2023 NHL Entry Draft

Habs Fan in Edmonton

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Right -- his ceiling is very high, but that is not guaranteed, just like any draft prospect. Additionally, there is the availability risk (discussed above) and the assessment risk (none of the scouts have seen him play live in the past year). So, the various draft rankings have him all over the place as no one really knows how much risk appetite each of the draftingteams has.

Is Bobrov not in Russia?  How has no one seen him live. 

And yes, we don't know what appetite the teams have. 

I'm saying that personally, I would accept the risk as I think its a lot smaller than has been put forward and I think the difference between getting a good player and a superstar who can challenge for the Rocket Richard if he reaches his potential is worth it. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

1. NOT saying they should not draft Michkov, just that there are a lot of factors to consider that don't exist for other options.

2. Poutine's idea of "glory" is at home in the KHL for domestic glory and at Olympics, World Championships, etc. for international glory.

2.) Is it?  The Alex Ovechkin issue seems to suggest otherwise. 

On top of that, his players will develop better and have a better chance of international success if playing against the best of others.  Iron sharpens iron. 

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

2.) Is it?  The Alex Ovechkin issue seems to suggest otherwise. 

On top of that, his players will develop better and have a better chance of international success if playing against the best of others.  Iron sharpens iron. 

Ovechkin left in a different era, but Poutine will surely exploit if possible ... keeping the better/best players in the KHL *** MAY *** be a way to "showcase Russian superiority" for locals and "entertain the masses" when the economy is not flourishing and bad news & knowledge of deaths from Ukraine undoubtedly circumvent the truly state-controlled media.

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Ovechkin left in a different era, but Poutine will surely exploit if possible ... keeping the better/best players in the KHL *** MAY *** be a way to "showcase Russian superiority" for locals and "entertain the masses" when the economy is not flourishing and bad news & knowledge of deaths from Ukraine undoubtedly circumvent the truly state-controlled media.

Certainly Putin has a lot of influence in Russia and may prevent some players from leaving but there is little chance he would get in the way of Ovehckin breaking the record.  

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Certainly Putin has a lot of influence in Russia and may prevent some players from leaving but there is little chance he would get in the way of Ovehckin breaking the record.  

NEVER suggested he would
?????????

8 hours ago, Commandant said:

Is Bobrov not in Russia?  How has no one seen him live. 

And yes, we don't know what appetite the teams have. 

I'm saying that personally, I would accept the risk as I think its a lot smaller than has been put forward and I think the difference between getting a good player and a superstar who can challenge for the Rocket Richard if he reaches his potential is worth it. 

plus Nick Bobrov, was a scout for SKA St. Petersburg, and his father is a consultant for the team. 

surely they have intel on the whole situation. 

they should be in a good situation under the limited live scouting to rely on Nick Bobrov dad to get some ' inside details ' 

good or bad

https://theathletic.com/4506243/2023/05/11/nhl-mock-draft-2023-corey-pronman/?campaign=5888993&source=dailyemail

Sure hope they dont go a d-man

5. Montreal Canadiens: David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SWISS)
In the staff mock, Michkov going No. 4 led to Reinbacher getting to Arizona at No. 6. In this scenario, I think Montreal jumps at the top defense prospect in the class. Either way, I don’t think Reinbacher lasts very long on draft day.

Unless Hughes goes somewhat outside of the consensus top 5.

3 to 5 would be :

Michkov, Carlsson, and Smith

depending where Columbus is going with ( Leo Carlsson is the only one of the 3 on the World Championship men's team , so he does well, I think they pick him )

That leaves Smith and Michkov.. keep thinking the Sharks grab him Matvei.. Although Grier son did play with Will Smith.. that's the wildcard.

Michkov or Smith ..whomever San Jose picks , Habs grab the other that's how I see it.. unless if Michkov is at 5, and Bobrov has Intel not to take Matvei. Then who do Habs take at 5? Hmmm that will be interesting ( 6 to 10 are interchangeable, trade down and grab another draft pick plus one in 6 to 10 pick )?

10 hours ago, DON said:

As a LHD I wonder if he is one of the "plays his off side" Russians for which they are (were once?) famous.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

As a LHD I wonder if he is one of the "plays his off side" Russians for which they are (were once?) famous.

If your strictly looking at current roster needs sure.

But a late 1st likley wont be a Hab for couple years at least, so not as important if LH-RH... a 29th pick that will be a NHL regular, would be better than most taken at that spot.

e.g. Juulsen-Scherbak-Fucale-Collberg-Tinordi-McCarron-Poehling...

I do think that Juulsen would have been an NHL regular without his injury troubles. Otherwise, yeah, it’s not easy finding good players that late in the first.

On 5/11/2023 at 8:56 AM, Commandant said:

You dont let Roy and Mesar, who may not even be NHLers get in the way of drafting Michkov.  They shouldnt even be part of that conversation.

