2024 NHL Entry Draft

7 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And he's not on a top team, either.

Averaging his Elite Prospects rankings (throwing out high/low and Central Scouting) he seems like a consensus 8th overall pick.

On 3/30/2024 at 3:08 PM, GHT120 said:

Averaging his Elite Prospects rankings (throwing out high/low and Central Scouting) he seems like a consensus 8th overall pick.

Helenius will get a lot of eyes on him at the U18's coming up in Finland. How he performs there will likely play a big factor in his final draft rankings by teams.  

1 hour ago, Commandant said:

Quinn Hughes went 7th and i told you all he was the guy to pick at 3... just saying.

Commandant, who do you like in the 23-25 range should Montreal keep the Winnipeg pick and that's where it falls?

I would like to see Montreal trade up using that pick as part of a package as the "consensus" seems to be that the top 13 or 14 are really strong this year. Your thoughts on that?  Thanks 

8 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Commandant, who do you like in the 23-25 range should Montreal keep the Winnipeg pick and that's where it falls?

I would like to see Montreal trade up using that pick as part of a package as the "consensus" seems to be that the top 13 or 14 are really strong this year. Your thoughts on that?  Thanks 

I think it’s more likely we package out the first and D prospects for help on the blue line. Ideally, I’d love to see us win the lottery AND move up for another top 10 pick, but than I’ve always been told I’m greedy😁

3 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I think it’s more likely we package out the first and D prospects for help on the blue line.

Really? Do you think Hughes has already decided that between Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux he can't come up with a first pairing?

10 hours ago, tomh009 said:

Really? Do you think Hughes has already decided that between Guhle, Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux he can't come up with a first pairing?

I don't know ... but it would be less about whether they can "come up with a first pairing" and more about having an elite first pairing ... OR ... hab29RETIRED really meant up-front.

28 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I don't know ... but it would be less about whether they can "come up with a first pairing" and more about having an elite first pairing ... OR ... hab29RETIRED really meant up-front.

I tend to agree, there is an opportunity to draft an elite pairing defensemen if the forward they want are gone by the time they draft at likely 6, or 7.  I think of a guy like Dickinson as "Guhle plus" although many would argue we are strong already at LD.  I would rather they get the forward they want but can you imagine a LD for the next 10-12 years of Dickinson, Guhle and Xhekaj? That would be phenomenal. They can trade the other LD prospects to fill in gaps. 

On 4/1/2024 at 10:43 AM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I think its more likely that pick is used in a dach/newhook style trade.  Probably for a winger to play with Dach/Newhook

• Upvote 1

On 4/1/2024 at 8:39 PM, tomh009 said:

Sorry brain fart. Meant to say we package our our pick and D prospects for front line forwards. We need some bonafide wingers for Dach.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Yes. That is what I meant. I do think we make another move at the draft for another forward.

I do hope the go with the BPA with our first pick though, rather than draft by need. If the top 2-3 forwards are gone (and I'm including Celebrini), and Parekh is available, I'd go after him. He looks a lot like Hughes/Makar. And a one two punch where we can roll out Hutson (assuming he becomes the type of guy he has been up to now) and Parekh, would go along ways in generating offence.

15 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I tend to agree, there is an opportunity to draft an elite pairing defensemen if the forward they want are gone by the time they draft at likely 6, or 7.  I think of a guy like Dickinson as "Guhle plus" although many would argue we are strong already at LD.  I would rather they get the forward they want but can you imagine a LD for the next 10-12 years of Dickinson, Guhle and Xhekaj? That would be phenomenal. They can trade the other LD prospects to fill in gaps. 

I'm hoping with get lottery luck and get one of the two 3 forwards, but if we don't get them, the D i'd want to pick up is  Parekh.

21 hours ago, Commandant said:

I think its more likely that pick is used in a dach/newhook style trade.  Probably for a winger to play with Dach/Newhook

Perhaps, not sure who they would target. I would like to see them move up in the draft using that pick and other assets but that rarely happens. 

44 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Perhaps, not sure who they would target. I would like to see them move up in the draft using that pick and other assets but that rarely happens. 

At this point in the season we didnt think they would target either Dach or Newhook.  Thats the thing, the pool of potential players via trade is large.

I just look at it this way... HuGo know that they need anothet top 6 forward.  If its clear to us, it is of course clear to them.  Then i look at the UFA list and there arent many good options there.  So i think they are going to try and make a trade for what they need.

39 minutes ago, Commandant said:

At this point in the season we didnt think they would target either Dach or Newhook.  Thats the thing, the pool of potential players via trade is large.

I just look at it this way... HuGo know that they need anothet top 6 forward.  If its clear to us, it is of course clear to them.  Then i look at the UFA list and there arent many good options there.  So i think they are going to try and make a trade for what they need.

Agree on those points. The Dach and Newhook trades caught everyone by surprise. We certainly need help up front, nobody here would argue that. 

Interesting, I really think Iginla will go higher than a lot of people think. 

The Canadian has already met Tij Iginla four times, according to Stéphane Gonzalez - Dose.ca

Again, my dream is that we are able to get Lindstrom/Demidov with our 1st pick and trade the Winnipeg pick plus, plus  to move up and get Iginla. 

2 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Wouldnt be surprised if Calgary drafts Iginla.

isn’t that the Hab’s pick? Or did we get their Boston pick?

I haven’t checked … 

54 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

isn’t that the Hab’s pick? Or did we get their Boston pick?

I haven’t checked … 

2024 Bruins pick is with the Sens (via Detroit) ... as for the Flames 2024 pick

image.png

https://prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Future/Flames.htm

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

Wouldnt be surprised if Calgary drafts Iginla.

I wouldn't be surprised either, assuming he is still available. Iginla has been one of the fastest risers in the draft. 

Habs are only 3 points behind the Flames although Calgary has one of the easiest remaining schedules but that doesn't always mean anything. 

Regarding the Flames pick it has become simpler to figure out as the Flames pick won't be 20-32 this year and the Panthers 2024 1st rounder will transfer to Philly this year. Basically for next year it comes down to the following:

1) if the Calgary and Florida picks are both outside the top 10 then we get the better of the picks

2) if Calgary's pick is inside the top 10 but Florida's is not then we get the Florida pick

Ideally they both tank next year. 

• Like 1