Jump to content

2023 NHL Entry Draft


Habs Fan in Edmonton

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Its really only logical to hope the Habs get Bedard or the Yotes.

 

 

I've said that exact comment on here before. 

 

Interestingly, Friedman made an comment recently regarding Bettman and the Yotes.  Bettman has been getting a ton of heat from other owners for his insistence of allowing the Yotes to continue to exist.  Bettman needs to be careful. 

 

The players are pissed off because the Yotes affect the Cap and the NHLPA are unable to get rid of Bettman.  The GMs dont like it either, but they cant do anything.  However, if there are enough pissed off owners I'm pretty sure Bettman could be fired over it. 

 

The Yotes could be moving and soon, but to where?  There was mention of 2 expansion teams to Houston and Atlanta, but Quebec City could be another possibility.

 

 

There is no way Bettman is getting fired over the Coyotes. The owners know that their only path to even more money is a bigger US footprint. As for relocation, it would be Houston or even Atlanta again before anywhere in Canada

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, PMAC said:

There is no way Bettman is getting fired over the Coyotes. The owners know that their only path to even more money is a bigger US footprint. As for relocation, it would be Houston or even Atlanta again before anywhere in Canada


It has been reported that NHL viewership is down 20% this year and that is significant because as you say the only path forward is a much bigger USA footprint. I believe the issue is extremely suffocating TV deals that Bettman brokered. In any case, if this trend continues Bettman is in trouble. 

 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Matthews wouldn’t ever go to the coyotes unless he knew they were staying there. He sure the hell isn’t going to go to Quebec.
 

I think if the coyotes finally did get moved, the most logical location would be Houston. Keeps the East-West balance and gives Dallas a natural rival.


Yeah the only way this happens is if Mathews signs before the team is moved and he only has one more year to go. 

 

 

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

When Bettman leaves, however it happens, his replacement will do exactly what the owners want ... just like Bettman does now.


Yes - Profits trump virtually everything in our world but that doesn’t mean the new guy will pursue those profits in the same ways. 
 

Perhaps the path forward to greater revenues lies in cleaning up the sexism, racism shadows that blanket the NHL and hockey in general?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Interesting question!

 

6th  OA with St. Louis 

Bedard and DD ... because you can always later fire DD and hire MSL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Interesting question!

 

6th  OA with St. Louis 

We’d probably continue on finishing  between 30 to 32 with DD for another 5 years until he got fired, so I’m going with Marty.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Bedard and DD ... because you can always later fire DD and hire MSL

Only you have to hope he isn’t traded

away like Hall or Eichel by the next GM because the team has managed to get worse every year. At least Thompson broke out in Buffalo, but man did the oilers ever get Chiarelli’d - worst GM since Milbury!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Only you have to hope he isn’t traded

away like Hall or Eichel by the next GM because the team has managed to get worse every year. At least Thompson broke out in Buffalo, but man did the oilers ever get Chiarelli’d - worst GM since Milbury!

 

It’s a good point. Keeping DD might cost us Bedard anyway. So you may as well go with the other option.

 

Conversely, you could cross your fingers and hope that DD learns from his mistakes and evolves into a serviceable coach.

 

Fortunately, this is not a decision we’d need to make in real life, LOL.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

It’s a good point. Keeping DD might cost us Bedard anyway. So you may as well go with the other option.

 

Conversely, you could cross your fingers and hope that DD learns from his mistakes and evolves into a serviceable coach.

 

Fortunately, this is not a decision we’d need to make in real life, LOL.

Maybe if we kept DD we could also have saved money on Caufield’s next contract - since he’d probably still be in Laval or the 4th line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2023 at 8:11 AM, Prime Minister Koivu said:


Oh man imagine a new Nordiques team headed by Mathews and Bedard 🤮

 

As for Bettman, I hope he does get fired. NHL needs to fix the poor officiating and the entire frat boy mentality - Bettman refuses to even acknowledge these issues. 

 

Bettman is a figurehead for the owners.  As long as its the same owners, the next guy after bettman will have the same issues. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

Bettman is a figurehead for the owners. 

Yes.

Not sure why everyone dosent know this or see him the same.

He is not dictating to the owners what to do, simply a spokesman for the billionaire group he works for.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

Bettman is a figurehead for the owners.  As long as its the same owners, the next guy after bettman will have the same issues. 

 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Yes.

Not sure why everyone dosent know this or see him the same.

He is not dictating to the owners what to do, simply a spokesman for the billionaire group he works for.


I disagree with the idea that Bettman or his replacement are spokespeople. 
 

Bettman is responsible to present his vision and plans to increase viewership and ultimately revenues. That is the most important function he has - to increase revenues and viewership. The ownership discusses those plans and make adjustments. Owners certainly have the ultimate say but the owners don’t hand Bettman a plan/work orders. 
 

