2022-23 NHL Discussion Thread

tomh009

But to see them flail and fail for 50 straight years, loved it!

Couldnt imagine if they ever have a dynasty of any sort, fingers crossed Habs get up to speed before that ever happens. :pray:

Just 1 more 1st round exit please!

4 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I hate the bruins more - they actually did beat us. But yeah, I’d rather have them win than the leafs. With leafs the issue is the damn pro-Leaf media.

if the damn leafs ever win anything we’d probably have hear about it for the next 50 years.

Exactly. 

On 2/18/2023 at 10:28 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I hope so. I am perpetually terrified that the Leafs will finally get out of the first round and ride a wave of momentum thereafter. Fortunately, they will likely meet the Bruins if they do beat an aging TB, so that offers one failsafe against a serious Cup run by those turds. Admittedly, the result would be victory for a different set of turds (Boston). But in a battle between the loathesome Leafs and the despicable Bruins, I pick the lesser evil - Boston - every time.

Agree 100%, the 2 things I want to see happen when it comes to the NHL

1) The Habs win the cup or

2) The Leafs don't win the cup 

Dealing with Leaf fans should they ever win, I cannot fathom how awful it would be.  

2 hours ago, DON said:

Torts2.0:nuts:

a few Habs reporters have mentioned that MSL's coaching is similar to Tortorella's. That is one rason why I postedabout Tortorella banning the iPADs from the Flyers bench earlier this season. I am glad St-Louis has followed Torts in that direction

11 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am glad St-Louis has followed Torts in that direction

Not a clue if that is good, i only know Tortarella from his press conference childish tantrums.

I am kinda hoping St. Louis isnt as combative and can handle the PR part better (simply be more mature than Torts maybe?)

Wishing the young man well.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not a clue if that is good, i only know Tortarella from his press conference childish tantrums.

I am kinda hoping St. Louis isnt as combative and can handle the PR part better (simply be more mature than Torts maybe?)

not my opinion, just relaying what the tv commentators were saying: something like, MSL doesn't believe in structure like Torts, there are non-negotiables on expectations but other than that he just rolls the lines and leaves it to the players to find solutions.

I heard that earlier in the season, and again when I was complaining about extended shift times for the top line and some defenders; I was questioning the lack of in-game adjustments.

After I hear that explanation of MSL's style of coaching, similar to what Torts uses. I stopped complaining and just accepted it for what it is.

I don't like it. But this is the team I am a fan of and I just enjoy watching them now

And the Panthers fall to the Sabres in a four-point game. No behind NYI, Sabres and Wings; tied in points with the latter two but with four fewer games remaining. (Pens also have four games on hand, and are only one game back.)

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And the Panthers fall to the Sabres in a four-point game. No behind NYI, Sabres and Wings; tied in points with the latter two but with four fewer games remaining. (Pens also have four games on hand, and are only one game back.)

That was a huge win for Buffalo tonight.  Detroit and Buffalo are perhaps peaking at the right time. 

21 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

not my opinion, just relaying what the tv commentators were saying: something like, MSL doesn't believe in structure like Torts, there are non-negotiables on expectations but other than that he just rolls the lines and leaves it to the players to find solutions.

I heard that earlier in the season, and again when I was complaining about extended shift times for the top line and some defenders; I was questioning the lack of in-game adjustments.

After I hear that explanation of MSL's style of coaching, similar to what Torts uses. I stopped complaining and just accepted it for what it is.

I don't like it. But this is the team I am a fan of and I just enjoy watching them now

I’m sure MSL is still learning a lot. I haven’t watched closely enough this year to assess things like his skill at the match-up game, etc.; and I think it’s a safe assumption that he will not be the coach to lead us to the Promised Land. My expectation is that we’ll be firing him early during the team’s “contending” years, assuming that those materialize.

That being said, the intriguing thing about MSL is that he appears to completely avoid the “overcoaching” trap that characterizes so much NHL coaching. So much is out of a coach’s hands that they tend to respond by maxing out what they can control: systems, structure, rules, this, that. I really think this comes from a combination of fear of getting fired - even if you lose, if the team has a bunch of 2-1 losses you can point to “structure” as proof that you’re doing a good job - and also just a desire to feel like you have control over outcomes.

MSL, by contrast, doesn’t need the job and seems to accept that the outcome is largely out of his hands. I think this is absolutely the right attitude. Leadership is not about maximizing control. It’s about empowering your people to succeed. A coach like Therrien who thinks HE is the main character has the completely wrong mindset.

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I’m sure MSL is still learning a lot. I haven’t watched closely enough this year to assess things like his skill at the match-up game, etc.; and I think it’s a safe assumption that he will not be the coach to lead us to the Promised Land. My expectation is that we’ll be firing him early during the team’s “contending” years, assuming that those materialize.

