2022 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I totally see where you are coming from ... but once an undersized D-man proves they have "superior to elite offensive skills" that offset any defensive issues they become very, very expensive to acquire.

If he can be as effective as Rafalski was, I’d be happy to use one our 2nd rounders on him. Hell, I’d prefer to use a pick in an undersized but extremely skilled player, over the picks we’ve wasted on size fetish over the Tinordi’s or McCarron type player who didn’t really have much skill.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Possible, but so much of his game is based on his vision, and its a big adjustment from being at the back with the forwards in front of you and running things off the wing. 

He definitely seems like a "swing for the fences" type of pick.  He will either be a bust at the NHL level or a difference maker, don't see much in between. 

5 hours ago, Commandant said:

He was 5'8, 158 at the combine. 

And #99 maybe was 158lb... soaking wet, and below average skater when drafted.

How many smaller skilled kids have to be overlooked in the draft and make 30 GMs look like idiots, before they start hedging on skating/skill moreso than size?

No problem taking a flyer on a Conor Geekie, who is "likley" overrated simply due to his 6'3" potential power-forward size; but, my guess is he is more likely to be a bust than Hutson, but will still be taken mid-1st.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

How many smaller skilled kids have to be overlooked in the draft and make 30 GMs look like idiots, before they start hedging on skating/skill moreso than size?

No problem taking a flyer on a Conor Geekie, who is "likley" overrated simply due to his 6'3" potential power-forward size; but, my guess is he is more likely to be a bust than Hutson, but will still be taken mid-1st.

Gretzky was also about 6 feet tall which makes a big difference. I do see your point though and don't disagree. Marcel Dionne would have been a better comparison as he was only 5' 8'' but he was also pretty solidly built, same  with Martin St. Louis.  If you are going to be short then lower body strength is really important.  St. Louis had massive legs. 

30 minutes ago, DON said:

How many 5'8 defencemen are in the NHL right now?

Cant be more than 2 or 3

21 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Gretzky was also about 6 feet tall which makes a big difference. I do see your point though and don't disagree. Marcel Dionne would have been a better comparison as he was only 5' 8'' but he was also pretty solidly built, same  with Martin St. Louis.  If you are going to be short then lower body strength is really important.  St. Louis had massive legs. 

Big difference in forwards and defence.  Also the average size throughout the league has gone up since the 70s.

59 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hutsons worth the gamble but not in the first round or 33 imo

Yea that makes sense. 33 Seems early when I think about it. EDM pick would be great. You swing there and hope you hit a Krug or Gryzelyck calibre guy

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Cant be more than 2 or 3

Per CapFriendly ... none ... but add an inch and 3 played in the NHL this season ... and two were pretty good

Jared Spurgeon ... 65Gm, 10g 30 a, 40 pts

Torey Krug ... 64gm, 9g, 34 a, 43 pts

Matt Grzelcyk ... 73 gm, 4g, 20a, 24pts

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Cant be more than 2 or 3

How many female NHL headcoaches/referees are there at present?

How many will there be in 10 years?

How many guys in the 70s wore helmets vs today.

How many goons were there in the 80s-90s and today?

Same idea, things change sir.

But, a 5'8" d-man does sound very small.

But if the kid can skate, has the puck skills and is still there in late 2nd round (or even at 33rd) maybe they should pick him.

(Adam Fox was 5'10.5" 183lb when drafted, now listed 5'11" 185lb, so not buying he is due to have growth spurt, but who knows)

19 minutes ago, DON said:

But if the kid can skate, has the puck skills and is still there in late 2nd round (or even at 33rd) maybe they should pick him.

(Adam Fox was 5'10.5" 183lb when drafted, now listed 5'11" 185lb, so not buying he is due to have growth spurt, but who knows)

I just think about Bournival who skated like the wind until he was KO’d 

I have lots of respect for smallish talented players who make it to the NHL and produce

I would not draft one in the first or second round unless it was a sure fire bet 

31 minutes ago, DON said:

The issue is this.  When the whistles get put away in the playoffs (as they always do) can he win battles in the corners and in front of the net.  Can he defend against bigger, stronger opponents when the league becomes an every other day slugfest.

I dont agree with how officiating is in the playoffs and i wish it would change but you have to draft to the reality of it.

Im not saying take McCarron or Tinordi, you guys know i hate those guys... but if you want a small, puck moving American Dman, Id put Seamus Casey over Hutson just cause hes 2.5 inches taller.

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

The issue is this.  When the whistles get put away in the playoffs (as they always do) can he win battles in the corners and in front of the net.  Can he defend against bigger, stronger opponents when the league becomes an every other day slugfest.

I dont agree with how officiating is in the playoffs and i wish it would change but you have to draft to the reality of it.

Im not saying take McCarron or Tinordi, you guys know i hate those guys... but if you want a small, puck moving American Dman, Id put Seamus Casey over Hutson just cause hes 2.5 inches taller.

@Commandant : Lane Hutson? Christian Kyrou? or Ty Nelson?

Not a real intimidating looking fella.

Lane Hutson

Defense -- shoots L
Born Feb 14 2004 -- North Barrington, IL
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 5.09 -- Weight 148 [175 cm/67 kg]

Lane Hutson hockey player photo 

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Not a real intimidating looking fella.

Lane Hutson

Defense -- shoots L
Born Feb 14 2004 -- North Barrington, IL
[18 yrs. ago]
Height 5.09 -- Weight 148 [175 cm/67 kg]

Lane Hutson hockey player photo 

Is this back from when he was 12?

48 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Nelson, hutson, kyrou

thank you for the reply.

that is what I thought too, based on what I've read on-line including some of your analysis at LWOS

I can't wait for draft day, I hope Hugh-Gort continues to do welll

9 minutes ago, DON said:

not a list of top NHLers, I guess Hutson may have peaked ;)

More Information on Winners:
2021-22: Lane Hutson
2020-21: William Eklund
2019-20: Zayde Wisdom
2018-19: Brett Leason
2017-18: Humboldt Broncos
2016-17: Nico Hischier
2015-16: Neil Doef
2014-15: Travis Konecny

22 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This guy has Slafkovsky at 16.   Bar far the lowest I have seen him ranked.  I don't know if this guy has any credibility. 

https://hockeyprospecting.com/2022/06/21/the-hockey-prospecting-top-32-2022/

Never heard of him, and looking at the whole list (Hutson at 8th), its LOL