2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Smith is better than Cooley who was challenging for 1OA so yes I think he would have went #1 last year 

No one is talking Benson who Id like if we dont take Michkov.

Out of Michkov, Benson and Smith, which is your favorite at 5?

2 hours ago, Plutarch said:

Thoughts on the Slovak?

He just dosent seem like a #5 option, but Hughes and crew did watch him play this spring and i assume interviewed him last week, so who knows?

Leonard is one some are saying would be good option.

Other folks rankings;

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/527424/dalibor-dvorsky

Ranked #7 by FCHOCKEY

4 minutes ago, DON said:

,,, Leonard is one some are saying would be good option ...

From what I've heard/read he has an interesting combination of skill and sandpaper.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

From what I've heard/read he has an interesting combination of skill and sandpaper.

carpenters are always in demand, for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GHT120 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/10-things-learned-from-2023-nhl-scouting-combine/c-344809464

"I'd say Ryan Leonard (6-0, 192; No. 5)," said Musser (6-4, 215), who is No. 8 on Central Scouting's final ranking of North American goalies. "He's got a hard, heavy shot. I give him credit. He spends extra time working on it and can change the angle, change his release point. He comes in and it looks like he's shooting blocker but then he goes glove side. I think his shot is probably the best I've seen."

Augustine (6-1, 183), No. 3 on Central Scouting's final ranking of North American goalies, offered two players.

"Leonard's definitely up there, but also Danny Nelson (6-3, 202; No. 22)," Augustine said. "Both have really good shots. Leonard just gets it off super quick. He's able to get it off from different positions so he kind of makes it different every time and makes it hard to read.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mock-2023-nhl-draft-connor-bedard-adam-fantilli-top-picks/c-344826764

10 hours ago, DON said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/10-things-learned-from-2023-nhl-scouting-combine/c-344809464

"I'd say Ryan Leonard (6-0, 192; No. 5)," said Musser (6-4, 215), who is No. 8 on Central Scouting's final ranking of North American goalies. "He's got a hard, heavy shot. I give him credit. He spends extra time working on it and can change the angle, change his release point. He comes in and it looks like he's shooting blocker but then he goes glove side. I think his shot is probably the best I've seen."

Augustine (6-1, 183), No. 3 on Central Scouting's final ranking of North American goalies, offered two players.

"Leonard's definitely up there, but also Danny Nelson (6-3, 202; No. 22)," Augustine said. "Both have really good shots. Leonard just gets it off super quick. He's able to get it off from different positions so he kind of makes it different every time and makes it hard to read.

https://www.nhl.com/news/mock-2023-nhl-draft-connor-bedard-adam-fantilli-top-picks/c-344826764

Interesting

In terms of rankings, I always avoid the Central Scouting lists since they segregate North American players from European/"others" and skaters from goalies.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DON said:

The more I see of Ryan Leonard the more I like him. Seems like a great combination of grit and skill. The kind of player you win Stanley Cups with. 

https://theathletic.com/4601018/2023/06/14/nhl-mock-draft-2023-staff/

FWIW: Basu with couple swapped picks in  mock draft for Habs, interesting haul;

Benson 9th (LW)

Wood 17th (RW)

Hrabal 32nd (big Czech goalie)

"A trade to go get Hrabal as Montreal did at No. 32 is a realistic possibility. Teams traded up to get goaltenders Jesper Wallstedt, Sebastian Cossa and Mads Sogaard in recent drafts. Hrabal is highly valued in the league and if he doesn’t go day one I think he’ll be among the very first picks in the second round."

Also a lot of articles about the Habs trying to trade up.  I am sure Hughes is working the phones but those kinds of deals rarely happen. I don't see much point in trying to trade up 1 spot (unless the cost is reasonable) as the guy you want at #4 might be available at #5.  Teams are pretty tight lipped about who they are taking (obviously) to maximize trade leverage. 

https://nhltradetalk.com/canadiens-trying-to-trade-for-number-two-pick-2023-nhl-draft/

9 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Also a lot of articles about the Habs trying to trade up.  I am sure Hughes is working the phones but those kinds of deals rarely happen. I don't see much point in trying to trade up 1 spot (unless the cost is reasonable) as the guy you want at #4 might be available at #5.  Teams are pretty tight lipped about who they are taking (obviously) to maximize trade leverage.

There seems to be a growing expectation that Michkov will fall to five.  If the Habs want one of the four centres then, they'll need to move up.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

There seems to be a growing expectation that Michkov will fall to five.  If the Habs want one of the four centres then, they'll need to move up.

why trade an asset when it was so much easier to loose a few more games !

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

https://nhltradetalk.com/canadiens-trying-to-trade-for-number-two-pick-2023-nhl-draft/

This does give us a little insight though. Sounds like this means the Habs don’t like who they may be left with at 5, my guess would mean they don’t want to swing on Michkov.

A trade that actually could happen is swapping 5 for 4 with San Jose, and giving up another decent pick and prospect to do so. San Jose then takes Michkov & has extra assets on top of that. 

MTL likely takes Will Smith at 4 in this case. 

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

There is a growing expectation if you believe all the newsletter writers who are quite often wrong. There is almost always a surprise. Who thought a supposed generational talent like Wright would drop to 4 last year?  Nobody on this forum. 

24 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is a growing expectation if you believe all the newsletter writers who are quite often wrong. There is almost always a surprise. Who thought a supposed generational talent like Wright would drop to 4 last year?  Nobody on this forum. 

By the draft wright wasn’t considered generational, and some like Scott Wheeler had him at 4th OA. So it was definitely an option considered by reputable pundits

2 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

By the draft wright wasn’t considered generational, and some like Scott Wheeler had him at 4th OA. So it was definitely an option considered by reputable pundits

It seemed like all the scouts in Bob Mackenzie's rankings had him at 1 or 2. Just saying that what we read from the pundits is far from a sure thing. And I am not at all against Hughes trying to trade up to make sure he gets the center he wants if it is possible without giving up too much. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It seemed like all the scouts in Bob Mackenzie's rankings had him at 1 or 2. Just saying that what we read from the pundits is far from a sure thing. And I am not at all against Hughes trying to trade up to make sure he gets the center he wants if it is possible without giving up too much. 

I much rather he uses assets to get a top-4 RD than to gain a spot or two to pick someone who may never become an impact player in the NHL

I'm sure Hughes is doing his due diligence, which includes exploring options for moving up. (It could conceivably involve moving down, too, although that seems less of an option for a rebuilding team).

All I ask that Hughes not outsmart himself. Draft BPA, period.