Habs acquire Christian Dvorak

dlbalr

Which looks to be an improvement over a certain player who accepted an offer sheet and scored at a 35-point pace this year.

That said, Bergevin’s gamble on being able to replace Danault didn’t work out. Not with Dvorak, and it surely wouldn’t have with Kotkaniemi, either. Now, if he had signed Danault and let Gallagher walk instead … in hindsight.

3 hours ago, DON said:

I am OK with Dvorak as #2 centre for next year or two.

Me as well, this was actually his best year on a points per game basis despite a brutal start.  I certainly don't think he is a #2 center on a contending team but could be a very good #3. 

He's an "honourable placeholder" in the #2C slot on a rebuilding team. One would hope that we can significantly upgrade in that position, though. In fact, we'll have to if we want to contend.

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

We do not want the Habs to contend for two or three years, to rebuild

Umm...if by some strange turn of events the Habs became hard-core contenders next season, I for one wouldn't complain. In other words, it's not that we don't want them to contend. It's that we don't think it's realistic for them to do so without absurd decisions involving the trading of picks/young assets, or ridiculous UFA signings.

But that's just a point of order. I agree that it is highly unrealistic that the Habs will contend for 3-4 years. Dvorak is more than welcome to be 2nd-line C during the rebuilding process. That's why I say he's an "honourable placeholder" in this respect.

That being said, is he really "shutdown C" material? (Ironically, I can see KK growing into such a C, even if he never finds much offensive upside). I wonder if his longer-term future is as a kind of utility guy, even used on the W...assuming he sticks around, of course.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Umm...if by some strange turn of events the Habs became hard-core contenders next season, I for one wouldn't complain. In other words, it's not that we don't want them to contend. It's that we don't think it's realistic for them to do so without absurd decisions involving the trading of picks/young assets, or ridiculous UFA signings.

Agreed. I don't expect them to contend but sometimes weird things happen,  young players develop quicker than you thought they would, some veterans have career or bounce back years, Price gets healthy etc etc

I expect the Habs to be a bottom 10 team next year but there is no guarantee of that happening. 

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I expect the Habs to be a bottom 10 team next year but there is no guarantee of that happening. 

BUT, without knowing what summer changes will be...is hard to even guess.

I kinda expect Dvorak will have good year. 

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

He's an "honourable placeholder" in the #2C slot on a rebuilding team. One would hope that we can significantly upgrade in that position, though. In fact, we'll have to if we want to contend.

At his contract, he's the perfect candidate to start as the #2C and move to #3C as he gets passed on the depth chart by someone on an ELC.

When the top 6 C is on an ELC, you can afford him at 4.45 million cap hit as the third C. 

18 minutes ago, Commandant said:

When the top 6 C is on an ELC, you can afford him at 4.45 million cap hit as the third C. 

I think that 3C is an important enough position to warrant that kind of cap hit on a good team - equal to a second line wing or second pairing d-man for instance.