Game #76 Habs vs Panthers 7pm

Neech

A bit of help elsewhere for the Habs.  Philly comes back from down 4-1 to tie it before losing in OT to Ottawa.  The Flyers had four shots late in the second period and I think tied it at four on their 11th shot.  That's stealing a point.  Pittsburgh beats Nashville so Florida is still out of a playoff spot.  OT in that one would've been nice though.

I loved Maurice's post game comments regarding the Habs.  He said:  "they play fast and hard, they got 8 guys out, especially key pieces; nobody can win games in the NHL like that.  They have good spirit and compete and have found their character and will be a real good team real fast".   

35 minutes ago, DON said:

Well, it wasnt horrible game i guess, just outmatched.

Great moment for Farrell to get a lucky break and break the ice. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/canadiens-farrell-latest-rookie-instantly-comfortable-confident-under-st-louis/

Apart from the goal, Farrell looks far more comfortable and confident on the ice. He looked like he'll very much be an NHL player, even if he needs time yet.

2 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apart from the goal, Farrell looks far more comfortable and confident on the ice. He looked like he'll very much be an NHL player, even if he needs time yet.

I have no great feeling one way or the other about Farrell after couple games.

After the season so far...all i hope is that Farrell goes into the off-season UN-injured and has nice long healthy off-season to train and looks good in the fall.:pray:

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Im a little concerned about his stature.  We seem to have a growing number of very small players. 

Being small doesn’t mean they are crap but small players have their own challenges. How many small, shifty players should we have at one time?

Caufield - Suzuki - ? Suzuki is deceptively thick but without Dach this line isn’t big. 

Farrell - Evans - Gallagher is a pretty small line. 

Slafkovski - Dach - Anderson has some beef 

Hoffman - Dvorak - Ylonen isn’t big or physical. 

Even if you spread the beef line around we seem pretty small. The league is about speed and skill but more and more large men now have that speed and skill. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

After the season so far...all i hope is that Farrell goes into the off-season UN-injured and has nice long healthy off-season to train and looks good in the fall.:pray:

I don't think he'll have as long of an offseason as most Habs will.  Unless he's going to finish up his college courses in-person, I imagine he'll play at the Worlds in May.

28 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Im a little concerned about his stature.  We seem to have a growing number of very small players. 

Being small doesn’t mean they are crap but small players have their own challenges. How many small, shifty players should we have at one time?

Caufield - Suzuki - ? Suzuki is deceptively thick but without Dach this line isn’t big. 

Farrell - Evans - Gallagher is a pretty small line. 

Slafkovski - Dach - Anderson has some beef 

Hoffman - Dvorak - Ylonen isn’t big or physical. 

Even if you spread the beef line around we seem pretty small. The league is about speed and skill but more and more large men now have that speed and skill. 

It depends on how good Farrell is and what his ceiling is.

When I look an our roster, and look at the mix, I’m mores concerned with having enough skill, and I wouldn’t even give consideration to the following:

-Hoffman - he’ll be gone next year hopefully by the trade deadline 

-Ylonen - don’t know yet if he is part of the future, or what that future is (similar to Farrell

-Gallagher- he’s not the guy he was - we are stuck with him. if need be you move him down and in a couple if years try and move him ir but him out, unless by some miracle he is healthy and productive.

-Dvorak - I don’t see him here as part of the future build. 

I think it’s more important to look at the players that will/can potentially play a key role for the future core to build around. If those I think we only have four forwards on the roster that I’d want to go forward with, and a fifth that can be part of the core, but I don’t know how durable he will be. If that group:

-only Caufield is really small. But I don’t care the guy is clearly elite.

-Suzuki’s build isn’t all that different than Crosby. Not the same skill level, but I think he can be a Bergeron type of centre.

- Dach is big, but it’s concerning he is injured so much. Like what I’ve seen, if he is healthy and continues to progress should help with addressing the gap of not having size and if stays at centre, he’d be our first big centre since Bobby smith.

-Slafkovsky is huge, but also concerned with the injuries and not having awareness to protect himself. He is a guy that we absolutely need to be a top line scorer.

-Anderson is huge - but also has long injury history.

So I’m actually more concerned with the durability of our big guys, than I am about having a team that is too small. I’m leery about Anderson breaking down, since he plays with the same kamikaze style as Gallagher. 

Given these guys as who I think are part of the actual core, we only really have one small guy. let’s keep adding skill, and worry about the size mix later. If Farrell is an effective top 9 guy, I don’t care bout his size. 

I think the Habs could be a team of 6'4" 240lb players, and one 5'11" 190 lb player, and they'd be considered "small". Kouiv! Petrov! Caufield! Gallagher! Tiny Habs!

The Avs are the smallest team in the league. I'll take their Cup, thanks!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

When I look an our roster, and look at the mix, I’m mores concerned with having enough skill, and I wouldn’t even give consideration to the following:

-Ylonen - don’t know yet if he is part of the future, or what that future is (similar to Farrell

-Gallagher- he’s not the guy he was - we are stuck with him. if need be you move him down and in a couple if years try and move him ir but him out, unless by some miracle he is healthy and productive.

I think it’s more important to look at the players that will/can potentially play a key role for the future core to build around. If those I think we only have four forwards on the roster that I’d want to go forward with, and a fifth that can be part of the core, but I don’t know how durable he will be. If that group:

-Suzuki’s build isn’t all that different than Crosby. Not the same skill level, but I think he can be a Bergeron type of centre.

- Dach is big, but it’s concerning he is injured so much. Like what I’ve seen, if he is healthy and continues to progress should help with addressing the gap of not having size and if stays at centre, he’d be our first big centre since Bobby smith.

-Slafkovsky is huge, but also concerned with the injuries and not having awareness to protect himself. He is a guy that we absolutely need to be a top line scorer.

So I’m actually more concerned with the durability of our big guys, than I am about having a team that is too small. I’m leery about Anderson breaking down, since he plays with the same kamikaze style as Gallagher. 

Given these guys as who I think are part of the actual core, we only really have one small guy. let’s keep adding skill, and worry about the size mix later. If Farrell is an effective top 9 guy, I don’t care bout his size. 

What you say about the future core is true. Guys like Hoffman will be gone and guys like Ylonen may or may not even be here. 

Let’s see how Farrell develops. Being small isn’t a problem if you are good. 

Slafkovsky is injured because he is raw and stupid. He will learn to keep his head up and watch for other players. Anderson is going to have injury issues his whole career because he plays so hard. Many of us want to trade him largely because of this. Dach was out for a while because of his STD/Flesh eating disease so I’m not sure he has injury issues. 

Not to mention the questions surrounding the Habs medical staff

34 minutes ago, huzer said:

I think the Habs could be a team of 6'4" 240lb players, and one 5'11" 190 lb player, and they'd be considered "small". Kouiv! Petrov! Caufield! Gallagher! Tiny Habs!

The Avs are the smallest team in the league. I'll take their Cup, thanks!

I don’t think the “Habs are smurfs” has been a thing for a while. Bergevin brought in Chairot, Edmundson, Weber, Savard, Anderson and certainly trended in the beefy direction. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think that's a pretty good analysis. Being big certainly doesn't guarantee you won't get hurt and the Habs seem to suffer way more than their share of injuries. A guy like Suzuki is deceiving, not tall but a very strong lower body which helps with maintaining balance.  I am also concerned about Dach being injured a lot as he is such a key guy moving forward.