STANLEY CUP FINALS: Game 3: Tampa Bay Lightning at Montréal Canadiens

tomh009

59 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Think the idea would be to give him a chance to focus on getting back the confidence to play that way against pros in an environment where every mistake will not be put under a microscope ... but totally agree it shouldn't be an extended visit to Laval.

Agree. Key is not stapling him to the bench for every mistake. Have to learn to move past mistakes - just don’t make them again.

38 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Agree. Key is not stapling him to the bench for every mistake. Have to learn to move past mistakes - just don’t make them again.

Hard to do that in the NHL ***IF*** the mistakes are costing goals/games.

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Hard to do that in the NHL ***IF*** the mistakes are costing goals/games.

Like I said, if they learn mistakes, it’s not a problem. If they are repeating them, than yeah you have to reduce ice time.  Having said that, how many mistakes has Chairot made in this series? How many mistakes did Gustafson make, before FINALLY getting sat.  A coach has to hold all players accountable- not just rookies and young players.

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Like I said, if they learn mistakes, it’s not a problem. If they are repeating them, than yeah you have to reduce ice time.  Having said that, how many mistakes has Chairot made in this series? How many mistakes did Gustafson make, before FINALLY getting sat.  A coach has to hold all players accountable- not just rookies and young players.

Actually, I disagree somewhat. A coach will (generally) sit a player if that player is making more mistakes than good plays, and if the player is making it harder to win a game. A mistake isn't so much of a problem if the player is making up for it with otherwise excellent play.

So, there is no way Ducharme will bench Petry for his mistakes, because his contribution is still a big net positive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Actually, I disagree somewhat. A coach will (generally) sit a player if that player is making more mistakes than good plays, and if the player is making it harder to win a game. A mistake isn't so much of a problem if the player is making up for it with otherwise excellent play.

So, there is no way Ducharme will bench Petry for his mistakes, because his contribution is still a big net positive.

As opposed to giving more ice time to Gustafson for his continuous mistakes?  There have been stretches that Tatar did squat - there was no net contribution. How long did it to bench him?  How many games had there been that Stall has not contributed much - his linemates did, but he hasn’t. On the other hand KK has scored key goals for us. Who should be getting sat?  The guy who hasn’t contributed much and will 99.99% not be back next year, or the guy we want to be one our foundation pieces?

I disagree with the idea that a coach has to treat each player the same.  Players arent robots.

Some players benefit from a pat on the back when they make a mistake and some players benefit from a kick in the ass.  The coach's job is to figure out which is which 

7 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

As opposed to giving more ice time to Gustafson for his continuous mistakes?  There have been stretches that Tatar did squat - there was no net contribution. How long did it to bench him?  How many games had there been that Stall has not contributed much - his linemates did, but he hasn’t. On the other hand KK has scored key goals for us. Who should be getting sat?  The guy who hasn’t contributed much and will 99.99% not be back next year, or the guy we want to be one our foundation pieces?

I would personally like to see Kotkaniemi play. And he is indeed the future, and Staal is not.

That said, Ducharme's job is to win hockey games. At the moment, he needs three more wins, by hook or by crook. If he wins those games -- in spite of sitting or playing players contrary to my views and preferences -- all will be forgiven.

19 hours ago, Commandant said:

But if you've signed someone as a free agent with the intent of him taking a LD spot... what is a determined amount of time?

You are essentially waiting for an injury, which isn't a determined amount of time. 

To me, he has to be in the top 6. 

Look at it from his perspective... I've barely played in the playoffs only getting games when there are massive injuries or in this game 4 when we are desperate and down 3-0.  Now you've signed a free agent to replace me and are sending me to the AHL.  Do I really have faith that I'm gonna be back in the NHL and ahead of this UFA signing, who was also ahead of me all playoffs?

I don't think you go that road with a kid who is supposed to be part of your future and can be RFA and head back to Russia permanently in 2022.  He also has CSKA who tried to convince him to stay and is one of the Russian teams who aren't afraid to spend big.  

That's not the fire I want to play with... and for who, Gustafsson, who is absolute shit at 5v5.  Nope, sorry. 

I don’t think Gustafson gets re-signed. To think of playing him regularly over Romanov is madness.

9 hours ago, tomh009 said:

But, Petry makes such stupid lazy turnovers in own end, over and over. Is very annoying, you could see his pass up the middle in own end wasnt gonna work and just so risky. Sure, he is a huge bonus once out of own end and does more good than bad, but you do see remnants exactly why Oilers had enough of him.

Habs still won the game, just bit more exciting than needed to be, onto game 5.:popcorn: