2024 NHL Entry Draft

18 minutes ago, DON said:

Safe to say Eiserman will always have more goals than assists and worry is that when aint scoring, he wont bring much to table (Hoffman i keep thinking)

image.png

I don't think the Habs will take Eiserman with their 1st pick however he does have elite goal scoring skills and is one of the youngest guys in the draft so he has time to mature. If he falls much then maybe you try and trade up to take him although that is tough to do. 

31 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

We need another high pick so we can grab one of those exciting forwards too

Should only cost CC and Mailloux ... 😉

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Should only cost CC and Mailloux ... 😉

Cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of move 🤔

Is it possible to turn our LD players and the Winnipeg and or Calgary pick into a top 12 pick? 

I have no idea but I hope so 

6 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Cutting off your nose to spite your face kind of move 🤔

Is it possible to turn our LD players and the Winnipeg and or Calgary pick into a top 12 pick? 

If it was easy it would happen more often ... I was being somewhat sarcastic including CC ... but I expect It would take Winnipeg's pick and Mailloux to get teams to listen ... I don't expect Harris or Struble, or even Xhekaj, with the Jets pick are likely to get a Top 10-12 pick. 

12 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

It's possible but unlikely. Looking at the teams drafting in the top 12, I don't see any of them wanting to give up their pick unless it's an overpay. Unless one of them really likes a Harris or a Struble and we throw in the Winnipeg pick and a couple seconds. 

The Calgary pick next year could be real interesting or not.  Hopefully Calgary is good enough to just finish outside the top 10 or we can dream and hope Florida has the year from hell next year. 

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

If it was easy it would happen more often ... I was being somewhat sarcastic including CC ... but I expect It would take Winnipeg's pick and Mailloux to get teams to listen ... I don't expect Harris or Struble, or even Xhekaj, with the Jets pick are likely to get a Top 10-12 pick. 

I agree. I do think throwing in Xhekaj would certainly get teams attention much much more than Struble or Harris but I don't think Arber is going anywhere.  It would take Mailloux and Winnipeg's 1st to get teams to listen. Mailloux certainly has value. 

Le top 15 de Bob McKenzie de ce matin:

1-M.Celebrini
2-I.Demidov
3-A.Silayev
4-A.Levshunov
5-C.Lindstrom
6-S.Dickinson
7-Z.Parekh
8-Z.Buium
9-K.Helenius
10-T.Iginla
11-B.Catton
12-C.Yaremchuk
13-C.Eiserman
14-B.Sennecke
15-T.Connelly

Here is the complete article 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/bob-mckenzie-s-nhl-draft-ranking-an-unpredictable-ride-after-macklin-celebrini-1.2116004

Interesting comments from Mckenzie. 

"The lack of clear consensus beyond Celebrini — from No. 2 through to No. 10 and beyond — would be unprecedented. I’ve been doing draft rankings like this one for more than 35 years, and I don’t recall a year where the Top 10 is such a hodgepodge of opinion."

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Here is the complete article 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/bob-mckenzie-s-nhl-draft-ranking-an-unpredictable-ride-after-macklin-celebrini-1.2116004

"The lack of clear consensus beyond Celebrini — from No. 2 through to No. 10 and beyond — would be unprecedented. I’ve been doing draft rankings like this one for more than 35 years, and I don’t recall a year where the Top 10 is such a hodgepodge of opinion."

Is there a world where HuGo trade down?

Unless we win the lottery tomorrow 🎉🎉🎉🎉

5 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I was thinking the same thing. If there ever was a draft where trading down might make sense it might be this draft since  it is so up in the air after Celebrini. I guess it would depend on the sweetener somebody offered you. 

14 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

6 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I was thinking the same thing. If there ever was a draft where trading down might make sense it might be this draft since  it is so up in the air after Celebrini. I guess it would depend on the sweetener somebody offered you. 

Because of the lack of 2-10 consensus, it would I-M-O have to be a "when the Habs go on the clock" deal in case the players the Habs value most are quickly coming off the board.

28 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

And yet, the "experts" commentating on the draft will be amazed that someone slipped to (for example) #7 because THEIR ranking is obviously the one that is correct.

2 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

And yet, the "experts" commentating on the draft will be amazed that someone slipped to (for example) #7 because THEIR ranking is obviously the one that is correct.

Of course on draft day commentators have to find a story, that's the entertainment business and it will always be like this. The "Nail or Mikhail" draft was a good one, both busts. 

I just think this draft will one of the most interesting because of the divergence of opinion.  As Bob says, he hasn't seen anything like it in 35 years. 

Because of the lack of 2-10 consensus, it would I-M-O have to be a "when the Habs go on the clock" deal in case the players the Habs value most are quickly coming off the board.

Agreed, it would be a hard deal to make ahead of time since you don't know who is available when you are going to draft as teams guard these secrets with their life. A deal would have to made quickly which makes it harder to accomplish. 

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Agreed, it would be a hard deal to make ahead of time since you don't know who is available when you are going to draft as teams guard these secrets with their life. A deal would have to made quickly which makes it harder to accomplish. 

I expect it could/would be worked out in advance, but conditional on whether the Habs want to make the pick or the trade.

I expect it could/would be worked out in advance, but conditional on whether the Habs want to make the pick or the trade.

Yes, you would have to do some advance work with the deal conditional on who is available. 

I think San Jose is in a great position with 2 picks in the top 14 but they need the help. 

5 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Yes, you would have to do some advance work with the deal conditional on who is available. 

I think San Jose is in a great position with 2 picks in the top 14 but they need the help. 

Depends on how deep the Habs believe the draft is ... if they, for example, rate 8-11 players as desirable then trading down to #14 is quite a risk that one will still be available ... depending on what else SJS (in this hypothetical) offer. 

5 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

Depends on how deep the Habs believe the draft is ... if they, for example, rate 8-11 players as desirable then trading down to #14 is quite a risk that one will still be available ... depending on what else SJS (in this hypothetical) offer. 

It certainly depends on how deep you think the draft will be. Not suggesting they trade down to 14, just saying San Jose is in a very desirable position in this draft. It sucks for Pittsburgh as this is their pick. 

Here is a hypothetical trade down. Right now Calgary is at #9 and they really want Tij Iginla. They are concerned he might be gone at #9. They want to switch with Montreal who is at #5. 

Kent Hughes says sure. In return I want you to take any conditions off the 1st round pick next year (ie. They get Calgary's pick no matter where it lands). 

Do you make this trade if you are Montreal?  You could win big next year or gain nothing. If Calgary is outside the top 10 then Montreal would likely have received that pick anyway.  If Calgary is bottom 10 then yippee!!

Do you make this trade if you are Calgary?  You could lose big next year (if you are bottom 10) or lose nothing if outside the top 10. 

Odds are Habs pick 5 to 7, unless Lottery win, and pick 1 or 2.

For now , assuming 5 to 7. A draft rich in D. 

One point not brought up. I hope the draft team looks forward a year or 2 or longer to look at depth of available players and POSITIONS.

2023 was weighted more on forwards in the top tier of prospects.

2024 appears to be D top heavy.

I hope Hughes and Company took that into account.

Example: instead of Reinbacher in 2023. Pick one of the Forwards like Ryan Leonard. ( Yes I am know, Michkov ...) Etc .. ( would Reinbacher even be top 10 in 2024? )

In 2024, pick one of the Defense prospects.

Of course this all changes if lottery win, lands them Celebrini.

But hoping , this variable is taken into account, given at times the unpredictable nature of how prospects turn out 

But brings another factor to mitigate and selecting taking into account immediate future years. As in this case 2023/2024 as a whole. Surely they would have scouting reports on the 16/17 yr olds with the 17/18 year olds. 1 year out 

3 in 29 times it has happened:pray:;

Canadiens hope luck in on their side at Tuesday's NHL Draft Lottery | Montreal Gazette

"The NHL introduced the draft lottery in 1995. In the first 29 years of the lottery, the team with the best odds has won the No. 1 pick 11 times. ...

Three times, the team with the fifth-best odds of winning the draft lottery (the Canadiens’ position this season) have won the No. 1 pick. Those three teams were the New York Islanders, who selected goalie Rick DiPietro in 2000; the Blackhawks, who picked Patrick Kane in 2007; and the New Jersey Devils, who drafted Nico Hischier in 2017."

1 minute ago, DON said:

Canadiens hope luck in on their side at Tuesday's NHL Draft Lottery | Montreal Gazette

"The NHL introduced the draft lottery in 1995. In the first 29 years of the lottery, the team with the best odds has won the No. 1 pick 11 times. Last season, the Blackhawks had the third-best odds (11.5 per cent) and won the lottery, selecting Connor Bedard with the No. 1 pick. Bedard had 22-39-61 totals in 68 games this season, missing 14 games because of a fractured jaw.

Three times, the team with the fifth-best odds of winning the draft lottery (the Canadiens’ position this season) have won the No. 1 pick. Those three teams were the New York Islanders, who selected goalie Rick DiPietro in 2000; the Blackhawks, who picked Patrick Kane in 2007; and the New Jersey Devils, who drafted Nico Hischier in 2017."

how about the second lottery draft? What are the stats on that?

7 hours ago, HabsWEST said:

But brings another factor to mitigate and selecting taking into account immediate future years. As in this case 2023/2024 as a whole. Surely they would have scouting reports on the 16/17 yr olds with the 17/18 year olds. 1 year out 

I imagine the Hab scouts keep tabs on young top prospects in prep academies, rookies in CHL, U-16, etc and lots of youth tournaments.

Last year it was noted, will be more high quality d-men in the 2024 draft and am sure Mgmt knew this. 

But; picking by position might not be best way to go with high school kids, to then be hedging bets on next year's draft 16 yr olds.:spamafote:

7 hours ago, HabsWEST said:

I hope Hughes and Company took that into account.

Habs were FIVE points away (Dach injury?) from finishing 10th (pre-lottery) and not likely (per projections/expectations) having a sniff of the top defencemen ... my point being that unless you feel you are a guaranteed bottom 5 team for the next season you can't plan a current draft based on what players are available next year.

• Upvote 1

this post was funny, reminds me how I felt in the last few years

2017: Poehling #25

2018: KK #3

2019: Caufield #15

2020: Guhle #16

2021: Mailloux #31 -> MB fired

2022: Slafkovsky #1

2023: Reinbacher #5