2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It seemed like all the scouts in Bob Mackenzie's rankings had him at 1 or 2. Just saying that what we read from the pundits is far from a sure thing. And I am not at all against Hughes trying to trade up to make sure he gets the centre he wants if it is possible without giving up too much. 

Trading up for #2 is tough ... Habs prospect depth is on defence but apparently so too is Anaheim's ... perhaps better than Montreal's.

I expect the Habs would have to offer the 5th, Slafkovsky and Dach to have a chance ... maybe include an option for the Ducks to swap first round picks with the Habs in 2024 (top 3/5 protected).

I expect the reaction will be that is too much ... for as much as Dach impressed last season, it projects as 20 goals and 54 points over 82 games.

It all depends on how highly we/HuGo rate Fantilli ... his 0.83 goals per game as a freshman is the all-time NCAA record, regardless of class year ... 0.97 assists per game is tied with for the all-time NCAA best With Logan Cooley (Fr), Luke Hughes (So) and Sean Farrel (Jr) ... he is 6'2", 195 pounds and doesn't turn 19 until October ... I think I would do it.

8 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm sure Hughes is doing his due diligence, which includes exploring options for moving up. (It could conceivably involve moving down, too, although that seems less of an option for a rebuilding team).

All I ask that Hughes not outsmart himself. Draft BPA, period.

actually, I would prefer he moves down and puts together a good package to trade for the *future* top-4 RHD I believe the Habs sorely needs

Absent a trade up, if there is no trade to move up and Michkov is available at #5 I would think that Washington would be very keen to get their hands on him ... but I am just not certain what they have to offer in terms of good prospects (The Athletic ranks their prospect pool as 26th in the NHL) ... guess it would have to be picks ... #8, #40 and something.

16 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I'm sure Hughes is doing his due diligence, which includes exploring options for moving up. (It could conceivably involve moving down, too, although that seems less of an option for a rebuilding team).

All I ask that Hughes not outsmart himself. Draft BPA, period.

Yup.  BPA, period. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I expect the Habs would have to offer the 5th, Slafkovsky and Dach to have a chance ... maybe include an option for the Ducks to swap first round picks with the Habs in 2024 (top 3/5 protected).

I expect the reaction will be that is too much ...

Yup, definitely way too much. Anaheim would take that trade in a heartbeat. Way way too early to give up on Slaf.  There is no guarantee Fantilli will be a saviour. I would much rather sit at 5 and take the BPA.  

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Trading up for #2 is tough ... Habs prospect depth is on defence but apparently so too is Anaheim's ... perhaps better than Montreal's.

Have Florida's/Flames 1st picks or Habs own 2024 one and prospects to trade, so they do have ammo.

27 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yup.  BPA, period. 

Thing is ... HuGo, Lapointe and Bobrov get to decide who the BPA is ... not Bob McKenzie, Craig Button, etc, or us.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DON said:

Have Florida's/Flames 1st picks or Habs own 2024 one and prospects to trade, so they do have ammo.

Obviously they have picks ... but Ducks have their own 1sts and extra 2nds and 3rds the next two drafts ... I expect only the Habs 2024 first would draw serious interest from Anaheim.

As I said, I am not certain that Anaheim has any need of defence prospects ... and I don't think that the Habs have any "move up to second overall" quality forward prospects ... their "big guns" are (IMO) Slaf and Dach. for such a trade.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

... I expect the Habs would have to offer the 5th, Slafkovsky and Dach to have a chance ...

No sooner did I post the above than:

Hockey30 | Juraj Slafkovsky demandé par les Ducks d'Anaheim

Who knew I was a source.

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

No sooner did I post the above than:

Hockey30 | Juraj Slafkovsky demandé par les Ducks d'Anaheim

Who knew I was a source.

I bet you didn't even know it.  LOL

No surprise they would ask for Slaf.  Who would you rather have; Fantilli  or Slaf and Michkov or I guess you could substitute a few other names for Michkov should the Habs take someone else. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I bet you didn't even know it.  LOL

No surprise they would ask for Slaf.  Who would you rather have; Fantilli  or Slaf and Michkov or I guess you could substitute a few other names for Michkov should the Habs take someone else. 

Did they though?

Hockey30 is a terrible source.  They are worse than Eklund on this stuff.

56 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Did they though?

Who really knows. It would make sense if they asked for him.  We are just speculating on speculation.  The speculation will only get worse until draft day.  It's going to be a looong couple weeks. 

35 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Who really knows. It would make sense if they asked for him.  We are just speculating on speculation.  The speculation will only get worse until draft day.  It's going to be a looong couple weeks. 

I'm just saying I trust a guy like Basu who has a very good track record, I don't trust Hockey30

6 hours ago, DON said:

You lost me?

I am just complaining about the number of unnecessary wins the Habs got last season that mean they may have to loose an asset to get the draft pick they could have gotten if STL hadn't  played with an empty net for the extra attacker for the win, or playing Savard late in games to spread over the ice and preserve a win, or other coaching decisions that brings on this situation.

I just hope they do not add insult to injury

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Did they though?

My point (above) was that after I posted my suggested trade suddenly the idea of Slafkovsky to Anaheim appears on their site ... or in other words ... HabsWorld is one of their sources.

19 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I am just complaining about the number of unnecessary wins the Habs got last season that mean they may have to loose an asset to get the draft pick they could have gotten if STL hadn't  played with an empty net for the extra attacker for the win, or playing Savard late in games to spread over the ice and preserve a win, or other coaching decisions that brings on this situation.

I just hope they do not add insult to injury

Unnecessary wins??  Are you suggesting that they should have "ta _ _ ed".   I hate using that word. 

1 minute ago, GHT120 said:

My point (above) was that after I posted my suggested trade suddenly the idea of Slafkovsky to Anaheim appears on their site ... or in other words ... HabsWorld is one of their sources.

Maybe you should post that we trade the #5 pick, Florida's 1st and Brendan Gallagher for the #2 pick and see if they post it on their site. If they do then you know you are being followed. 

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Maybe you should post that we trade the #5 pick, Florida's 1st and Brendan Gallagher for the #2 pick and see if they post it on their site. If they do then you know you are being followed. 

I'm not egostical enough to think I am being followed ... just that HabsWorld is one of the sites they peruse for ideas.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Oh i can believe it.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I'm not egostical enough to think I am being followed ... just that HabsWorld is one of the sites they peruse for ideas.

It’s Anaheim, it’s not like they have many other sources, or insiders for hockey news.l or rumours.

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Unnecessary wins??  Are you suggesting that they should have "ta _ _ ed".   I hate using that word. 

Just a couple of more losses , not a full sabotage