2023-24 Montreal Canadiens Discussion Thread

GHT120

On 12/7/2023 at 8:29 AM, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

What bugs me is that injuries have made it harder to really assess what we have. The most important variable by far is Dach - is he really a sure-fire #1A centreman? We talk like he is, but can’t know for sure because he suffered massive injuries in both his seasons with us.

I absolutely agree with this comment. Dach is such a key to the future. It absolutely sucked when he went down. Not knowing if he will be a sure fire #1A or #1B center makes other decisions more difficult. Do we draft another center this year if we get another high pick? I think we need a winger more but we just don't know for sure how good Dach will be or if he can stay injury free. 

A couple other thoughts; Ylonen has really played well, excellent skater and puck handler, seems to be working hard. I think he is a keeper. Primeau has also played well lately. I think Allen has to be the odd guy out if there is any kind of decent trade out there plus he is a UFA coming up.  Also Slaf has looked really confident, it would be nice to see him get rewarded with some points, keep him with Suzuzki/Caulfield, the tools and attitude are there. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I absolutely agree with this comment. Dach is such a key to the future. It absolutely sucked when he went down. Not knowing if he will be a sure fire #1A or #1B center makes other decisions more difficult. Do we draft another center this year if we get another high pick? I think we need a winger more but we just don't know for sure how good Dach will be or if he can stay injury free. 

A couple other thoughts; Ylonen has really played well, excellent skater and puck handler, seems to be working hard. I think he is a keeper. Primeau has also played well lately. I think Allen has to be the odd guy out if there is any kind of decent trade out there plus he is a UFA coming up.  Also Slaf has looked really confident, it would be nice to see him get rewarded with some points, keep him with Suzuzki/Caulfield, the tools and attitude are there. 

Slaf is playing like he belongs on the first line. I agree, keep him there. In fact, with Caufield struggling to score, you can view Slaf (playing as he is at present) as significant "value added" to that line.

Ylonen - he may be no more than a "tweener," but like you, I have a good feeling about him. He seems like a smart cookie who may grow into a role as a shifty 3rd-line/2nd line FW.

I don't want to be premature, but it does seem that, for all my hand-wringing, this management group is actually developing its young talent properly. The young D are coming along. Slaf has finally started to show why he was drafted where he was. Like Dach, Newhook was growing into his role before (sigh) suffering disastrous injury. Even Primeau, as you say, is surpassing expectations. 

10 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't want to be premature, but it does seem that, for all my hand-wringing, this management group is actually developing its young talent properly. The young D are coming along. Slaf has finally started to show why he was drafted where he was. Like Dach, Newhook was growing into his role before (sigh) suffering disastrous injury. Even Primeau, as you say, is surpassing expectations. 

I agree. If they win tonight they are just 2 points out of a playoff spot. Now I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year and I didn't expect them to when the season began BUT if you throw a healthy Dach and Newhook into this lineup then they could possibly be in contention for a wild card spot for a good chunk of the season. The young D are coming along. Progress is definitely being made. I am optimistic, just no more injuries please. 

30 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I agree. If they win tonight they are just 2 points out of a playoff spot. Now I don't expect them to make the playoffs this year and I didn't expect them to when the season began BUT if you throw a healthy Dach and Newhook into this lineup then they could possibly be in contention for a wild card spot for a good chunk of the season. The young D are coming along. Progress is definitely being made. I am optimistic, just no more injuries please. 

I don't think it's beyond question that, next season, with a healthy Dach and Newhook, Slaf emerging as a serious force, and guys like Guhle being more seasoned, the Habs take a jump. It may not happen and injuries are a huge X-factor, but I can see us becoming one of the league's "surprises" next year.

After 28 games, the Habs are growing – Hab At Her

"The top four picks in that draft all took different developmental pathways. Wright was returned to the OHL for another season, and is now in the American Hockey League. Cooley went the College Hockey route for a year before joining the Arizona Coyotes. Simon Nemec went straight to the AHL. Of course, Slafkovsky has been developing in Montreal. All perfectly acceptable developmental pathways, and all appear to be on their way to successful NHL careers."

25 minutes ago, DON said:

Could have been Jesse Puljujärvi for the cost of a PTO.

If they want to leave the youngsters in Laval, I wonder whether this could motivate Hughes to pull the string on a goalie or defenceman trade.

3 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I wonder whether this could motivate Hughes to pull the string on a goalie or defenceman trade.

Dont think a Pearson injury will spur anything but a call up from Laval.

Got feeling, Habs will ride it out for near future & only will be dealing away at near deadline for picks.

And a trade for a young goalie or young RH d-man would be more likely in off-season.

BUT, what the hell do i know.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Dont think a Pearson injury will spur anything but a call up from Laval.

Got feeling, Habs will ride it out for near future & only will be dealing away at near deadline for picks.

And a trade for a young goalie or young RH d-man would be more likely in off-season.

BUT, what the hell do i know.

I was referring to trading Allen or Primeau ... or ... whatever young defenceman they deem as surplus to future plans ... not trading for a young goalie or young RHD.

His AAV is $2.625M (Detroit retained 50% of the full $5.25M when he was traded to STL).

52 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

His AAV is $2.625M (Detroit retained 50% of the full $5.25M when he was traded to STL).

I’m somewhat tempted. 

Only because of our injuries but I’m tempted 

Edit

I looked at his stats and no longer tempted. I thought he was a solid 50 point guy for most of his career and he isn’t 

Canuck Boeser just got his 19-20-21st goals yesterday, just for comparison.

God damn the Habs need more skill in their top six and the answer aint in the farm system yet neither.:(

"Sean Monahan and Nick Suzuki are tied for the team lead with eight goals each."

Cowan: Jake Allen is all class as the Canadiens juggle three goalies | Montreal Gazette

On 12/12/2023 at 10:41 AM, GHT120 said:

Could have been Jesse Puljujärvi for the cost of a PTO.

If they want to leave the youngsters in Laval, I wonder whether this could motivate Hughes to pull the string on a goalie or defenceman trade.

Can a PTO play regular season games? I didnt think they could unless signed.  The PTO is just for practice and evaluating if you want to sign him at this point (and preseason of course)

13 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Can a PTO play regular season games? I didnt think they could unless signed.  The PTO is just for practice and evaluating if you want to sign him at this point (and preseason of course)

You are correct ... a PTO lets you make an assessment of whether to sign a player ... without committing money or a contract slot ... but it could have been a means to assess a possible replacement for injured players without having to perhaps rush youngsters to the NHL, give up assets in a trade or claim a bad contract on waivers.

Heineman recalled, Pearson placed on IR  | Montréal Canadiens (nhl.com)

Well, hope the young fella can show he belongs. 

Canadiens recall Emil Heineman, place Tanner Pearson on IR - Habs Eyes on the Prize

"Heineman, for his part, has been solid in limited action with the Laval Rocket, putting up a goal and three assists over seven games of action. No official word has been given as of yet, but it would stand to reason that he’ll suit up against the Penguins tonight."

8 minutes ago, DON said:

How many of the 6 points will they get this week?

https://www.habsworld.net/2023/12/habs-weekly-a-metropolitan-split/

2 out of 6. Allen loses tonight, and they will in Chicago. MIN-MTL is 50-50, but given how well MIN are playing now I think Habs lose that one

Unless Primeau steals a game... I expect Montembeault to play and win in CHI.

Just saw this from RDS:

After checking the Senator's coaches records, I took a peek at Martin St-Louis' (Left) vs Ducharme (Right). RDS' question is "How do you evaluate MSL's performance ehind the bench?":

image.png