2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Yes.

But almost certainly some part was because of players NOT playing through injuries, since they were not going to make the playoffs anyway. But how much that contributed, we’ll never know.

Oh there are some extraneous factors, and Price/Weber 2 years ago, and Price/Byron last season go into this calculation too.  But its just too many. 

Plus you have things like Monahan playing hurt and then re-aggravating, Caufield playing on a bum shoulder, some stuff with Guhle coming back too early.  and who knows what else behind the scenes that is contributing here.  Its still just too much to not have some kind of change.

• Like 1

Calgary is imploding

Lindholm, Backlund, Hanifin, Toffoli all likely to be traded.  All 1 year from free agency and all want out of calgary.

Pretty good position for a team that owns Calgarys 2025 first rounder 

• Upvote 2

They might be completely unrelated, but it’s slightly discomfiting that two of three prairie teams are imploding: Calgary and Winnipeg. No one seems to want to play in either place. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Calgary is imploding

Lindholm, Backlund, Hanifin, Toffoli all likely to be traded.  All 1 year from free agency and all want out of calgary.

I was surprised when I saw the story about Toffoli wanting out. He was one of the few on the team who was a fan of Sutter, perhaps that made him unpopular with others on the team?

Conroy is going to get quite the initiation as a rookie GM. 

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

They might be completely unrelated, but it’s slightly discomfiting that two of three prairie teams are imploding: Calgary and Winnipeg. No one seems to want to play in either place. 

Calgary surprises me, it's recognized as a great city to live in. It was recently ranked in the top 10 worldwide as one of the most livable cities. I think it's more of an organization problem than a city problem.  

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was surprised when I saw the story about Toffoli wanting out. He was one of the few on the team who was a fan of Sutter, perhaps that made him unpopular with others on the team?

I think it has more to do with the fact that if their other top players leave, it’s not going to be a very good team, and he probably wants to win again.

41 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Calgary surprises me, it's recognized as a great city to live in. It was recently ranked in the top 10 worldwide as one of the most livable cities. I think it's more of an organization problem than a city problem.  

I agree. They needed to dump Sutter a lot earlier. You could see it coming with the shots he was taking at Gaudreau in the playoffs. Then the whole Huberdeau is taking a shit or crap, or whatever, was so typically Sutter. The ownership loved Sutter though.

20 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Toffoli was vocally a Sutter guy. Also Lucic was in talks to come back earlier then now told to talk to others. The Sutter guys are leaving. I expected Toffoli out.

Backlund is a tough one for fans I'm sure but he probably just wants a shot to compete. Him leaving would likely be tied to Lindholm staying or not.

I'm curious if Hanafin was a Sutter guy. Don't recall hearing anything but I think he was just priced out.

It's just a bad combination at once.

Just now, Plutarch said:

Toffoli was vocally a Sutter guy. Also Lucic was in talks to come back earlier then now told to talk to others. The Sutter guys are leaving. I expected Toffoli out.

Backlund is a tough one for fans I'm sure but he probably just wants a shot to compete. Him leaving would likely be tied to Lindholm staying or not.

I'm curious if Hanafin was a Sutter guy. Don't recall hearing anything but I think he was just priced out.

It's just a bad combination at once.

Also on Backlund.... I remember hearing that he really wanted the captaincy and that could be a deal breaker. Maybe he was told no?

2 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hanifin is an american who wants to live in the US.

Especially when the team is circling the drain.

22 hours ago, Commandant said:

Calgary is imploding

I am quite certain there was intent and purpose on Hughes part for that pic to specifically be in 2025.  i.e. Hughes looked at the Flames cap and their contracts and realized they had quite a few key guys becoming UFAs in 2024.  It seems Hughes anticipated the Flames falling from grace in that draft. 

Toffoli wanting wanting out is interesting.  I'm wondering if the Habs should give the Flames 1st rnd pick back.  However, seeing how things are currently going in Calgary it would probably be better for the Habs to give up their own 1st to re-obtain Toffs in a sign and trade deal.  I've always felt that trading Toffoli was a mistake.   I don't think it would be wrong to bring him back.  

32 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I am quite certain there was intent and purpose on Hughes part for that pic to specifically be in 2025.  i.e. Hughes looked at the Flames cap and their contracts and realized they had quite a few key guys becoming UFAs in 2024.  It seems Hughes anticipated the Flames falling from grace in that draft. 

Toffoli wanting wanting out is interesting.  I'm wondering if the Habs should give the Flames 1st rnd pick back.  However, seeing how things are currently going in Calgary it would probably be better for the Habs to give up their own 1st to re-obtain Toffs in a sign and trade deal.  I've always felt that trading Toffoli was a mistake.   I don't think it would be wrong to bring him back.  

Yes, that pick in 2025 might be great but I will have to read the conditions again as it also depends on how Florida finishes I think, it's complicated. 

As much as I like Toffoli, he doesn't fit the rebuild. He will be a UFA in a year and it will be his last chance for a big contract and it isn't coming from the Habs.  He will be a much better fit for a contender. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, that pick in 2025 might be great but I will have to read the conditions again as it also depends on how Florida finishes I think, it's complicated. 

As much as I like Toffoli, he doesn't fit the rebuild. He will be a UFA in a year and it will be his last chance for a big contract and it isn't coming from the Habs.  He will be a much better fit for a contender. 

I agree re: Toffoli. Great guy, cool player, I enjoyed having him on the Habs and he clearly loved it here, but - he’s not what we need at this stage of our development curve.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

what??  And Nashville retains 50%?  What am I missing here?  Is Nashville doing a complete rebuild or is Trotz not a fan of Johansen? 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/avalanche-acquire-ryan-johansen-from-predators-for-alex-galchenyuk-1.1977045

Johansen is on an $8 mil ticket and had 26 points in 55 games. This is about NSH dumping a boat anchor contract

13 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Johansen is on an $8 mil ticket and had 26 points in 55 games. This is about NSH dumping a boat anchor contract

AND ... taking back a contract (likely only until it expires July 1st).

12 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Agree, but retaining 50% is not dumping all of it, likely would have been costly to get rid of without retention. 

Interesting with the draft being held in Nashville. They now have a ton of a cap room and a boat load of picks (10 in the 1st 4 rounds).  I expect the Predators to make some noise at the draft, perhaps trade up although that rarely happens as we have seen. 

11 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agree, but retaining 50% is not dumping all of it, likely would have been costly to get rid of without retention. 

Interesting with the draft being held in Nashville. They now have a ton of a cap room and a boat load of picks (10 in the 1st 4 rounds).  I expect the Predators to make some noise at the draft, perhaps trade up although that rarely happens as we have seen. 

I feel that sometimes we fans miss the forest for the trees. Yes, Nashville is retaining a lot of money. But the really important part is your second paragraph: “they now have a ton of cap room.” 

Depending on the owner, teams are probably more interested in the big picture - do we have cap space or not? - than in wringing their hands over $4 mil in dead money. Better to lose that money than sacrifice assets to get rid of more of it.

What this shows is that Nashville made a mistake with Johansen’s contract, not that this trade is a mistake.

15 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What this shows is that Nashville made a mistake with Johansen’s contract, not that this trade is a mistake.

No doubt, 8M/year is definitely too much.  I think Nashville is absolutely doing the right thing, it's rebuild time

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Another trade, LA clearing more cap room or just making room for a youngster or both? 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/los-angeles-kings-trade-defenceman-sean-durzi-to-arizona-coyotes-1.1977101

Montreal's pick ... thank you Marc Bergevin and Christian Dvorack

• tomh009 unpinned this topic