2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

17 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think part of the shift for the wings was that they shifted to building their team by trading for, and signing big name players. It seemed like every big name player was going to Detroit either as a a UFA, or as via trade - Shanahan, Hull, Robaitaille, Chelios, Hasak, along with many others.

Detroit became a chase the cup destination for a lot of players and they were moving picks and young players, or signing big name UFA’s as they spent as much as ownership was willing to ante up.

than the cap happened, and this model was no longer sustainable. When their base core aged out, or retired, they were left with an empty cabinet, bloated contracts, and cap constrained to chase talent. Holland wasn’t prepared for the cap world and, faced the same predicament as the penguins, having aging elite talent, and trying to go for it while they were still elite. 

None of this explains why their drafting after 2005 sucked.... (until recent years). 

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

None of this explains why their drafting after 2005 sucked.... (until recent years). 

I think it does. They shifted away for placing as much importance on the draft. They also traded away a lot of their picks and picking later. It’s possible they were spending more on pro scouting rather than amateur scouting. No way to confirm. But they clearly shifted away from trying to build a team through drafting, which meant that a player drafted wasn’t going to be contributing for 3-4 years. 

5 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think it does. They shifted away for placing as much importance on the draft. They also traded away a lot of their picks and picking later. It’s possible they were spending more on pro scouting rather than amateur scouting. No way to confirm. But they clearly shifted away from trying to build a team through drafting, which meant that a player drafted wasn’t going to be contributing for 3-4 years. 

Thats true in the early 2000s (when they still drafted well), but when you add 2005, 2006, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13.... etc... they had plenty of picks. 

Will Smith (2g) & Ryan Leonard (1g2a) looked good vs Latvia

Sandin-Pellikka 5 pts

Cole Eiserman really stood out also, 2024 draft kid, will go pretty next draft.

16 year old Cole Hutson, 3a and seems very similar shifty d-man to older brother (and all important he is 5'10":P).

Not as productive as top ranked guys, but Habs 2nd pick perhaps, if he is big enough for Hughes? 

Ranked about 10-15th.

How much is elite speed worth? 

https://theathletic.com/4420469/2023/04/21/2023-nhl-draft-prospect-oliver-moore/

Top 2023 NHL Draft prospect Oliver Moore’s speed is a ‘superpower’

"Brian Galivan, the longtime strength and conditioning coach for the program, goes a step further.

“I would put him up there in the same speed category as Connor McDavid and I would think he’s probably faster than Connor McDavid was at the same age. I’m not comparing him as a player but from an athleticism and speed standpoint, I’ve never trained (McDavid) but there’s no way he’s as fast as Oliver,” Galivan said on a recent phone call. “Dylan Larkin was here just before me but if I had to bet I’d put my money on Oliver all day. And that’s said professionally. Like I’m sorry man, there’s probably very few guys in hockey who could beat him in a race.”

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/603195/oliver-moore

2 hours ago, DON said:

Not as productive as top ranked guys, but Habs 2nd pick perhaps, if he is big enough for Hughes? 

Ranked about 10-15th.

How much is elite speed worth? 

https://theathletic.com/4420469/2023/04/21/2023-nhl-draft-prospect-oliver-moore/

Top 2023 NHL Draft prospect Oliver Moore’s speed is a ‘superpower’

"Brian Galivan, the longtime strength and conditioning coach for the program, goes a step further.

“I would put him up there in the same speed category as Connor McDavid and I would think he’s probably faster than Connor McDavid was at the same age. I’m not comparing him as a player but from an athleticism and speed standpoint, I’ve never trained (McDavid) but there’s no way he’s as fast as Oliver,” Galivan said on a recent phone call. “Dylan Larkin was here just before me but if I had to bet I’d put my money on Oliver all day. And that’s said professionally. Like I’m sorry man, there’s probably very few guys in hockey who could beat him in a race.”

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/603195/oliver-moore

Moore is an interesting one as most agree that he is an elite skater, not small, same height as Crosby. Likely not around for the Habs 2nd pick in the 1st round. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Moore is an interesting one as most agree that he is an elite skater, not small, same height as Crosby. Likely not around for the Habs 2nd pick in the 1st round. 

Habs could always try & trade up for a kid, same as they tried last year.

But, seems lots good prospects will be available at 17 or so...just his speed stands out and could be very useful (as Paul Byron was). 

https://habather.ca/2023/04/20/the-habs-and-the-mcguire-profile/

Rh d-man;

Rumours have suggested that the Habs have such a player in their sights in David Reinbacher. He is the top defender in the draft and is already looking solid while playing against men in the Swiss National League.

Ranked #17 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING

IN general;

Kinda hope they lean towards a forward, if dont trade Florida's pick.

And maybe shoot for d-man later on.

3 hours ago, DON said:

Habs could always try & trade up for a kid, same as they tried last year.

But, seems lots good prospects will be available at 17 or so...just his speed stands out and could be very useful (as Paul Byron was). 

