2023-24 NHL discussion thread

tomh009

2 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I don’t follow non Hab players and generally don’t care about their stats either. I’m posting this stat card because it’s remarkable. 

IMG_0309.jpeg

And there are Leaf fans who still think Mathews is the best player in the world. Not even close. 

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And there are Leaf fans who still think Mathews is the best player in the world. Not even close. 

Matthews is an incredible player, but no one outside of Leafs Nation seriously believes that nonsense.

14 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Matthews is an incredible player, but no one outside of Leafs Nation seriously believes that nonsense.

There’s leafs fans I grew up with that felt Sittler got 10 points in a game so that proves he was the best player in the NHL, and that Palmateer was a much better goaltender than Dryden🙄

2 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

There’s leafs fans I grew up with that felt Sittler got 10 points in a game so that proves he was the best player in the NHL, and that Palmateer was a much better goaltender than Dryden🙄

I used to hear from Leaf fans all the time about how Palmateer was the best goalie in the NHL. Heaven forbid the Leafs win the cup again in my lifetime. 

Last night Patrick wasn't happy with his team's performance (especially their turnovers):

SEA 2 vs NYI 1 (SO): Patrick Roy | New York Islanders (nhl.com)

So today

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I used to hear from Leaf fans all the time about how Palmateer was the best goalie in the NHL. Heaven forbid the Leafs win the cup again in my lifetime. 

It's funny how different the culture can be within different fanbases. Leafs culture is marked by a critical mass of mindless fanboys ("THIS IS THE YEAR!!!!" every year). What makes it even more irritating is that this idiocy is magnified by the "national" (i.e., Toronto) media, HNIC, etc. Here in Vancouver, meanwhile, the culture is the exact opposite, marked by a chronic doom-and-gloom pessimism. Even now, with the team in 1st overall by a bullet, half the fanbase is waiting for the other shoe to drop. Something has to go wrong...some disaster must be just around the corner..😬

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Mcdavid is likely the most skilled player to ever play hockey. He EXCELS at every area of the ice. 

"Best ever" or "GOAT" are such difficult comparisons to make, in any sport, as the nature of sport--and the science that goes into training and preparation--has changed so much over the years. McDavid is likely the best player in this century, but is it realistic to compare him with Gretzky? Orr? Beliveau? Howe? Harvey? Richard? Shore? Morenz? Impossible, I think.

Best player in the salary cap era, though? Definitely. 😊

13 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

"Best ever" or "GOAT" are such difficult comparisons to make, in any sport, as the nature of sport--and the science that goes into training and preparation--has changed so much over the years. McDavid is likely the best player in this century, but is it realistic to compare him with Gretzky? Orr? Beliveau? Howe? Harvey? Richard? Shore? Morenz? Impossible, I think.

Best player in the salary cap era, though? Definitely. 😊

I agree that it’s impossible to judge because each era of hockey was unique. 

Comparing points totals after playing the same number of games, Gretzky has around 2.5 times more points than McDavid. 

However I would love to see Gretzky’s stat card because I don’t think that he dominated in every area of the ice like Mcdavid does. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

However I would love to see Gretzky’s stat card because I don’t think that he dominated in every area of the ice like Mcdavid does. 

What McDavid can do at high speed is unlike any other player I have seen. 

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

"Best ever" or "GOAT" are such difficult comparisons to make, in any sport ...

I agree that "inter-generational" comparisons are difficult ... but @Prime Minister Koivu didn't say Goat or greatest, but most skilled ... as @Habs Fan in Edmonton said, and I agree, "What McDavid can do at high speed is unlike any other player I have seen" ... and I've been watching for over 50 years.

Bergevin

BErgevin

BERgevin

BERGevin

BERGEvin

BerGEVin

BERGEVIn

BERGEVN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Columbus desperately the needs the leadership and intensity of Brendan Gallagher!

• Like 1

Maybe Timmins finally gets the GM job he has been working towards

5 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Maybe Timmins finally gets the GM job he has been working towards

Columbus just can’t catch a break.

Think of all the players they squandered - really, really good players. 

Timmins AND/OR Bergevin are not great drafters or judges of talent IMO. It would be another disaster for poor Columbus. 

Columbus isn't going to fire all the front office staff with the GM in a midseason transaction. 

