Jump to content

2021 NHL Offseason


Trizzak
 Share

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, DON said:

I see (the athletic team ranking tool) Habs were 1st in hits last year, I guess that is a good way to be.

 

They've been near the top the last few years thanks to the Bell Centre's, how should I put it, creative interpretation of the word hit. 

 

2019-20: 5th

2018-19: 3rd

2017-18: 1st

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

They've been near the top the last few years thanks to the Bell Centre's, how should I put it, creative interpretation of the word hit. 

 

2019-20: 5th

2018-19: 3rd

2017-18: 1st

Ahhh, i see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DON said:

I see (the athletic team ranking tool) Habs were 1st in hits last year, I guess that is a good way to be.

but also,

26th in shot%

27th in save%

Save % was a known issue in the regular season.

 

As for the shooting percentage, I recall we took a lot of shots -- and, in particular, a lot of low-percentage shots.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DON said:

Some interesting comments by coach on some young players. 

"So, that’s coaching with Suzy. With other guys it’s different."

 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/qa-straight-shooting-ducharme-prepared-take-canadiens-next-level/

 

Good interview. I like what DD is saying here - very clear and consistent lines of communication, and an interesting approach to quantifying nightly performance according to consistent metrics which are publicly visible to all players. Seems like an approach that would encourage accountability. And his attunement to player differences, not a one-size-fits-all assembly line approach, is a sine qua non of good coaching.

 

All that said, most coaches sound good in interviews, like most players. I give him major props for the Run of ‘21 but this year will probably be the truer indicator of his coaching chops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

And his attunement to player differences, not a one-size-fits-all assembly line approach, is a sine qua non of good coaching.

 

Well, he sort of alludes to a one-size-fits-all approach as well:

 

Quote

I have worked with many young players at different levels and I won’t change the way I work with players. I think we have some pretty good young players who have become good players in the pros, and I’ll keep doing the same thing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazingly, Shea Weber didn't make out into any of the examples shown ... but this could be a problem for Edmundson and Chiarot in particular ... at least until the NHL feels the PR point has been made and they revert to "the norm".
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Amazingly, Shea Weber didn't make out into any of the examples shown ... but this could be a problem for Edmundson and Chiarot in particular ... at least until the NHL feels the PR point has been made and they revert to "the norm".
 

 

Hopefully Gallagher draws enough to balance it out. That guy takes a beating.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Canucks re-sign Pettersson to a 3-year $7.3 bridge deal and Hughes to 7.85 for 6.

 

They won’t regret the Hughes signing, but my initial impression is that they didn’t buy a whole lot of savings in return for the term. The Pettersson signing is a reprieve, but they’d better make sure they’ve cleared up a whack of cap space three years from now. 

 

I envy the Canuckleheads these two gifted young stars…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

... I envy the Canuckleheads these two gifted young stars…

Agreed

 

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Canucks re-sign Pettersson to a 3-year $7.3 bridge deal and Hughes to 7.85 for 6.

 

They won’t regret the Hughes signing, but my initial impression is that they didn’t buy a whole lot of savings in return for the term. The Pettersson signing is a reprieve, but they’d better make sure they’ve cleared up a whack of cap space three years from now ...

When Petterson is next a RFA (summer 2024) the Canucks currently have 5 players under contract for a total of $27.56M (Hughes, OEL, Thatcher, Conor Garland and, then to be 32 yr-old RHD, Tucker Poolman) ... so they should have the room if they manage signings/extensions properly ... 2022 RFA Boeser, 2023 UFAs Miller and Horvat, and 2024 UFA Pearson are their potential larger contracts to re-sign/extend.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Believably unbelievable
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

:scared::scared::scared: when it rains on the Habs, it pours!  :scared::scared::scared:

 

No Weber, Price, Edmundson to start the season.

 

No Hoffman either and to a lesser degree, no Byron until mid-way through the season.

 

If there is a season to play the kids and to develop for the future it is this year. It will be an interesting season to watch for leadership and resilience from the core players.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Indeedy, it may be a rough start to season. 

Gonna need some good offense to offset missing Weber/Edmundson/Price on back end, FOR SURE!

I be very nervous about this year as you are Mr. P.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

From the preseason segments I've seen... I'm concerned about Chiarot losing a step. Saw him chasing in the defensive zone... Did I just catch a few bad plays or does he look rough to other folks?

 

 

He looked disengaged, for example not wanting to fight on first game against Ottawa (I think). Seemed to be just getting ready for the season and pacing himself

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'm not sure any regular defenceman had a particularly good preseason and in Chiarot's case, I think he spent time on his off-side as well.  Not ideal but I'm not too worried yet.

Now that you mention it he was playing his offside in the bit I watched.

 

Okay... I'm generally just worried about Chiarot and Savard being too slow. Perhaps a bit of confirmation bias haha.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Okay... I'm generally just worried about Chiarot and Savard being too slow. Perhaps a bit of confirmation bias haha.

 

Both of them are certainly plodder-type defencemen who aren't going to look great in the preseason when things are a little more frenetic.  (Of course, Savard, in particular, caused some of those moments himself.)  As the league gets quicker, it's understandable to be a bit concerned with how they're going to fare on a back end that isn't exactly mobile; can those two work as a shutdown pairing?  It looks like they're going to try to find out which is a little unsettling as I can see some ways in which that goes sideways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If Montreal is looking at using waivers to add another 4C option, Dylan Gambrell and Chris Wagner are on waivers today.  Wagner hits anything that moves while Gambrell somehow averaged 16 minutes a game last year in San Jose.  Tomorrow should be a fun day on the waiver front as a lot of intriguing players are likely to hit the wire.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, dlbalr said:

If Montreal is looking at using waivers to add another 4C option, Dylan Gambrell and Chris Wagner are on waivers today.  Wagner hits anything that moves while Gambrell somehow averaged 16 minutes a game last year in San Jose.  Tomorrow should be a fun day on the waiver front as a lot of intriguing players are likely to hit the wire.

https://sanjosehockeynow.com/san-jose-sharks-dylan-gambrell-nicolas-meloche-roster-preseason/

 

seems like Gambrell would be a good pick up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

I'd be tempted to put a claim in here.  He's on a minimum contract for the next three years and has shown some promising offensive upside in the minors.  He's not going to help the centre situation but I think there's some intriguing potential with him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would be watching for where Anisimov or Jankowski land, they may be good enough for a twoway contract to maximize LTIR salary cap. 4th line centres with NHL experience that could be buried in the AHL:

 

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tomh009 unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...