2022 NHL Offseason Thread

dlbalr

32 minutes ago, DON said:

But, given Habs cap situation, they are unlikely to add another player that may get waived eh? 

I wouldn't say that.  There's a question to ponder - if this player makes them better, is that worth not having the highest spending pool through LTIR optimization?  Depending on the player, the answer could be yes.

If the Habs claimed Ingram, they could turn around and waive Montembeault, designating him as 'waivers non-roster' at tomorrow's deadline to be roster compliant.  They'd lose some max LTIR flexibility but would that be worth doing?  In a heartbeat as the upside of the player outweighs the opportunity cost of losing the cap space.

If it's another defenceman, Xhekaj can go down without hurting the bonus pool optimization that the Habs are clearly emphasizing with how the roster stands at the moment.

I was I could say I am gobsmacked ... but we've seen too much.

14 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Mailloux is starting in London isn't he?

Yes.  He's up for a couple more days by the sounds of things (non-roster status) and then he'll be sent back to London when it's time for him to get back to contact practices to get ready for game action.

27 minutes ago, Plutarch said:

Mailloux is starting in London isn't he?

Filling in for Matheson, for practice purposes. He will be in London soon, but is still recovering from shoulder surgery.

On 10/9/2022 at 4:28 PM, dlbalr said:

I think Ingram could be another Primeau-type prospect.  He could be a capable #2 or be a fringe guy.  Either way, his track record is a lot better than Montembeault who was a fringe guy in the minors.  He also has the cheapest cap hit in the league which could come in handy if the Habs are going to be tap-dancing around their revised cap ceiling. 

The Habs passed on both Ingram (claimed by Arizona) and Olkinuora (assigned to minors) so it looks to me like they're planning to stay with Allen/Montembeault for the time being.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

The Habs passed on both Ingram (claimed by Arizona) and Olkinuora (assigned to minors) so it looks to me like they're planning to stay with Allen/Montembeault for the time being.

I was afraid of that happening (well, with Ingram at least; I didn't think Olkinuora would get picked up).  I just really don't want to watch Montembeault make 30+ starts this season.

27 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I was afraid of that happening (well, with Ingram at least; I didn't think Olkinuora would get picked up).  I just really don't want to watch Montembeault make 30+ starts this season.

Well, if he plays at last year's level, it will improve our chances in the Bedard sweepstakes, at least ...

Is it just me; but, are Habs simply repeating same ol pattern of rushing kids into NHL?

I think Xhekaj should be in Laval for sure and Slafkovsky as well (but i know not many #1s dont start in NHL, but irrelevant).

9 minutes ago, DON said:

Is it just me; but, are Habs simply repeating same ol pattern of rushing kids into NHL?

I think Xhekaj should be in Laval for sure and Slafkovsky as well (but i know not many #1s dont start in NHL, but irrelevant).

At the moment I believe these are injury generated decisions, not developmental decisions ... apparently when they were told they were staying the youngsters were also told when injured players returned the presence of their would be re-evaluated.

22 minutes ago, DON said:

I agree with you. I honestly thought the Habs new management would do things differently than Marc Bergevin did.

The season has not started yet, so let's be patient... but it is looking more and more like the 2015-2016 season

ADDING: I belive we had a line-up like this:

Pacioretty-Galcheynuk-Gallagher
Eller-Plekanec-Carr
Lessio-Desharnais-Andrighetto
Byron-Danault-Mitchell

Flynn, Brown

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Pateryn
BartleyBarberio
Ellis

Condon
Scrivens

Edited by alfredoh2009
added lineup

2 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I agree with you. I honestly thought the Habs new management would do things differently than Marc Bergevin did.

The season has not started yet, so let's be patient... but it is looking more and more like the 2015-2016 season

There is an enormous distinction here. 

Bergevin - development is up to the player and I’ve never heard of analytics. 

HuGo - let’s create a deep and vast development system, supported by analytics and support staff to make player development a franchise priority. 

Not the same thing

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

At the moment I believe these are injury generated decisions, not developmental decisions ... apparently when they were told they were staying the youngsters were also told when injured players returned the presence of their would be re-evaluated.

I expect Harris and Slafkovsky to head for Laval when Edmundson and Armia return to the lineup. Slafkovsky is better off with top-line minutes in Laval than fourth-line minutes in Montreal.

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

There is an enormous distinction here. 

Bergevin - development is up to the player and I’ve never heard of analytics. 

HuGo - let’s create a deep and vast development system, supported by analytics and support staff to make player development a franchise priority. 

Not the same thing

we have not seen any tangible positive impact of the coaching staff and development program.

we have not yet seen any benefits from the analytics

Like in politics during elections, the potential for all of this to work well is there; I will reserve my judgement after next summer.

But so far, with the NHL roster makeup, it feels like 2015-2016

2 hours ago, DON said:

Injuries don't help in this regard.  I also think they might shuffle some of the kids back and forth at times to give them a balance of some lower NHL ice time and then big minutes in the minors.  (Of course, more injuries could change that.)  The only rookie that I think stays the full season at this point is Guhle and to me, he has shown he's legitimately NHL-ready.

Kovacevic will play a role in this as well - if he's good enough to play on the third pairing on a regular basis, he'll push another youngster down with someone like Schueneman/Bowey/Leskinen coming up as the 7th D.

25 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

we have not seen any tangible positive impact of the coaching staff and development program.

we have not yet seen any benefits from the analytics

Like in politics during elections, the potential for all of this to work well is there; I will reserve my judgement after next summer.

But so far, with the NHL roster makeup, it feels like 2015-2016

IMO it is far too soon to even mention that you have seen no positive impact on development or benefit from analytics ... for now it is enough of a difference from the last regime that there seems toi be a different developmental philosophy and there is an actual analytics program in place ... as for feeling like the 15/16 roster ... hopefully they are not quite that good ... that team got 82 points ... last season that would have been 12th worst, with a 2.5% chance at the 2nd overall pick and no chance at 1st overall.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Injuries don't help in this regard ...

At this point, not only is Edmondson absent but even whether Matteson can return for tomorrow night is an unknown ... it seems somewhat doubtful.

I had Meloche on my short list of waiver pickups. I don't know if the Habs are done already; CGY seems to be trying to squeeze him by

Even telling all4 kids all at once "You made the team!"

Sounds good an d all that but seems the easy way to go, then telling Arber that you had great camp and be ready for a call up and we liked your play #20 but we want tp you to play big minutes in Laval for couple weeks and get acclimatized to pro game and small rinks.

(Given many euro kids struggle when tossed into deep end of pool as soon as crossing the ocean.)

And we all know there will be demotions/promotions happening, with farm team next door and injured already out; but, still see it as same as ever to me anyways, especially as a hot start to season will not likely happen and need to win is 2ndary.

I think Subban (Evans also i guess) was the last one they let develop well in Laval with full season in AHL.

They are not short of forwards/d-men who "could" play instead of Arber or #20. 

Whats the hurry?