2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

9 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apparently Columbus wants the Habs' permission to talk to Gorton ...

Not sure Gorton wants to be a GM but it would suck to lose him. He is already vice president so maybe he doesn’t want to be a GM anyway. 

I like what the Habs are building. 

31 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Apparently Columbus wants the Habs' permission to talk to Gorton ...

Interesting, Hughes is the guy I really don't want to lose. Hard to say how happy Gorton has been in Montreal or how involved he has been with the decision making. Columbus must think he may be interested if this is true. 

3 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Likely fair better than Galchenyuk is about only thing I’d bank on.

Once teams recognize him as equal threat to 14/22 it will be interesting to see how he does.

Confident he will still do well, but wonder if he will continue to get such clean looks as PK’s adapt, teams game plan for Their whole line as opposed to focused on 14/22.

Except the line is much better with him on it than without him.

And when he was taken off the line and played a few games with monahan before the trade, monahan's possession numbers went up.

14/22 are good but 20 makes them even better.

On everyone line hes played on since november, they are better with him than without him.

So yrah, not buying this 

21 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Except the line is much better with him on it than without him.

No question about that. I have really been impressed with his passing ability, seems to be able to find the open man easily and without hesitation. He can also shoot the puck pretty well.  He just needed to gain some confidence which is obviously happening. 

If other teams were game planning for the Canadiens they would have been focusing on the Suzuki line before anyway, don't think adding Slaf to the line will change anything for other teams. 

All 3 guys on this line have excellent passing and shooting ability which will make them a force and fun to watch. I think Caulfield's passing ability has always been under rated. 

1 hour ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Not sure Gorton wants to be a GM but it would suck to lose him. He is already vice president so maybe he doesn’t want to be a GM anyway. 

I like what the Habs are building. 

But what if Columbus offers up the President spot (with Davidson going to an advisory role)?  Then it's an upgrade (in title, at least) which might force Montreal's hand to say yes to an interview as generally, teams don't block people from getting promotions.  (Of course, the easy way around this is Molson gives up the President title but that'll never happen.)

Y’know, I was looking at Guhle’s totals this season - something I haven’t done in a while - I was a bit surprised. 14 points in 50 games. That’s much lower than I would have thought, based on ‘eye test,’ and actually a slight drop in PPG compared to his rookie season.

He’s 22. Still quite young, obviously. But - just to make conversation - is it possible that we’ve been overrating him? Most of us seem to think he is a potential top-pairing guy, but he’s on a 23-point pace in his second season and drawing, I assume, significant minutes. 🤔 Don’t come at me, I’m just asking.

27 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Y’know, I was looking at Guhle’s totals this season - something I haven’t done in a while - I was a bit surprised. 14 points in 50 games. That’s much lower than I would have thought, based on ‘eye test,’ and actually a slight drop in PPG compared to his rookie season.

He’s 22. Still quite young, obviously. But - just to make conversation - is it possible that we’ve been overrating him? Most of us seem to think he is a potential top-pairing guy, but he’s on a 23-point pace in his second season and drawing, I assume, significant minutes. 🤔 Don’t come at me, I’m just asking.

It's a fair question and I guess it depends on how much offensive upside you think he has. I think of a Guhle as a top 4, mobile, shut down type defenseman who will likely not get much PP time and will score maybe 30 points in a decent season. I don't think I have been over rating him. He is just 22 and playing on a team that's not an offensive powerhouse yet. I think more offense will come in time but I don't think he will ever be a 15 goal, 50 point guy. He did score almost a point a game his last year in junior but the bulk of that was on a stacked Edmonton Oil King team. 

I think Mailloux and Hutson have more offensive potential but not the shutdown ability Guhle has. Just my opinion. 

Just to continue with Mailloux, he has 33 points in his rookie season. That's only 1 point behind the highest scoring defenseman in the AHL. That's a pretty good rookie season and it was exactly the kind of year he needed, lots of ice time. I definitely see him as a future point man on the power play. 

47 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I've always thought of him as the first pairing guy as being the guy you want on the ice against the opponents #1 line. I think 30-35 points is his ceiling.  I think Hutson and Mailloux will be looked to provide the offence.

