2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

It sucks Ottawa mailed it in but big wins by Pittsburgh and the Islanders and they have far easier schedules left than Florida. Still a chance Florida misses the playoffs. Hopefully Carolina's last game against Florida is an important game for Carolina so they don't rest a bunch of guys. 

Sure if all the skill and speed is equal, bigger is better. 

It is rare (see almost never) that the skill and speed is equal though.... there are almost always differences and you have to choose. 

43 minutes ago, Neech said:

Arizona finishes with three games at home, where they've been much better than on the road, so hopefully they can pick up some points there.

Much better indeed -- they actually have a winning record at home, 20-14-4.

Well;

The #5 picks from 2013-2019 on average have 166.57pts

The #6 picks """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" 216.28pts

So even if cant catch Arizona for the 5th pick, not the end of the world.

2 hours ago, DON said:

Well;

The #5 picks from 2013-2019 on average have 166.57pts

The #6 picks """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" 216.28pts

So even if cant catch Arizona for the 5th pick, not the end of the world.

Slightly skewed by the #6s all being forwards (two #5s are defencemen) ... AND ... by Edmonton drafting Jesse Puljujarvi and Vancouver taking Olli Juolevi so that Matthew Tkachuk could slide to #6 ... would prefer the habs not have to depend on the stupidity of others ... which is no guarantee of anything but gives HuGo the best chance to succeed.

44 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Slightly skewed by the #6s all being forwards (two #5s are defencemen) ... AND ... by Edmonton drafting Jesse Puljujarvi and Vancouver taking Olli Juolevi so that Matthew Tkachuk could slide to #6 ... would prefer the habs not have to depend on the stupidity of others ... which is no huarantee of anything but gives HuGo the best chance to succeed.

Agreed, we all know they are no guarantees when it comes to drafting.  The #6 pick could turn out better than the #5 pick but I would prefer my chances with the #5 pick. 

Remaining games for the bubble teams in the east:

Pittsburgh: Blue Jackets, Blackhawks

Islanders: Habs, Capitals

Florida: Leafs, Canes

I don’t think Leafs and Canes will roll over for the Panthers, so there is some hope for an early pick yet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Remaining games for the bubble teams in the east:

Pittsburgh: Blue Jackets, Blackhawks

Islanders: Habs, Capitals

Florida: Leafs, Canes

I don’t think Leafs and Canes will roll over for the Panthers, so there is some hope for an early pick yet!

There is some hope as Florida has the most difficult schedule BUT it's a nothing game for Toronto and a huge game for Florida so I expect Florida to win that one.  If it's a nothing game for Carolina (they have 1st clinched) then I expect them to rest guys so that would certainly help Florida. 

In reality the difference between Florida just missing the playoffs and making the playoffs and going out in the 1st 2 rounds is not much different (ie drafting 15-16 or 17-18) unless we get real lucky with the ping pong balls which would be a dream scenario. Still hoping they miss but becoming resigned to the fact that they will likely grab one of the last 2 positions. 

3 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is some hope as Florida has the most difficult schedule BUT it's a nothing game for Toronto and a huge game for Florida so I expect Florida to win that one.  If it's a nothing game for Carolina (they have 1st clinched) then I expect them to rest guys so that would certainly help Florida. 

In reality the difference between Florida just missing the playoffs and making the playoffs and going out in the 1st 2 rounds is not much different (ie drafting 15-16 or 17-18) unless we get real lucky with the ping pong balls which would be a dream scenario. Still hoping they miss but becoming resigned to the fact that they will likely grab one of the last 2 positions. 

Dream scenario is:

1) We win the lottery 

2) Florida doesn’t make the playoffs.

3) Florida also moves up 10 spots

Not sure if Florida. Am still move up 10 spots and we win the lottery - the lottery is for the first two positions right? So I think it’s possible - highly unlikely, but possible.

14 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Dream scenario is:

1) We win the lottery 

2) Florida doesn’t make the playoffs.

3) Florida also moves up 10 spots

Not sure if Florida. Am still move up 10 spots and we win the lottery - the lottery is for the first two positions right? So I think it’s possible - highly unlikely, but possible.

Yes, that is the dream scenario.  We win the lottery and draft Bedard and Florida wins the 2nd drawing and moves from say 15 to 5. Highly unlikely but possible. It's nice to dream. 

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

There is some hope as Florida has the most difficult schedule BUT it's a nothing game for Toronto and a huge game for Florida so I expect Florida to win that one.

