HuGo's Organizational Revamp

GHT120

• GHT120 changed the title to HuGo's Organizational Revamp

Possible prelude to a July 9th hiring (i.e., post-draft)

• 1 month later...

From Habs website:

Hockey Operations

Jeff Gorton, Executive Vice President, Hockey Operations
Kent Hughes, General Manager
John Sedgwick, Assistant General Manager
Martin Lapointe, Director of Player Personnel and Amateur Scouting
Nick Bobrov, Co-director of Amateur Scouting
Christopher Boucher, Director, Hockey Analytics
Sean Burke, Director of Goaltending
Vincent Lecavalier, Special Advisor to Hockey Operations

Coaches
Martin St-Louis, Head Coach
Alex Burrows, Assistant Coach
Trevor Letowski, Assistant Coach
Luke Richardson, Assistant Coach
Eric Raymond, Goalie Coach
Mario Leblanc, Video Coach

Player development
Rob Ramage, Director of Player Development
Francis Bouillon, Coach, Player Development
Marie-Philip Poulin, Player Development Consultant

Hockey development
Adam Nicholas, Director of Hockey Development

Professional scouting

Eric Crawford, Director of Pro Scouting
Nick Carrière, Director of Minor League Affiliates / Pro Scout
David MacLean, Pro Scout
Reid Simpson, Pro Scouting - West

Amateur Scouts
Christer Rockstrom, Chief European Scout
Serge Boisvert, International Crossover scout
Hannu Laine, European Pro and Finland scout
Ben Shutron, Canada scout
Bobby Kinsella, USA scout
Vincent Riendeau, Goalie and Russia Pro scout
Donald Audette, Quebec scout
Matt Turek, Ontario scout
Tommy Lehman, Sweden scout
Michal Krupa, Eastern European scout
Artem Telepin, Russia scout
Yannick St-Pierre, Video scout

On 6/26/2022 at 1:05 AM, alfredoh2009 said:

From Habs website:

Hockey Operations

Jeff Gorton, Executive Vice President, Hockey Operations
Kent Hughes, General Manager
John Sedgwick, Assistant General Manager
Martin Lapointe, Director of Player Personnel and Amateur Scouting
Nick Bobrov, Co-director of Amateur Scouting
Christopher Boucher, Director, Hockey Analytics
Sean Burke, Director of Goaltending
Vincent Lecavalier, Special Advisor to Hockey Operations

Coaches
Martin St-Louis, Head Coach
Alex Burrows, Assistant Coach
Trevor Letowski, Assistant Coach
Luke Richardson, Assistant Coach
Eric Raymond, Goalie Coach
Mario Leblanc, Video Coach

Player development
Rob Ramage, Director of Player Development
Francis Bouillon, Coach, Player Development
Marie-Philip Poulin, Player Development Consultant

Hockey development
Adam Nicholas, Director of Hockey Development

Professional scouting

Eric Crawford, Director of Pro Scouting
Nick Carrière, Director of Minor League Affiliates / Pro Scout
David MacLean, Pro Scout
Reid Simpson, Pro Scouting - West

Amateur Scouts
Christer Rockstrom, Chief European Scout
Serge Boisvert, International Crossover scout
Hannu Laine, European Pro and Finland scout
Ben Shutron, Canada scout
Bobby Kinsella, USA scout
Vincent Riendeau, Goalie and Russia Pro scout
Donald Audette, Quebec scout
Matt Turek, Ontario scout
Tommy Lehman, Sweden scout
Michal Krupa, Eastern European scout
Artem Telepin, Russia scout
Yannick St-Pierre, Video scout

I remember dlbalr arguing that Molson had gone somewhat cheap under Bergevin when it came to staffing the Habs’ organization. How does the above stack up relative to the best NHL franchises? I don’t mean in terms of the calibre of the people necessarily, but rather: are we missing any organizational roles/offices which most quality teams have? Or are we under-staffed in any areas relative to our competitors?

It seems a fairly thorough org chart at first glance, but I’m no expert.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I remember dlbalr arguing that Molson had gone somewhat cheap under Bergevin when it came to staffing the Habs’ organization. How does the above stack up relative to the best NHL franchises? I don’t mean in terms of the calibre of the people necessarily, but rather: are we missing any organizational roles/offices which most quality teams have? Or are we under-staffed in any areas relative to our competitors?

I would not know how it compares to other teams. I would look to COL, ANA and TBL and compare to ARZ, BUF for contrast... but won't do, I just don;t know how to judge if one administrator is better than another.