10 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

...He’s 22. Still quite young, obviously. But - just to make conversation - is it possible that we’ve been overrating him? Most of us seem to think he is a potential top-pairing guy, but he’s on a 23-point pace in his second season and drawing, I assume, significant minutes. 🤔 Don’t come at me, I’m just asking.

Of d-men, he is 131st in PP time/game dosent help his offense and no real #1 or #2 RH-d to pair with yet.

And him playing wrong side also not a long term solution, but good experience for him. 

Would guess once Reinbacher or Mailloux graduates and Savard is upgraded on perhaps, things hopefully improve for him.

But, I think safe to say, we shouldnt expect he will ever be a 60pt d-man, but he is playing pretty well?

It sounds like he is better thought of as an Erik Johnson *type*, in terms of offensive output. Maybe Tanev or even Boumeester (minus the super elegant skating) are other comparables.

That does reframe him a bit in my mind, since I was thinking he’d grow into a 40+ point type. 

This conception puts more pressure on Hutson, Mailloux, and perhaps Reinbacher to evolve into a bona-ride PP QB and offensive driver from the back end - and seems to me to push our window back a bit, potentially. After all, none of those three have played a single game in the bigs.

(The other idea is that we end up with a blueline that has a bunch of quality D who can move the puck and eat minutes, but no traditional “#1 stud” defenceman. Not sure what the precedent is for winning the Cup with that model). 

3 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

(The other idea is that we end up with a blueline that has a bunch of quality D who can move the puck and eat minutes, but no traditional “#1 stud” defenceman. Not sure what the precedent is for winning the Cup with that model). 

I think that's what they're heading for.  I could see a time when the top-used defender is around 22 minutes a night.  Some nights it's Guhle and Reinbacher as a shutdown pairing, others it might be the offensive guys with the team trailing and needing to come back.  But gone would be the days of someone like Matheson playing 26 minutes and the #6 guy playing half of that; there would be a lot more balance in the distribution of minutes.  Not a lot of teams try that but I can certainly see the upside of it.

10 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Just to continue with Mailloux, he has 33 points in his rookie season. That's only 1 point behind the highest scoring defenseman in the AHL. That's a pretty good rookie season and it was exactly the kind of year he needed, lots of ice time. I definitely see him as a future point man on the power play. 

It is an exceptional rookie season for offence, but that was never my concern with regard to Mailloux ... since it was his defensive game that needed/needs development I hope they don't rush him, nor fans want them to do (NOT saying you suggested that), based on his offence.

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

It is an exceptional rookie season for offence, but that was never my concern with regard to Mailloux ... since it was his defensive game that needed/needs development I hope they don't rush him, nor fans want them to do (NOT saying you suggested that), based on his offence.

Agreed, his offence was never my concern either but it's never guaranteed that success in junior will translate to the next level so it's great to see him have such a good year in the AHL.  His passing and shooting skills are elite, I think better than any young defenseman they have. 

He does need work on his defensive game like almost any 20 year old defenseman. I still see Guhle and Kovacevic get beaten badly 1 on 1 sometimes so he is not the only one. All in all it's been an excellent year of progression for him. Hopefully more to come. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DON said:

Excellent interview, he seems to be maturing well, like the fact he is learning French. I think he and Arber can be a great pairing for a long time. 

9 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I think that's what they're heading for.  I could see a time when the top-used defender is around 22 minutes a night.  Some nights it's Guhle and Reinbacher as a shutdown pairing, others it might be the offensive guys with the team trailing and needing to come back.  But gone would be the days of someone like Matheson playing 26 minutes and the #6 guy playing half of that; there would be a lot more balance in the distribution of minutes.  Not a lot of teams try that but I can certainly see the upside of it.

Or Guhle plays with Mailloux

And Hutson plays with Reinbacher

Leaving one shutdown D and one offensive d on each.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Or Guhle plays with Mailloux

And Hutson plays with Reinbacher

Leaving one shutdown D and one offensive d on each.

And "mix&match" if necessary due to circumstances (i.e., need to "shutdown" at end of game or because a goal is needed).

The Tradables?:devil:

Allen, Primeau

Barron, Savard, Harris, Kovacevic

Anderson, Armia, Ylonen, Pezzetta, Pearson, Evans

• Like 1