If viewership continues to decline and especially if revenues decline then a new vision will be embraced and Bettman will be gone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

 


I disagree with the idea that Bettman or his replacement are spokespeople. 
 

Bettman is responsible to present his vision and plans to increase viewership and ultimately revenues. That is the most important function he has - to increase revenues and viewership. The ownership discusses those plans and make adjustments. Owners certainly have the ultimate say but the owners don’t hand Bettman a plan/work orders. 
 

If viewership continues to decline and especially if revenues decline then a new vision will be embraced and Bettman will be gone. 

 

The owners give the marching orders through the board of governors and Bettman carries those out.  If they werent happy with what he was doing, he wouldnt have been commish this long.  Theyd fire him and get someone else.

 

90% of his job is to take the boos and the heat from the fans instead of the owners getting it.

 

As for viewership... tv ratings are down but streaming is up.  Its cord cutters and seen with every tv property... non sports stuff is even worse.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

 

The owners give the marching orders through the board of governors and Bettman carries those out.  If they werent happy with what he was doing, he wouldnt have been commish this long.  Theyd fire him and get someone else.

 

90% of his job is to take the boos and the heat from the fans instead of the owners getting it.

 

As for viewership... tv ratings are down but streaming is up.  Its cord cutters and seen with every tv property... non sports stuff is even worse.


So you are saying that Bettman is essentially a liaison between ownership and fans? 
 

I genuinely have no idea how things work here but unless Bettman is a liaison then surely they hired a leader with a vision and plan for growth of the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

So you are saying that Bettman is essentially a liaison between ownership and fans? 
 

I genuinely have no idea how things work here but unless Bettman is a liaison then surely they hired a leader with a vision and plan for growth of the game. 

 

I agree he has responsibilities, but I think the essential point is that he gets to do NOTHING significant without the approval and or direction of the BoG ... otherwise he is just an administrator and their "public face".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


So you are saying that Bettman is essentially a liaison between ownership and fans? 
 

I genuinely have no idea how things work here but unless Bettman is a liaison then surely they hired a leader with a vision and plan for growth of the game. 

 

Bettman is essentially the lawyer representing the owners interests.  As a lawyer myself, i know exactly what that looks like.  I give advice but ultimately act on the direction of the client.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree he has responsibilities, but I think the essential point is that he gets to do NOTHING significant without the approval and or direction of the BoG ... otherwise he is just an administrator and their "public face".

 

12 hours ago, Commandant said:

 

Bettman is essentially the lawyer representing the owners interests.  As a lawyer myself, i know exactly what that looks like.  I give advice but ultimately act on the direction of the client.


It sounds like many fans, including me, are directing their ire in the wrong direction! 
 

I don’t like Bettman but it’s pointless being angry at him if he is not directing this ship in anyway. 
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It sounds like many fans, including me, are directing their ire in the wrong direction! 
 

I don’t like Bettman but it’s pointless being angry at him if he is not directing this ship in anyway. 

 

Not in any significant way ... but easier to be angry with one person than 32 largely unknown people.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

 


It sounds like many fans, including me, are directing their ire in the wrong direction! 
 

I don’t like Bettman but it’s pointless being angry at him if he is not directing this ship in anyway. 
 

 

Thats part of bettmans job.  Take the heat for the owners.

 

Jacobs (boston) is one of the most powerful owners in the league, if not the most powerful. Boston fans dont boycott though cause they never blame him for league decisions, its bettman who is the face of anything unpopular 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AT moment; sitting in standings with picks #5 & #14.

 

Lottery date is set, May 8th 7PM.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:


Florida could use a record setting losing streak

I think Devils were up 2-0 and Panthers win 4-2, no good!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow, Bedard hits 70 goals. I remember the last time a draft prospect hit 70, he was more overlooked than Bedard but has panned out well in the pros (so far).

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Neech said:

Wow, Bedard hits 70 goals. I remember the last time a draft prospect hit 70, he was more overlooked than Bedard but has panned out well in the pros (so far).

 

 

Yup many GMs dreaming of a McDavid-type player, fo sure.

 

I fully expect them to 'not' be picking 1st.

And looking at a Zach Benson as "more likely".

Not a Bedard but kid will end up 3rd in WHL scoring with about 100points, assuming 2 pts in last 3 games.

28706.jpg
Zach Benson
#9
C
Shoots: 
L
Height: 
5'10
Weight: 
159
Birthdate: 
2005-05-12
Hometown: 
Chilliwack, BC
Draft:
WHL - WPG (2020) Round: 1 (#14)
GP G A PTS +/- PIM PPG SHG SOG FOW
60 36 62 98 68 49 4 6 193 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...