2024 NHL Entry Draft

I would bet the NYI are the ones who contacted the Hawks for this trade  for "quantity over quality". 

Hawks agreed to pay the price (an extra pick) to get better chances of getting 2 players they like and that they feel will be "contested" when draft comes. 

30 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

I would bet the NYI are the ones who contacted the Hawks for this trade  for "quantity over quality". 

Hawks agreed to pay the price (an extra pick) to get better chances of getting 2 players they like and that they feel will be "contested" when draft comes. 

I would agree that the Isles likely initiated the trade.  I hope other teams looking for "quantity over quality" contact the Habs as they have an excess of picks, especially in next year's draft. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I would agree that the Isles likely initiated the trade.  I hope other teams looking for "quantity over quality" contact the Habs as they have an excess of picks, especially in next year's draft. 

I think Hughes said after both drafts that he 'tried' to use or bundle picks to trade up, but couldnt find a dance partner for whatever reason. 

2 hours ago, DON said:

I think Hughes said after both drafts that he 'tried' to use or bundle picks to trade up, but couldnt find a dance partner for whatever reason. 

Yes, I am pretty sure Hughes tried hard to move up but not always easy to do which is understandable. I am sure he will try again. 

Wonder what would excite Yzerman enough to trade pick #15? 

Offseason Checklist: Detroit Red Wings (prohockeyrumors.com)

"As with any team coming out of a rebuild, there will still be some untouchables in the prospect pool for Detroit. Still, Yzerman may be willing to part with Jonatan Berggren, Marco Kasper, William Wallinder, or the 15th overall pick of the 2024 NHL Draft if the price is right."

Dallas has done well at draft table.

How the Dallas Stars keep drafting and developing talent from the back of the first round - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

"Benn and Seguin are still here, still contributing. Pavelski is still a major piece. Ryan Suter, 39, is on the back end, still logging significant minutes. But this is a young man’s team now. Johnston leads the Stars in goals this postseason with seven. Heiskanen leads in points with 14, averaging more than 28 minutes per game. Robertson has 13 points and already has had two 40-goal seasons. Stankoven has stepped up and produced in the playoffs with Hintz injured. Harley is averaging more than 24 hard minutes a night and chipped in 47 points during the regular season."

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DON said:

Dallas has done well at draft table.

How the Dallas Stars keep drafting and developing talent from the back of the first round - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

"Benn and Seguin are still here, still contributing. Pavelski is still a major piece. Ryan Suter, 39, is on the back end, still logging significant minutes. But this is a young man’s team now. Johnston leads the Stars in goals this postseason with seven. Heiskanen leads in points with 14, averaging more than 28 minutes per game. Robertson has 13 points and already has had two 40-goal seasons. Stankoven has stepped up and produced in the playoffs with Hintz injured. Harley is averaging more than 24 hard minutes a night and chipped in 47 points during the regular season."

They litterally built their actual team in 2017.

#3  : Miro Heiskanen  (could have been Makar as well...)

#26 : Jake Oettinger 

#39 : Jason Robertson

This is an insane franchise changing draft right there with top talent at every position.

54 minutes ago, JoeLassister said:

This is an insane franchise changing draft right there with top talent at every position.

No doubt, to get a #1 goalie, a #1 defenseman and a point/game forward in the same draft year is phenomenal. 

2 hours ago, JoeLassister said:

2021 wasnt bad neither, picking 23rd and 47th.

(Stankoven a 5'8" centre passed over...wonder why:D, he shone in the AHL this year)

2023-24 Texas Stars AHL 47 24 33 57

image.png

• Like 1

Pronman new ranking

NHL Draft 2024 rankings: Macklin Celebrini leads Corey Pronman’s top 129 prospects - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

1- Celebrini

4- d-men

6- Catton

7- Sennecka

8- Demidov

I still like the offense that this kid may have, but biggest obvious hope is that Hawks/Ducks/CBJ all pick d-men.

image.png

45 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Demidov at 8? That's by far the lowest I have seen him ranked. 

Bob McKenzie had him 6th (mid-season), i guess after the combine will see if moves up in Mackenzie's scout poll ranking.

But, I get the impression Pronman tends to like size moreso than his co-writer Wheeler.

15 minutes ago, DON said:

Bob McKenzie had him 6th (mid-season), i guess after the combine will see if moves up in Mackenzie's scout poll ranking.