I’m not convinced we have seen his ceiling as a coach yet—or what he can do once he has more talent to work with. He’s different enough from the typical NHL head coach template that I really don’t know what the end result will be.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That being said, the intriguing thing about MSL is that he appears to completely avoid the “overcoaching” trap that characterizes so much NHL coaching. So much is out of a coach’s hands that they tend to respond by maxing out what they can control: systems, structure, rules, this, that. I really think this comes from a combination of fear of getting fired - even if you lose, if the team has a bunch of 2-1 losses you can point to “structure” as proof that you’re doing a good job - and also just a desire to feel like you have control over outcomes.

MSL, by contrast, doesn’t need the job and seems to accept that the outcome is largely out of his hands. I think this is absolutely the right attitude. Leadership is not about maximizing control. It’s about empowering your people to succeed. A coach like Therrien who thinks HE is the main character has the completely wrong mindset.

I think whether MSL is around for the next stage will depend on how long and how successful the rebuild will be. If you look at teams like Nashville, they kept their coach for a long time through to the rebuild. 

now Montreal fans, media, and ownership obviously will never the that patient - nor should they be.

Having said that, I think that within 3 years we can can be a lottery team and within 5 a serious contender. It does require the right vision on the team we want, the vision on how to get there - which has to include excellent drafting development. This was something that MB just gave lip service to.

It also means not making snap rash decisions and looking for quick fixes. That has been the issue from the time Ronald Corey fired Savard, to when they traded Roy. Gainey trading Ribeiro for less than a bag of picks, and then later trying to take a shortcut route to team building by trading away a future franchise dmen to build a through free agency. It continued with MB continuously bringing in has beens like Briere, Semin, Gonchar, , Hoffman, SHaw, and ott. Trading picks and prospects for Shaw and Drouin. It also means not making signings or deals to get more French like MB did in moves to pickup Briere, Drouin, Parenteau, or Danault. Danault was the only that turned out and that was the only move without giving up much assets or cap space in the case of Briere.

We need to continue to draft and develop better, and get some luck in where we pick - Bedard would go a long way in accelerating the rebuild. We sent Barron down, and he looks like he belongs now. In he past we kept guys like Mete and put them into roles before they were ready. I still am worried about Slafkovsky- both on whether we made the right choice, and even more on whether he was rushed in (that is the only move I’m really critical of the new management team. If we do develop the prospects we have better, and add the right pieces, I think MSL has a chance to be here for the next stage.

I think MSL has shown he has what it takes to get guys to play for him. The questions are whether MSL can continue to develop as a coach, become better on the technical aspects of coaching AND have the management team gets him the players needed for us to have a legit chance of being a wildcard team within three years, and a serious contender within five years. If not, than MSL will be past the expiry date for a coach. 

I like the direction we are on, and I think we MSL has a shot at being around for the next stage, but whether he is or not depends on the management team, along with his continual development as a coach.

15 yrs in Washington and then 25 years in Nashville ... RESPECT ... enjoy your retirement David

And coaches around the NHL breathe a sigh of relief as Trotz is off the market.

17 hours ago, GHT120 said:

15 yrs in Washington and then 25 years in Nashville ... RESPECT ... enjoy your retirement David

And coaches around the NHL breathe a sigh of relief as Trotz is off the market.

Helluva GM in some ways, but he never did win a Cup. I guess in a way that shows how hard it is to win. 

The great news here is that Trotz will not be an option for the Leafs if and when they face another early playoff exit. 👍 That’s one worry off my radar.

5 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That trade by tampa is going to go down as the worst in the last 5 years... maybe 10.

If they win the Cup again, the deal will be praised just like the Hagel trade was. The folly in this reasoning is that overpayment is overpayment. There’s no way you HAD to cough up all those picks for Jeannot, and the disbelief of other GMs is proof of that. This habit of overpaying will bite TB big-time once their current core is over the hill. Just dumb.

41 minutes ago, Commandant said:

That trade by tampa is going to go down as the worst in the last 5 years... maybe 10.

Why did Brisbois toss in the kitchen sink to add this guy?

14 minutes ago, DON said:

Hard to criticize a GM who’s been to the final 3 times, but holy Reshevsky Batman! Either Julien knows something no one else does, or he’s lost his marbles!!  Is there someone on the Leafs top 4 that Jeannot owns or something?

I wonder what a healthy Monohan (which at this point is probably an oxymoron) could have brought!!

let’s hope the deal at least helps Tampa knock off the Leafs, otherwise it’s one final swindle by Poile!

Rangers/Sather tried this strategy and traded away 1st round and other picks left and right and made it to 1 finals.

Before Gorton gave the fans the notice we are cleaning house...which Tampa likely do in a couple years...but is ALL GOOD for the, say 2026-28 Habs i would think.

Seems lots of futures going from eastern team to the West.:thumbs_up:

2 hours ago, DON said:

He had a crazy high shooting percentage last season.

This year weve seen him revert to the mean.  A borderline NHL player.

But hey, he hits and fights.

• tomh009 unpinned this topic