2024 NHL Entry Draft

45 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Ottawa pulls out the 5-3 victory. 

That's awesome, they will stay ahead of the Habs even if the Habs win which they likely will. Now hopefully the Oilers will be real cranky going into Winnipeg on Tuesday night. 

Wheeler has 11 prospects in his "tier 2", ranked from 2 to 12, seems like there are many options at a fairly similar level once you get past Celebrini.

I'm not going to get excited about any prospects (unless the Habs win the lottery) until they actually make the picks since we really don't know what Hughes will do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Wheeler has 11 prospects in his "tier 2", ranked from 2 to 12, seems like there are many options at a fairly similar level once you get past Celebrini.

Yes, is going to be very hard to predict and ranking are all over the map after 1st.

I'm not going to get excited about any prospects

Why not, dosent cost anything?

18 minutes ago, DON said:

I'm not going to get excited about any prospects

Why not, dosent cost anything?

Well, there is that. 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I'm not going to get excited about any prospects (unless the Habs win the lottery) until they actually make the picks since we really don't know what Hughes will do.

It's what fans (fanatics) do, we speculate and get excited about who the Habs may or may not draft then we may or may not get excited about who they actually do draft. What excitement would there be right now if we couldn't get a little excited about the upcoming draft?  The Habs aren't making the playoffs so there is no cup run to get excited about. 

I'm quite OK with other people being excited about it now, and I'll get excited about it myself come draft day. But, for now, I'm not going to invest a ton of time learning about prospects that may never pull on the CH sweater. That's just me. 🙂

And I'm still keenly following all our prospects, and especially those that might be joining the team for the final games of the season. That's excitement enough for me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

I'm quite OK with other people being excited about it now, and I'll get excited about it myself come draft day. But, for now, I'm not going to invest a ton of time learning about prospects that may never pull on the CH sweater. That's just me. 🙂

And I'm still keenly following all our prospects, and especially those that might be joining the team for the final games of the season. That's excitement enough for me!

That is a perfectly reasonable, rational and logical answer. I (and perhaps others) will get excited ahead of time for you and will speculate like crazy on who the Habs will/should draft. You can put your feet up and relax. You just might be the smart one here. LOL

6 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Winnipeg lost their last 10 games, slipped out of a playoff spot, won the draft lottery, moved up 10 spots and then we draft 6 and 7?  Is that too much to hope for? 

Not if you also buy lottery tickets.

12 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Wouldn't it be nice if Winnipeg lost their last 10 games, slipped out of a playoff spot, won the draft lottery, moved up 10 spots and then we draft 6 and 7?  Is that too much to hope for? 

It'd be nice but it'd also use one of the allowable two lottery advancement slots.  Teams are only allowed to move up I think twice in a five-year period now; would Montreal want one of them to happen without moving into the top two?  Considering the jump, I think they would but it's a factor to consider.

36 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It'd be nice but it'd also use one of the allowable two lottery advancement slots.  Teams are only allowed to move up I think twice in a five-year period now; would Montreal want one of them to happen without moving into the top two?  Considering the jump, I think they would but it's a factor to consider.

It's a little dissapointing that the two lottery advancement slots are not limited to your own pick.

4 hours ago, dlbalr said:

How does that work exactly because I haven't seen any particulars on that rule that specifies what happens when a pick is traded.  Technically, it is the Jets pick but the Habs are in control of it.  If the Jets pick wins the lottery wouldn't that mean it takes up 1 of the Jets 2 possible wins in 5 years?  

6 hours ago, dlbalr said:

They most certainly would take it but the odds of Winnipeg missing the playoffs are incredibly low. I was just dreaming a bit. 

2 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

How does that work exactly because I haven't seen any particulars on that rule that specifies what happens when a pick is traded.  Technically, it is the Jets pick but the Habs are in control of it.  If the Jets pick wins the lottery wouldn't that mean it takes up 1 of the Jets 2 possible wins in 5 years? 

I'd have a hard time thinking they'd penalize a team who doesn't have their own draft pick further by counting it as one of the two improvements for the team who didn't have it.  That's just rubbing it in.  That said, I don't think I've seen the wording of the rule either so I suppose I can't be sure on that one.

8 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I'd have a hard time thinking they'd penalize a team who doesn't have their own draft pick further by counting it as one of the two improvements for the team who didn't have it.  That's just rubbing it in.  That said, I don't think I've seen the wording of the rule either so I suppose I can't be sure on that one.

My  GUESS  is that with a trade involving an unconditional pick it would count against the Habs as the pick transferred when the trade was registered ... but if the Habs had the option of the Jets' 2024 or 2025 pick it might not as the pick might still "legally" be Winnipeg's until the Habs make the decision to use it and likely therefore it still belonged to Winnipeg at the time of the lottery.

Criag's list is up. Surprised at Catton at 15 but again the rankings have been all over the place. Has Dickinson, Helenius and Eiserman at 6,7 and 8 which is likely where the Habs draft. 

Craig’s List: Russian winger Ivan Demidov soars to No. 2 behind Macklin Celebrini | TSN

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Criag's list is up. Surprised at Catton at 15 but again the rankings have been all over the place. Has Dickinson, Helenius and Eiserman at 6, 7 and 8 which is likely where the Habs draft. 

Craig’s List: Russian winger Ivan Demidov soars to No. 2 behind Macklin Celebrini | TSN

If they continue to rack up points, 9th / 10th might not be entirely out of the question.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

If they continue to rack up points, 9th / 10th might not be entirely out of the question.

That is true. After this 3 game winning streak they are not far behind, Seattle and Calgary. 

At least Ottawa won and Winnipeg lost. Now if Winnipeg goes out in the 1st 2 rounds then that pick might be half decent. Their 1st round matchup will be really tough as it doesn't look like they win the division now. 

On 3/27/2024 at 8:04 PM, dlbalr said:

I think you are right and I did actually look up and I was surprised because the wording of it isn't overly specific.  It says:  "no team can".  I interpret that to mean whoever is in control of the pic - but I could be wrong because the wording is vague.  At 1st I wasn't sure because they definitely do track where a pick originated.   I'm pretty the ball they use in the lottery is the original teams ball. 

I was hoping there could be a crazy long shot scenario of the Habs winning with 2 picks that aren't theirs along with winning with their own.  Imagine how crazy that would be. 

The Habs haven't used up any of their 2 move ups in 5 years.  The legalese on that rule is the moving up.  The Habs were last place and got 1st overall so they didnt move up at all when they got Slaf.  I swear I have previously read the wording of that rule and it was linked to the 1st and 2nd OA picks, but apparently it ins't anymore.  No team is allowed to move up more than twice in 5 years.  

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

The Habs haven't used up any of their 2 move ups in 5 years.  The legalese on that rule is the moving up.  The Habs were last place and got 1st overall so they didnt move up at all when they got Slaf.  I swear I have previously read the wording of that rule and it was linked to the 1st and 2nd OA picks, but apparently it ins't anymore.  No team is allowed to move up more than twice in 5 years.  

Two Top 7-8 picks, although a Powerball-ish longshot, could be worth a 5-year "ban" to accelerate the rebuild ... two "birds in the hand" are better than two future, potential "lottery wins in the bush".