good enough.

Actually I didn't reach high level hockey, I fizzled out in my teens when I got into drugs, alcohol and causing trouble whenever I could. I was raised as an only child to a single mother on welfare, who couldn't afford to buy me new gear or pay for registration. I used to have to walk or bike to home games/practice or hitch a ride to away games because we didn't have a car. Hockey was literally all I did as a kid and I was always better than everyone else. I had a coach who played in the OHL say in front of the whole dressing room that I had more talent in my little toe than he had in his whole body. My last year of Peewee I got called up to Bantam and played as many games that was allowed against kids older and way bigger than me, and I had the most points per game during my time there. Once I started getting into trouble I didn't put any time into hockey anymore and people started getting better than me. I had on ice issues as well. Obviously playing high or drunk wasn't good for my game, but I wouldn't listen to the coaches and I'd be out there looking for fights instead of goals. I sold all of my equipment when I was 17 to buy drugs. It was about a decade before I got back into playing and following it more closely. Now I'm settled with a normal job, wife and kid, play in a rec hockey league, a ball hockey league, play fantasy hockey, I'm in a bunch of pools with friends, play hockey on xbox, read and write on this forum obviously, and hockey is pretty much the only thing I watch during the season. I'm no superstar, just a regular guy that loves hockey.

Or some people did play at a reasonably high level and know that its still in such a different universe than the NHL that they don't pretend to compare their experience to what a team full of millionaires is doing when it comes to things like "leadership".

I've played with guys who made the ECHL, AHL, OHL, etc. I played with them growing up.

A good friend of mine, his brother was a CHL MVP, and an AHL journeyman. Played with Joe Thornton the year he went first overall.

My dad's buddy played in the NHL in the 70s.

Talking to all of them.... they didn't even make the show... but doing it as a profession is such a difference from what they did in junior. Its just not the same stratosphere. That's why I'd never compare my own experience to theirs. Its just such a higher level.

But thanks for assuming all i have done is sit behind a computer all day.

Cause you know, actual athletes don't know anything about analytics... like Billy Beane, or Tom Rowe.

You might get some different responses around here if you change your approach. Maybe instead of correcting people in every post that isn't an ad for your site you make some observations? Humor never hurt anybody either. Every single post is you correcting somebody or aggrandizing yourself and your website. You have to know that will chafe other users after about five thousand posts.

Nice list, btw. I had no idea people from Canada knew hockey players.

You might get some different responses around here if you change your approach. Maybe instead of correcting people in every post that isn't an ad for your site you make some observations? Humor never hurt anybody either. Every single post is you correcting somebody or aggradizing yourself and your website. You have to know that will chafe other users after about five thousand posts.

Nice list, btw. I had no idea people from Canada knew hockey players.

You are the one who made the assumption about me, and the wise crack about not playing and just sitting behind a computer, but sure turn the tables and talk about how I talk to people. A little hypocritical to bring this up after you tried to throw insults around, no?

You are the one who made the assumption about me, and the wise crack about not playing and just sitting behind a computer, but sure turn the tables and talk about how I talk to people. A little hypocritical to bring this up after you tried to throw insults around, no?

So, you're correcting what I just said?

Actually I didn't reach high level hockey, I fizzled out in my teens when I got into drugs, alcohol and causing trouble whenever I could. I was raised as an only child to a single mother on welfare, who couldn't afford to buy me new gear or pay for registration. I used to have to walk or bike to home games/practice or hitch a ride to away games because we didn't have a car. Hockey was literally all I did as a kid and I was always better than everyone else. I had a coach who played in the OHL say in front of the whole dressing room that I had more talent in my little toe than he had in his whole body. My last year of Peewee I got called up to Bantam and played as many games that was allowed against kids older and way bigger than me, and I had the most points per game during my time there. Once I started getting into trouble I didn't put any time into hockey anymore and people started getting better than me. I had on ice issues as well. Obviously playing high or drunk wasn't good for my game, but I wouldn't listen to the coaches and I'd be out there looking for fights instead of goals. I sold all of my equipment when I was 17 to buy drugs. It was about a decade before I got back into playing and following it more closely. Now I'm settled with a normal job, wife and kid, play in a rec hockey league, a ball hockey league, play fantasy hockey, I'm in a bunch of pools with friends, play hockey on xbox, read and write on this forum obviously, and hockey is pretty much the only thing I watch during the season. I'm no superstar, just a regular guy that loves hockey.

That's a bummer, but it's good to hear about people regaining their direction.

I've been staying away from getting involved with the personal stuff since you guys are veteran posters who give and take some of the wise cracks but this is getting to be a bit much here. Let's try to get this back on topic (ie: Pacioretty) and away from the insults, name calling, etc.

I've been staying away from getting involved with the personal stuff since you guys are veteran posters who give and take some of the wise cracks but this is getting to be a bit much here. Let's try to get this back on topic (ie: Pacioretty) and away from the insults, name calling, etc.

So you shut down the website for a few days to cool everyone down? Harsh but fair.

I've played baseball against Torrey Mitchell and against Pierre-Marc Bouchard.

We used to beat them bad cuz our team actually had some players who played NCAA baseball and didn't pick hockey over baseball when they were 15 yo...

I thought Habs new assistant captain was gonna wrestle with #67 on USA team, after he ran a Canadian from behind yesterday and Weber grabbed a hold of Pacioretty.

That would of been interesting.

I thought Habs new assistant captain was gonna wrestle with #67 on USA team, after he ran a Canadian from behind yesterday and Weber grabbed a hold of Pacioretty.

That would of been interesting.

patches doesn't and shouldn't fight.

So you shut down the website for a few days to cool everyone down? Harsh but fair.

If the three day shutdown accomplishes that, that would be nice. That's not why we were down though. In fact, the reason we were down technically hasn't even been fixed yet. The board may go down again in the not-too-distant future actually (hopefully not for three days though).

• dlbalr changed the title to Is Pacioretty A Real Leader?