Jump to content

WE HAVE A TRADE (McNiven to Calgary)


 Share

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Not the trade I was expecting but maybe they had to clear spots. It seems like Montreal and Calgary are getting comfortable talking trade. 

 

McNiven wasn't getting playing time in Laval and we might have Allen back soon too.  Easily an expendable guy at this point. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, its a trade i suppose.

 

Always wondered, is future considerations, just a "gentleman's agreement" or is it actual binding deal of some sort?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, its a trade i suppose.

 

Always wondered, is future considerations, just a "gentleman's agreement" or is it actual binding deal of some sort?

Yes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, its a trade i suppose.

 

Always wondered, is future considerations, just a "gentleman's agreement" or is it actual binding deal of some sort?

 

Its a nicer way of saying, we gave him away for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, its a trade i suppose.

 

Always wondered, is future considerations, just a "gentleman's agreement" or is it actual binding deal of some sort?

 

It can be nothing or an actual tangible asset (for example, a 7th-round pick if he plays in __ NHL games).  In this case, it's clearly not the latter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

McNiven wasn't getting playing time in Laval and we might have Allen back soon too.  Easily an expendable guy at this point. 

I hope he can find some (probably AHL) playing time in Calgary. He's worked hard for a ridiculous number of teams, I really do wish him the best out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Clears a contract slot ... that could/will be useful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This makes me wonder if this is possibly related to what I said in another thread.  i.e. they could trade Allen and promote Monty to backup, and keep Hamburgalur for AHL duty next year.  ex: if Price or Monty gets injured next year its unlikely that the Hamburgalur would be stolen off waivers.  However, if they dont trade Allen and 1 of their Goalies get injured next year and Monty is the 3rd goalie he could be stolen off waivers.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

This makes me wonder if this is possibly related to what I said in another thread.  i.e. they could trade Allen and promote Monty to backup, and keep Hamburgalur for AHL duty next year.  ex: if Price or Monty gets injured next year its unlikely that the Hamburgalur would be stolen off waivers.  However, if they dont trade Allen and 1 of their Goalies get injured next year and Monty is the 3rd goalie he could be stolen off waivers.  

 

I don't see another team claiming Montembeault.  He's a sub .900 SV% goalie, even in the minors and in junior.  Teams don't view that as NHL-calibre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Missed this from a couple of days ago but it sounds like McNiven may have originally been part of the Toffoli trade but his injury forced them to split this into a separate move:

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...