I think a lot of options are on the table for the #17 pick (let's hope it's 17). It wouldn't surprise me if Hughes traded up or made another Dach like trade. I think the #17 pick in this draft is a very valuable trade chip. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

https://habather.ca/2023/04/20/the-habs-and-the-mcguire-profile/

Rh d-man;

Rumours have suggested that the Habs have such a player in their sights in David Reinbacher. He is the top defender in the draft and is already looking solid while playing against men in the Swiss National League.

Ranked #17 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING

IN general;

Kinda hope they lean towards a forward, if dont trade Florida's pick.

And maybe shoot for d-man later on.

As long as we aren’t using pick number 5 to take him!

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

As long as we aren’t using pick number 5 to take him!

Agree.

RH Sandin-Pellikka also an mid-1st option i suppose

Or wait and shoot for one of these d-men in 2nd round.

image.png

17 days till the Lottery

9 hours ago, DON said:

16 year old Cole Hutson, 3a and seems very similar shifty d-man to older brother (and all important he is 5'10":P).

Insanely, Cole is putting up better numbers at his age than Lane did so he could be even better.  They have an even younger brother Lars that is only 14 who is also a d-man who might be even better.  It must suck being the oldest brother Quinn who is the only 1 that plays F and he went undrafted.

3 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Insanely, Cole is putting up better numbers at his age than Lane did so he could be even better.  They have an even younger brother Lars that is only 14 who is also a d-man who might be even better.  It must suck being the oldest brother Quinn who is the only 1 that plays F and he went undrafted.

A lot of Coles coming through the USNDP. Cole Eiserman (24 draft) also stood out in game 1.

Sandin-Pellikka 6pts in 2games at U18s

USA- Smith & Leonard 6pts, & Perreault 7pts

2 possible kids for Habs 2nd pick;

Colby Barlow 1g today, the beaded kid.

Ranked #14 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING

6'1" OHL winger

Dalibor Dvorsky 1g1a vs Canada today

Ranked #11 by CONSOLIDATED RANKING

6'1" Slovac winger

Perreault just set record for pts with 110, passing Austin Matthews

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/meet-gabe-perreault-the-nhl-draft-prospect-that-broke-auston-matthews-scoring-record

"Of course, Perreault had some incredible help this season, thanks to Will Smith and Ryan Leonard. Smith was the playmaker, Leonard was the size, and Perreault was the goal-scoring. Combined, they made one of the most dominant lines in the history of the United States Development Program. It’s a tight group: they play a lot of NHL 23 off the ice, hang out together a lot and then you see them click every night on the ice. All three will be first-round picks this June."

Austrian RH d-man option 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/david-reinbacher-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-stats-analysis-highlights/

image.png

1 hour ago, DON said:

6'1" OHL winger

6'1" Slovac winger

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/meet-gabe-perreault-the-nhl-draft-prospect-that-broke-auston-matthews-scoring-record

"Of course, Perreault had some incredible help this season, thanks to Will Smith and Ryan Leonard. Smith was the playmaker, Leonard was the size, and Perreault was the goal-scoring. Combined, they made one of the most dominant lines in the history of the United States Development Program. It’s a tight group: they play a lot of NHL 23 off the ice, hang out together a lot and then you see them click every night on the ice. All three will be first-round picks this June."

Austrian RH d-man option 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/david-reinbacher-2023-nhl-draft-prospect-profile-scouting-stats-analysis-highlights/

image.png

Thanks for posting all of this interesting stuff for us 👍

8 hours ago, DON said:

6'1" OHL winger

6'1" Slovac winger

That line for the US is very impressive.  Pretty impressive dangle by Will Smith. 

Yaah;

Yannick(jr) 11pts-Smith 11pts-Leonard 9pts.

And all 3 headed to Boston College, neat i guess; but not sure if help development playing same linemates forever, then new ones in pro?

Has this happened before, when i think they said will be 5 guys off U-18 team are going to same school in the fall?

4 minutes ago, DON said:

Yaah;

Yannick(jr) 11pts-Smith 11pts-Leonard 9pts.

And all 3 headed to Boston College, neat i guess; but not sure if help development playing same linemates forever, then new ones in pro?

Has this happened before, when i think they said will be 5 guys off U-18 team are going to same school in the fall?

Yeah a bunch from 2 years ago all went to michigan. 

Its a regular thing, these kids join the US NTDP at 16/17 and stay there for two years in Ann Arbor.  They hang out and become friends (some might even know each other from younger ages), and often times a bunch will decide to go to college together. 

• Like 1

Ya, so is a millennial thingy i guess.

Smith is impressing folks. Would he even be there at 5? Alot of points this year. But, Benson supposedly more consistent effort and he is Canadian.:canada:

Havent heard alot on the russian kid but Pronman pretty high on him.

https://theathletic.com/4257787/2023/03/07/nhl-draft-top-prospects-2023-corey-pronman/

"Analysis: Michkov is one of the very best first-year draft eligibles I’ve ever seen from inside the offensive blue line. He has truly special offensive skill and hockey sense. His mind operates differently from other players in how he sees the play develop and always seems to find ways to figure into scoring chances despite not being the biggest or fastest. His mind is special, but he’s freakishly skilled with the puck too and can make elite stickhandling plays seem routine."