Saturday was a nothing game for the Leafs and yet they played all out against the Habs. Given the pressure on them to succeed I don’t expect them to take the foot off the pedal even for two games. Even more so because they may well meet Florida in the playoffs too.

Saturday was a nothing game for the Leafs and yet they played all out against the Habs. Given the pressure on them to succeed I don’t expect them to take the foot off the pedal even for two games. Even more so because they may well meet Florida in the playoffs too.

I sure hope you are right and the Leafs come up with a big effort tonight.  We will know soon. 

I agree

Leafs have enormous pressure to make the second round this season and I don’t think they intend to coast into the playoffs. 

I would bet the coaches in Toronto are getting that team pumped up. I expect a solid game from the leafs

A rested Pittsburgh team, playing at home, playing the worst team in the NHL who is also playing on back to back nights.  What could go wrong??  If they don't come back in the 3rd then it's definitely time to rebuild. Pittsburgh is just too old. 

33 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

A rested Pittsburgh team, playing at home, playing the worst team in the NHL who is also playing on back to back nights.  What could go wrong??  If they don't come back in the 3rd then it's definitely time to rebuild. Pittsburgh is just too old. 

They tied it so (for now), there's still a hope that Florida could fall out.

Edit: That didn't last long, it's now 3-1 Chicago.

Meanwhile, Philly won in OT tonight so the Habs can't catch them.  That means their first-round pick is guaranteed to be in the top eight.

6 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

They tied it so (for now), there's still a hope that Florida could fall out.

Edit: That didn't last long, it's now 3-1 Chicago.

Meanwhile, Philly won in OT tonight so the Habs can't catch them.  That means their first-round pick is guaranteed to be in the top eight.

The Pens are done. Not sure what they do with that group. Core is too old, weak prospect pool.  They need to rebuild. 

56 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Unfortunately where the Florida pick falls became a little clearer tonight.  It will be 17,18,29,30,31 or 32.   Hopefully 17 or 18.  Give them credit, they fought hard to get back in the race and could pull a surprise in the playoffs. 

So they play either Carolina or Jersey I think or can they play Boston still?

Boston is scary 90% to beat Panthers, Jersey 70% to beat Panthers, Carolina 40% to beat the Panthers IMO

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So they play either Carolina or Jersey I think or can they play Boston still?

Boston is scary 90% to beat Panthers, Jersey 70% to beat Panthers, Carolina 40% to beat the Panthers IMO

They can play Boston if the Islanders jump ahead of Florida. I agree with your odds. Carolina is limping into the playoffs. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Florida took them out if they play them.  Losing Svechnikov was a huge blow for the Hurricanes as elite scorers are very handy come playoff time. 

14 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

The Pens are done. Not sure what they do with that group. Core is too old, weak prospect pool.  They need to rebuild. 

The eternal question resurfaces: can you rebuild when you have an all-time great franchise player still in his personal Cup window? Is that what Sid wants? Or does he want out, if that’s how they go? 

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The eternal question resurfaces: can you rebuild when you have an all-time great franchise player still in his personal Cup window? Is that what Sid wants? Or does he want out, if that’s how they go? 

That is a tough question for Pittsburgh.   Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Letang, Petry will all be at least 36 next year. That is a pretty old core and I don't see how a core that age can carry you through 4 tough playoff rounds. I think Pittsburgh has a very bleak future unless they make some tough decisions. I think a lot depends on what Sid wants. 

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

That is a tough question for Pittsburgh.   Crosby, Malkin, Carter, Letang, Petry will all be at least 36 next year. That is a pretty old core and I don't see how a core that age can carry you through 4 tough playoff rounds. I think Pittsburgh has a very bleak future unless they make some tough decisions. I think a lot depends on what Sid wants. 

At a minimum they need to dump Carter and Petry. It was stupid extending Carter. I think Hextall is gone and Burke takes over.

40 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

At a minimum they need to dump Carter and Petry. It was stupid extending Carter. I think Hextall is gone and Burke takes over.

Carter is all of $3.1m, small salary to worry about, considering rest of their forward salaries.

48 minutes ago, DON said:

Carter is all of $3.1m, small salary to worry about, considering rest of their forward salaries.

Given the other contracts, and their cap situation, makes signing Carter for two years even a dumber move. They are basically paying Carter 3.5 times what the Lightning are paying Perry for the same production.  With the age of their team they should have been liking to get  get cheaper younger players not resign and overpay for guys well past their best before dates.