I wanted to show the remaining Bergevin hires that are on the cusp of being re-structured away. assistant coaches (Burrows, Letowski, Raymond, Leblanc), Lapointe, Ramage, Crawford, Rockstrom (retirement), and some of the scouts will probably be gone in the next year or so. Scouting is where I expect the next round of changes to the Habs. It is the area Gorton and Hughes would want to have their people (IMHO)

3 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Player development is quite thin compared to a lot of other teams (it was just Ramage on his own for a bit before Bouillon joined).  That's an element a lot of teams are investing in - more development/skill coaches.  Pro scouting has bled a few people in recent years, and NA amateur scouting is woefully understaffed.  One Ontario scout, 2 Quebec scouts, and one Canada scout isn't enough and they only have one scout for the whole US (college and USHS).  That's pathetic.  As for video scouting, that spot was non-existent before this season whereas some times have entire departments dedicated to it.  Then there's the analytics department which has had no more than one person in it when they had one at all.  Development coaches, a drop in pro scouts, a pitifully thin North America amateur department, plus minimal video and analytics.  That list should be at least 10 people longer.

17 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Player development is quite thin compared to a lot of other teams (it was just Ramage on his own for a bit before Bouillon joined).  That's an element a lot of teams are investing in - more development/skill coaches.  Pro scouting has bled a few people in recent years, and NA amateur scouting is woefully understaffed.  One Ontario scout, 2 Quebec scouts, and one Canada scout isn't enough and they only have one scout for the whole US (college and USHS).  That's pathetic.  As for video scouting, that spot was non-existent before this season whereas some times have entire departments dedicated to it.  Then there's the analytics department which has had no more than one person in it when they had one at all.  Development coaches, a drop in pro scouts, a pitifully thin North America amateur department, plus minimal video and analytics.  That list should be at least 10 people longer.

And by the end of the summer we will be in a position to judge what HuGo have built

18 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And by the end of the summer we will be in a position to judge what HuGo have built

I am very critical of Hugh-Gort but even I do not think it would be fair to judge them at the end of this summer

in 3-4 years, we will be able to tell. Next year after the UFA signing date we will have a good idea of the starting point to the transformation

39 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

thank you @dlbalr , your view on this is very helpful in understanding the road ahead for the revamped Habs

4 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am very critical of Hugh-Gort but even I do not think it would be fair to judge them at the end of this summer

in 3-4 years, we will be able to tell. Next year after the UFA signing date we will have a good idea of the starting point to the transformation

Why would you be very critical?  I have really liked almost every move they have made so far. 

4 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Why would you be very critical?  I have really liked almost every move they have made so far. 

because, unless the Habs win a cup, all of this may be just a useless exercise in selling hope, and lodges, and paraphernalia of a loosing team

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

because, unless the Habs win a cup, all of this may be just a useless exercise in selling hope, and lodges, and paraphernalia of a loosing team

So, on a scale of 1 - 10, how would you rate them (Hughes-Gorton) on the job they have done since they have taken over? 

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

So, on a scale of 1 - 10, how would you rate them (Hughes-Gorton) on the job they have done since they have taken over? 

N/A or NaN

I liked their trade for Barron, I hated their handling of the goalie situation

1 hour ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I hated their handling of the goalie situation

Why?

What should they of done?

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

What is with the Eeyore outlook? I dont get it.

11 minutes ago, DON said:

Why?

What should they of done?

What is with the Eeyore outlook? I dont get it.

it is just me being the rotten potato in the bag.

1 minute ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If that is what you are trying to do then I give you a 10/10.  LOL

not being deceitful , I honestly feel this rotten about Hugh-Gort

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I meant about whether they build up the organization to a better size,  covering all the bases … obviously it will take much longer to assess the quality/performance of on and off-ice additions. 

Like Bergevin and every other GM/management team since 1993?

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

Like Bergevin and every other GM/management team since 1993?

not quite. Bergevin was screwed up with the Weber/Price/Drouin/Danault situation compounded by the Mailloux and Kotkaniemi situations

I do not understand why he was allowed to start the season as a GM, knowing he was done

His rookie coach imploded under the pressure and the players quit (IMHO) more on Bergevin than on DD

When Gorton was hired, Molson promised an in-depth, long-term restructuring of the organization in order to have cup contending teams for multiple years

Gorton has been chipping away methodically at the humongous task, Hughes has done some interesting trades. But together, Hugh-Gort has not yet delivered on their promise of transformation of the organization. The have set the expectations very high for themselves

====

Habs needed a president of Hockey Ops for many years, they now have Gorton in that role with more hands on than a Pierre Boivin or Ronald Corey.

Bergevin did the work of 1.5 or 2 people for years and Hughes has a more focused portfolio to manage

I expect the new Hockey Operations to deliver on excellence, quality of results and longevity of impact on the future. It is more than other GMs have had to deliver since 1993

When Gorton was hired, Molson promised an in-depth, long-term restructuring of the organization in order to have cup contending teams for multiple years

Gorton has been chipping away methodically at the humongous task, Hughes has done some interesting trades. But together, Hugh-Gort has not yet delivered on their promise of transformation of the organization. The have set the expectations very high for themselves

Transforming or restructuring an organization does not need to (and arguably should not) mean firing everybody. What it should mean is assessing the team that is in place, and evaluating them (fairly!) to determine whether they are capable of doing what is expected of them. Having been hired by the previous GM should not, in and of itself, damn anyone in the organization.