They are gonna let the new GM pick his staff, so not firing Timmins or anyone else, doesn't necessarily mean he's safe. 

17 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Timmins AND/OR Bergevin are not great drafters or judges of talent IMO. It would be another disaster for poor Columbus. 

THAT is exactly why I hope for Bergie.

I liked the Kekaleinen hiring at the time. It seemed to represent a hiring from outside the circle of the usual, endlessly-recycled established hockey bosses.  However, it’s pretty tough to argue that he’s been a success.

That franchise does seem cursed. Although I sometimes hear nice things about Columbus as a city, nobody seems to want to play there, going back to Rich Nash, and when one does (Goudreau) it blows up in their face. It’s a bit like Calgary, only worse.

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I liked the Kekaleinen hiring at the time. It seemed to represent a hiring from outside the circle of the usual, endlessly-recycled established hockey bosses.  However, it’s pretty tough to argue that he’s been a success.

That franchise does seem cursed. Although I sometimes hear nice things about Columbus as a city, nobody seems to want to play there, going back to Rich Nash, and when one does (Goudreau) it blows up in their face. It’s a bit like Calgary, only worse.

It may just be an example of a "good hockey guy" not suited to being a GM.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I agree that "inter-generational" comparisons are difficult ... but @Prime Minister Koivu didn't say Goat or greatest, but most skilled ... as @Habs Fan in Edmonton said, and I agree, "What McDavid can do at high speed is unlike any other player I have seen" ... and I've been watching for over 50 years.

I agree that comparing players from different eras is futile. What I will say is that Mario Lemieux is the most talented player I have ever seen. He had everything. I don’t think he was a “greater player” than Gretzky, who was simply an offensive genius, or Orr, who transformed the game, but he was as complete a package as any player who has ever lived. 

To my mind, the real compliment to McDavid is that his talent is in the same category as those guys. If he wants to be remembered alongside them, though, he needs a Cup. Maybe unfair, but it’s a fact.

15 hours ago, Commandant said:

Im fairness, the Canucks are on a massive PDO bender so the other shoe is likely to drop at some point.

Absolutely correct, but I’m talking about this season. Instead of being ecstatic that they have a team that can go all the way, a critical mass of Canucks fans are hesitant to buy in - sure that a disastrous injury or a first-round collapse lies in wait. It’s the exact opposite of what would happen in Toronto, where they would be anointing this The Greatest Team of All Time. In February.

22 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I agree that comparing players from different eras is futile. What I will say is that Mario Lemieux is the most talented player I have ever seen. He had everything. I don’t think he was a “greater player” than Gretzky, who was simply an offensive genius, or Orr, who transformed the game, but he was as complete a package as any player who has ever lived. 

To my mind, the real compliment to McDavid is that his talent is in the same category as those guys. If he wants to be remembered alongside them, though, he needs a Cup. Maybe unfair, but it’s a fact.

Good points, Lemieux's reach, puck skills and smarts made him almost unstoppable. Gretzky's genius lay in his great puck skills and hockey IQ, he didn't have the hardest shot and there were faster skaters but he was a hockey genius. I remember Dave Semenko talked about playing with him and what he learned was "never assume he doesn't know where you are on the ice." He had eyes in the back of his head. 

I agree about Orr, almost hated him because he played for the Bruins but he could do it all and he was tough. 

McDavid needs to win a cup. Perhaps unfair but I agree. 

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Good points, Lemieux's reach, puck skills and smarts made him almost unstoppable. Gretzky's genius lay in his great puck skills and hockey IQ, he didn't have the hardest shot and there were faster skaters but he was a hockey genius. I remember Dave Semenko talked about playing with him and what he learned was "never assume he doesn't know where you are on the ice." He had eyes in the back of his head. 

I agree about Orr, almost hated him because he played for the Bruins but he could do it all and he was tough. 

McDavid needs to win a cup. Perhaps unfair but I agree. 

I don't throw the word "genius" around lightly. Hardly anyone is. Maybe Bob Dylan, in his realm. Maybe Steven Hawking, in his. And so on.

I truly believe Wayne Gretzky was a hockey genius. His mind just processed the game differently from anyone else, at a higher level no one else has ever attained. He did not have ANY of the attributes - speed, devastating shot, physical power - other great players have. He just had a hockey IQ that was off the chart. Genius is the only word for it.

• Upvote 1