2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

6 minutes ago, Meller93 said:

Yea I’m kind of in a similar spot in that I’m worried about how good of a fit Benson is. Awesome player though. 

Also agree with Don, Carlson falling to 5 would be 10/10.

only way I see that happening is CBJ loves Smith and takes him at 3, and SJS are dead set on Michkov at 4. That would be crazy 

Yes, getting Carlsson would be awesome. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Wild Hypotheticals (just for some fun)

• #5 for #8 and right to swap first-rounders in 2024 and/or 2025
  • I'd stay away from the Flyers, Briere seems to be on an early "winning streak"
  • #5, #31 and Dvorak for #10, #25, #29, 2024 2nd and Marco Scandella*
  • Edmundson to Laffs for #28

* - Blues apparently want to get rid of Marco ... he is a 2024 UFA and I do seem to recall him playing some right-side when he was here (one-year stop gap) ... Blues reportedly want/need a 3C.

We have 4 more sleeps to discuss hypotheticals. LOL Your St. Louis proposal is interesting. Not sure Washington will be worse than us in 2024/25  but you never know. 

44 minutes ago, Helmethead said:

Booked my flight to Nashville. 

Draft (and awards ceremony) here we come!!

My two boys gonna lose it when I wake them up at the crack of dawn on Monday to surprise them. 

Hopefully you bring the Habs great fortune!

1 hour ago, Helmethead said:

Booked my flight to Nashville. 

Draft (and awards ceremony) here we come!!

My two boys gonna lose it when I wake them up at the crack of dawn on Monday to surprise them. 

Nicee.

An option at 31 or 37(if have them to use?)

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/bradly-nadeau-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-report-rankings-analysis-stats-highlights/

1-16 ranking;

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/06/2023-nhl-draft-final-ranking-1-16/

Analytics bit on draft;

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2023/06/23/montreal-canadiens-an-analytical-approach-to-the-2023-draft-michkov-smith-carlsson-fantilli-habs-prospects/

20 hours ago, Meller93 said:

How happy will you be from 1-10 if one of these are picked at 5: Michkov, Smith, Benson, Leonard, Reinbacher, Dvorsky 

Michkov: 9.5/10

Smith: 9.5/10

Benson: 9/10

Leonard: 8/10

Reinbacher: 

Dvorsky: 

Michkov: 10/10

Leonard: 9.5/10

Reinbacher: don't know 

Dvorsky: don't know

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Michkov: 10/10

Leonard: 9.5/10

Reinbacher: don't know 

Dvorsky: don't know

Michkov eh, would be very interesting to see Hughes make that choice.

Is he Pavel Bure good (779pts in 702 NHL games)?

5 hours ago, DON said:

Michkov eh, would be very interesting to see Hughes make that choice.

Is he Pavel Bure good (779pts in 702 NHL games)?

I don’t know. I just go with what I read. He seems to have the highest ceiling and I’m a swing for the fences guy. You can pick up middling talent anywhere easily.

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

Man if we draft Michkov and pull off a trade for PLD man our top 6 players and top 2 lines would be so great 

Caufiled  / Suzuki  / Dach

Slafkovsky / PLD / Michkov

Would be fun to watch 

Dubois would be in his 4th year with habs when Michkov arrives for his rookie year, roster likely look much different for 26-27 season.

And Dubois likely would be looking for his next team by then.:nuts:

2 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

I don’t know. I just go with what I read. He seems to have the highest ceiling and I’m a swing for the fences guy. You can pick up middling talent anywhere easily.

While maybe not the same ceiling as Michkov (or Bedard), I don't think the other options are quite "middling", either. Assessments I have seen rank them higher than any of the players that were available in the 2022 draft.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

While maybe not the same ceiling as Michkov (or Bedard), I don't think the other options are quite "middling", either. Assessments I have seen rank them higher than any of the players that were available in the 2022 draft.

I can look through every draft in the past and find players drafted in the top 5 to 10, which can easily be traded for or signed as Ufa. It's the Kiril kaprisov, sebastian aho (later rounds), jack Eichel, Leon draisaitl talent which is much harder to trade for when they are young. You're right. Middling is not fair for this top 5.   I just look at his talent level and think he would be my first choice. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2023 at 2:31 AM, DON said:

Dubois would be in his 4th year with habs when Michkov arrives for his rookie year, roster likely look much different for 26-27 season.

And Dubois likely would be looking for his next team by then.:nuts:

Haha that’s hilariously spot on.

Dont think PLD could possibly live up to the hype/media attention should he land in Mtl.

Correctly said that there is great options in top 5 picks this year.

IMO   Leonard is the player this team needs if they aren’t getting the russian, and I actually like Leonard more but know so much less of the ruskie.

We need more players who impose their style of play on opponents as opposed to the “be patient and counter punch” technique.

Can see Leonard complimenting a top 6 that has Suzuki, Caufield and Dach as key pieces.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, DON said:

So, CBJ plan on taking a centre at 3,  aint taking Michkov, if you believe the Finn GM comments.

They've been saying that since about five minutes after the lottery.  They badly need a centre.

Just now, dlbalr said:

Perhaps something to ponder if the 4 Cs go first and the Habs don't want to take Michkov?

I saw a similar trade proposal regarding the Wings.  If Michkov is still available at 5th and they want him they could give the Habs their 9th and 17th pick.  That sounds good with the exception of the Wings being in the Habs division.  That's why I wouldn't do it.  However, what other teams (and preferably in the other conference) have 1st rnd picks in the top 10 and 20?

Everybody seems to fully expect that the Ducks will take Fantilli.  However,  according to 1 source that is allegedly close with the Ducks has said they could take Michkov instead.  The source claimed they view Michkov's ceiling to be higher than Fantillli's.   It will be interesting to see what happens with the Ducks pick because that could royally mess up the rankings for the top 5 or so picks.

44 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I saw a similar trade proposal regarding the Wings.  If Michkov is still available at 5th and they want him they could give the Habs their 9th and 17th pick.  That sounds good with the exception of the Wings being in the Habs division.  That's why I wouldn't do it.  However, what other teams (and preferably in the other conference) have 1st rnd picks in the top 10 and 20?

Arizona (6 and 12) is the only other one with that criteria and they're not moving 12 to move up one spot.

17 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If (big If) Leonard was available at 7 then I would very seriously consider it. 

That's the leap of faith they'd have to take as they won't know who Arizona would be taking at 6.

5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

That's the leap of faith they'd have to take as they won't know who Arizona would be taking at 6.

Right. In this scenario, if Michkov is there (and the Habs decided against him) and the two more players that are roughly equal … they could drop to 7th and still get one of those two.

There are a lot of ifs on that scenario though.

1 hour ago, dlbalr said:

Perhaps something to ponder if the 4 Cs go first and the Habs don't want to take Michkov?

59 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Agree it is worth considering ... I prefer 7th & 22nd over 9th & 22nd ... a little more control over the uncontrollable ... assuming it is Bedard and then in some order Fantilli, Carlsson and Smith, the Flyers get Michkov and the only wildcard is who Arizona takes at #6.