GAME#71 Habs vs Devils April 7 7:00pm 2022

DON

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Wideman in for Barron (injury)

T. Pitlick in for Byron (injury)

Clague in for Harris (healthy scratch)

That Barron collision in the last game didn't look good. Was there any word on the severity of the injury?

43 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

This is a huge 4 point game.  Hughes is out for the year and the Devils have been giving up a ton of goals lately so I am thinking a 4-2 Habs win but hoping I am wrong. 

They've only scored three goals, and they already have seven shots on goal. I wouldn't get my hopes up! 🤪

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

They've only scored three goals, and they already have seven shots on goal. I wouldn't get my hopes up! 🤪

Yeah, sure looks like a Habs win tonight. Nice to see the kids score though.  If they are going to win then win big with the kids lighting it up. 

36 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

At least Philly and Ottawa are winning so it may not be a complete disaster tonight.  Maybe Seattle and Arizona will surprise. 

The Sens lost but the Kraken is winning 1-0.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

At least Philly and Ottawa are winning so it may not be a complete disaster tonight.  Maybe Seattle and Arizona will surprise. 

Nice win by Seattle. Maybe we should have stuck with Ducharme for just a week more...

10 hours ago, dlbalr said:

Tonight's postgame column - this was fun to write, at least: http://www.habsworld.net/2022/04/poor-goaltending-hands-habs-7-4-win-in-new-jersey/

so glad to see Wideman and Clague praised :)

I didn't watch the game, how did PK Subban play? did he play well enough to be considered an UFA target ?

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I didn't watch the game, how did PK Subban play? did he play well enough to be considered an UFA target ?

Barely noticeable which is an improvement on his recent play from what I've read.  I personally have no interest in bringing him back at any price tag - he's beyond overrated at this point of his career.

3 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

UUUGGGGGGGGGGGGG NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Another fun game.

3 pts for Dvorak/Wideman/Clague, better.

Hoffman is one soft player and his cute little plays often go the other way.

Dont know what to think of Armia's play, seems playing dumber/scared/injured or something?

#14/22 rolling along nicely.

Wondering what the logic is of Byron being a healthy scratch?

I get that some young guys need to play but given how few games he has played there should be a need to get him into games to either: 

A) get him going, used to playing a regular schedule, he needs the ice time;

B) build up any possible value to move him out at some point.

He is supposed to be a valuable leader so shouldn’t he be one of the vets playing and setting a good example for young guys? If you’re gonna do a rotation Why continue to play Hoffman as far as vets go? Or even Armia?  

Forgot Poehling was even playing last night, so invisible this season.    If he can’t stake out some turf during this season (which I don’t think he has) then it is about time to move on.  

Why play Tyler Pitlick over Byron, Byron has years left on his deal and again is supposed to be a leader, wears an A.

Dauphin, Pezetta deserve more of a look than Tyler Pitlick and Poehling at this point.

Random observations:

Defensive play was scary.

Savard / Scheuneman were fugly.    

Didn’t love the Eddy/Romy pairing, two lefties and neither excels at playing on right side.

Even giving up that many goals Allen won the game for us.

Good thing was seeing 22/14 continue to produce.

71 looked good against some decent opposition.

28 played well.

….so that was three strong centremen performances which is pretty awesome to say !!!

34 minutes ago, hockeyrealist said:

Wondering what the logic is of Byron being a healthy scratch?

I get that some young guys need to play but given how few games he has played there should be a need to get him into games to either: 

A) get him going, used to playing a regular schedule, he needs the ice time;

B) build up any possible value to move him out at some point.

He is supposed to be a valuable leader so shouldn’t he be one of the vets playing and setting a good example for young guys? If you’re gonna do a rotation Why continue to play Hoffman as far as vets go? Or even Armia?  

Byron is injured and didn't travel with the team.

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Subban and Hamilton (!) both -4 on the night. We'd be better off keeping Wideman and spending our cap space elsewhere.

1 hour ago, hockeyrealist said:

Forgot Poehling was even playing last night, so invisible this season.    If he can’t stake out some turf during this season (which I don’t think he has) then it is about time to move on.  

Why play Tyler Pitlick over Byron, Byron has years left on his deal and again is supposed to be a leader, wears an A.

Dauphin, Pezetta deserve more of a look than Tyler Pitlick and Poehling at this point.

Poehling has definitely regressed after showing better form earlier in the season. This might be the end of the road for him. And, unlike his cousin, T. Pitlick has not impressed yet.

Hoffman is not producing but maybe it's the linemates. Could another team still find value there? Ylonen has shown more capability in the sniper role than Hoffman (when not saddled with Poehling and T. Pitlick) and is far less expensive.

4 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Subban and Hamilton (!) both -4 on the night. We'd be better off keeping Wideman and spending our cap space elsewhere.

I think I have written to keep Wideman on other threads, despite wanting the Habs to trade him at the deadline if they did not plan to keep him

The Subban re-repatriation program is not closed 🔓

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Poehling has definitely regressed after showing better form earlier in the season. This might be the end of the road for him. And, unlike his cousin, T. Pitlick has not impressed yet.

Hoffman is not producing but maybe it's the linemates. Could another team still find value there? Ylonen has shown more capability in the sniper role than Hoffman (when not saddled with Poehling and T. Pitlick) and is far less expensive.

between Hoffman and Drouin, I would keep Drouin.

17 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

between Hoffman and Drouin, I would keep Drouin.

I agree ... Jonathan may not have met fans' hopes/expectations but he has but this season and last he has played better than Hoffman, when in the line-up ... sadly Drouin may be easier to trade as he only has one more year on his deal versus Hoffman's two ... although Mike is $1M cheaper on the cap

4 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree ... Jonathan may not have met fans' hopes/expectations but he has but this season and last he has played better than Hoffman, when in the line-up ... sadly Drouin may be easier to trade as he only has one more year on his deal versus Hoffman's two ... although Mike is $1M cheaper on the cap

2 for 1 sale?

Was mentioned (LeBrun?) Hughes tried to deal away Armia or wants to off load that contract.

But Hughes has several contracts i assume he would love to be rid of; like Price/Weber/Petry/Armia/Byron/Hoffman/Drouin.

Which will still be on Habs payroll come October?