GAME#33 Habs vs Hawks 8:30pm Friday Dec 22 2023

DON

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

5 of 6! Don’t forget the win in the ‘peg!

Exactly, I thought this might be the road trip where they start to fall out of the race for a wildcard spot but the kids are playing well and with some confidence, bodes well for the future. I think St. Louis is a confidence builder which is exactly what the young kids need (not a dinosaur like Therrien as hab29RETIRED commented on). 

I hope they can get a high end forward from the next draft but they may not be drafting as high as I originally thought.  

1 hour ago, Peter Puck said:

If goalies are not that hard to find, why are there about 5 teams desperately looking for one?

I think desperately is a strong word.  By all accounts I've read, Montreal hasn't really received any offer on any of their goalies as of yet, just teams inquiring about them.  It's understandable for Edmonton, Toronto and Ottawa as they are under a cap crunch, but for someone like Carolina or New Jersey they have the cap space or LTIR to get Allen without much cap shenanigans. 

12 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Goalies are not hard to find. Consistent, dependable goalies are. 

Just ask the Leafs about that... that 9 goal Sabre game this week must of made many Habs fans chuckle.:D

35 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Goalies are not hard to find. Consistent, dependable goalies are. 

Well that's true about all positions.  It's very easy to acquire players who are neither consistent nor dependable.  

4 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

If goalies are not that hard to find, why are there about 5 teams desperately looking for one?

Yup what was true 10.years ago about nhl caliber backup goalies being a dime a dozen is no longer true.  I think its a few things 

1 shooters are better.  The advancement in skills coaches for skaters has led to more offensive skill.

2 teams are asking goalies to be 1a/1b and not pure backups.  Leads to more games and you can't just cherry pick playing the weakest teams.

6 hours ago, Commandant said:

Teams arent giving up a 1st rounder cause of who his dad is.  Thats crazy talk.

Well, I've definitely heard there are at least 2 teams interested in him because his last name is Primeau.  Yes, they wont get a 1st just because on his last name, but if he is good enough to fetch a 2nd from most teams then 1 of those 2 teams might be willing to cough up a 1st.  Plus, there could easily be more people involved in the trade than just Primeau.  ex:  if most teams would pay a 2nd, and 1 of those 2 teams also needs dmen, the Habs could throw in some of their decent AHLers that are lower in their NHL depth chart to increase the pic they get in return.  The same scenario might happen to get a 2nd for him.  

18 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Well, I've definitely heard there are at least 2 teams interested in him because his last name is Primeau.  Yes, they wont get a 1st just because on his last name, but if he is good enough to fetch a 2nd from most teams then 1 of those 2 teams might be willing to cough up a 1st.  Plus, there could easily be more people involved in the trade than just Primeau.  ex:  if most teams would pay a 2nd, and 1 of those 2 teams also needs dmen, the Habs could throw in some of their decent AHLers that are lower in their NHL depth chart to increase the pic they get in return.  The same scenario might happen to get a 2nd for him.  

Going into this year I thought Primeau's market value was low. He has played well this year though (small sample size) but I still think he would get no more than maybe a 3rd. I am just guessing. I think if Hughes could get a 2nd he would jump all over it. 

40 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Going into this year I thought Primeau's market value was low. He has played well this year though (small sample size) but I still think he would get no more than maybe a 3rd. I am just guessing. I think if Hughes could get a 2nd he would jump all over it. 

A second would be a steal IMO.

9 hours ago, Peter Puck said:

Valid rebuttal. I suppose as Commandant says, the 1a, 1b system takes some starters from the overall pool. So there are less starters to go around. I retract my statement.  Haha. Having said that, if they are that desperate,  why hasn't Allen been traded? He's a 1b on a lot of teams.

4 hours ago, BCHabnut said:

Valid rebuttal. I suppose as Commandant says, the 1a, 1b system takes some starters from the overall pool. So there are less starters to go around. I retract my statement.  Haha. Having said that, if they are that desperate,  why hasn't Allen been traded? He's a 1b on a lot of teams.

Montreal wouldnt put Primeau on waivers cause they dont want to give away a goalie.  So someone has to meet HuGo's price.

If you’re a contender or wanna-be looking to stabilize your G, you want Allen, but worry about the cap space.

If you’re an organization that needs a plausible backup, you maybe want Primeau, but probably aren’t convinced he’s better than some kid you have in your own system 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1