As for Dach, he was a possession monster on whatever line they put him, both centre and wing.  Yes he had more points on wing but was also playing with Caufield and Suzuki, while he didnt get the same talent on his line at centre.  I think he will succeed wherever we put him.

Completely agree on Dach. I'm not against keeping him at wing, but honestly would prefer to see him have his own line as a C. I would like to see how he does with Caufield as well. He's a big reason why I question the logic of trading for PLD. 

Pronman has Reinbacher to Habs, Wheeler Michkov.

https://theathletic.com/4498815/2023/05/10/nhl-mock-draft-bedard-fantilli/

5. Montreal Canadiens: Matvei Michkov, RW, SKA St. Petersburg

My rank: No. 3

I think there are two very different possible outcomes here for the Canadiens:

1. If Michkov is selected in front of them, they’re going to have a fairly simple decision to make, drafting whichever of centres Will Smith and Leo Carlsson is available to them at No. 5. That’s their best-case scenario, and it would be a huge win for an organization that needs two things above all else: a second high-end centre to pair with Suzuki, and a starting goalie.

• Like 1

Not big on taking a d-man at 5, given the good looking forward options that should be available.

But, maybe Habs are and see this kid as Matheson/Guhle's future partner? 

Am guessing he might be in Laval this fall if chosen? NHL "ready" seen noted, opposite timeline from a Michkov, may factor into their Master plan.

And Pronman's glowing write up on him sound like a smart option.

https://theathletic.com/4476608/2023/05/03/nhl-draft-2023-rankings-corey-pronman-will-smith/

Analysis: Reinbacher is an excellent all-around defenseman. His mobility stands out immediately, especially as a 6-foot-2 right-shot defender. Reinbacher’s gap control is quite strong; he kills a lot of plays due to his feet. He can close on guys with his body too, and shows a high compete level to win back pucks. He’s very polished defensively for such a young player, and projects to shut down good NHL forwards. He’s able to both skate and pass pucks up ice. He’s got good offensive touch, showing solid hands and better vision. He’s not dynamic with the puck but showed this season at a young age he could make plays and move the puck like a pro. His sense is very good and he projects to be a power-play guy in the NHL. Reinbacher is a potential top-pair, all-situations NHL defenseman.

1 hour ago, DON said:

Not big on taking a d-man at 5, given the good looking forward options that should be available.

But, maybe Habs are and see this kid as Matheson/Guhle's future partner? 

Am guessing he might be in Laval this fall if chosen? NHL "ready" seen noted, opposite timeline from a Michkov, may factor into their Master plan.

And Pronman's glowing write up on him sound like a smart option.

https://theathletic.com/4476608/2023/05/03/nhl-draft-2023-rankings-corey-pronman-will-smith/

Analysis: Reinbacher is an excellent all-around defenseman. His mobility stands out immediately, especially as a 6-foot-2 right-shot defender. Reinbacher’s gap control is quite strong; he kills a lot of plays due to his feet. He can close on guys with his body too, and shows a high compete level to win back pucks. He’s very polished defensively for such a young player, and projects to shut down good NHL forwards. He’s able to both skate and pass pucks up ice. He’s got good offensive touch, showing solid hands and better vision. He’s not dynamic with the puck but showed this season at a young age he could make plays and move the puck like a pro. His sense is very good and he projects to be a power-play guy in the NHL. Reinbacher is a potential top-pair, all-situations NHL defenseman.

Why are you not crazy about taking a D-man at #5? Is this based on an analysis of the prospects involved, or is it meant as a more philosophical statement about defencemen?

I 'think' stats show, is easiest to find an All star forward in top of 1st round. Lots of all star d-men found later in 1st or 2nd round.

But moreso, my thought that the  Habs really need at least 1 top 10 scoring forward (sooner or later). :spamafote:

57 minutes ago, DON said:

I 'think' stats show, is easiest to find an All star forward in top of 1st round. Lots of all star d-men found later in 1st or 2nd round.

But moreso, my thought that the  Habs really need at least 1 top 10 scoring forward (sooner or later). :spamafote:

We also have a glut of D prospects at the moment, with not many good forwards.

12 minutes ago, Neech said:

Seeing more hype around Benson. Is the gap between him and Smith really that big?

Likely depends on who you ask.

55 minutes ago, Neech said:

Seeing more hype around Benson. Is the gap between him and Smith really that big?

Benson was #1 star vs Davidson/Seattle, with 2g in a 4-2 loss.

23 hours ago, DON said:

I’m no draft expert, but philosophically, I place a very high value upon defencemen. Hedman, Dahlin, and Quinn Hughes spring to mind as franchise d-men picked high in the first round. So I’d have zero problem at all with picking a D-man at #5 overall…IF he is the BPA. (My real point here is: BPA). 

• Upvote 1