But, I get the impression Pronman tends to like size moreso than his co-writer Wheeler.

I think it's just another indication of how unpredictable this draft will be after Celebrini.  

17 minutes ago, DON said:

Not just size--Catton is sixth and Lindstrom is well down the list.

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

Not just size--Catton is sixth and Lindstrom is well down the list.

As he noted, he dosent really expect Lindstrom to be a top line player, due to low hockey-IQ.

More likely a Rene Bourque/Josh Anderson-type and not a Lindros/Getzlaf-type, is his big concern i guess.

Sennecke over Demidov seems wrong also, but what do i know.

1 hour ago, DON said:

As he noted, he dosent really expect Lindstrom to be a top line player, due to low hockey-IQ.

More likely a Rene Bourque/Josh Anderson-type and not a Lindros/Getzlaf-type, is his big concern i guess.

And that's another reason why I think Hughes will pass on Lindstrom.

34 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And that's another reason why I think Hughes will pass on Lindstrom.

Why, what was the first or other reason?

He is a centre, x-large, can skate well, is physical and scored lots last year, so is lots to like.

THW 2024 Mock NHL Draft Round 1: Our Writers Make Their Picks - The Hockey Writers - - NHL News, Analysis & More

5. Montreal Canadiens: Cayden Lindstrom, C, Medicine Hat Tigers (WHL)
THW Writer: Trege Wilson

The Canadiens’ management seems to like size and skill, and Lindstrom is the best player for both qualities. He had wrist surgery, which held him back this season, and he rehabbed a back injury that could raise questions, but for all intents and purposes, he seems healthy and ready to go.

Related: 2024 NHL Entry Draft – Top 10 Centers

Lindstrom will give the Canadiens even more size to go with Juraj Slafkovsky and Kirby Dach and another top-six power forward who can play center and the w

2 hours ago, DON said:

Sennecke over Demidov seems wrong also, but what do i know.

I don't have access to the article so is Rene Bourque\Josh Anderson his comparison or yours?

To put that comparison is perspective,  Josh Anderson's best year in junior was 27 goals in 54 games when he was 19. Lindstrom scored 27 goals in 32 games as a 17 year old! Not even close. Rene Bourque never played major junior so maybe harder to compare but his best year in college was 19 goals in 40 goals, he did score 27 a couple times in the NHL. 

I just don't get that comparison, it's meaningless to me. 

1 hour ago, DON said:

Why, what was the first or other reason?

He is a centre, x-large, can skate well, is physical and scored lots last year, so is lots to like.

Injuries.

I don't get to make the pick but I really don't expect Hughes to pick Lindstrom.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't have access to the article so is Rene Bourque\Josh Anderson his comparison or yours?

To put that comparison is perspective,  Josh Anderson's best year in junior was 27 goals in 54 games when he was 19. Lindstrom scored 27 goals in 32 games as a 17 year old! Not even close. Rene Bourque never played major junior so maybe harder to compare but his best year in college was 19 goals in 40 goals, he did score 27 a couple times in the NHL. 

I just don't get that comparison, it's meaningless to me.

It's in the article. But, as usual, it's a stylistic comparison, not a prediction that he will end up at the same level as Bourque or Anderson.

The point is, though, even if Anderson were to score 20+ goals next season, it'll basically be a solo effort, he doesn't really complement his linemates. And, stylistically, that is not great.

• Like 1

I guess if considering to trade down, might make sense this year, if some other GM really wants a top d-man at 5?

And add that trade piece to Jet pick for a forward.

Or should they just grab the top forward on their list, be it Iginla/Lindstrom/Catton.

NHL Mock Draft 2024: Pronman, Wheeler and Bultman play GM and pick the first round - The Athletic (nytimes.com)

5. Montreal Canadiens (Pick by Wheeler): Berkly Catton, C, Spokane Chiefs

A couple of D are my BPA here, but with David Reinbacher, Kaiden Guhle, Lane Hutson and Logan Mailloux and a clear need down the middle, I’m not sure the gap between the available D and the top centers is enough for me to double down. Catton gives a dimension of skating and skill that the Habs core could really use. I lean him over Cayden Lindstrom, Tij Iginla (a winger) and the other available forwards. Had the Habs taken a forward a year ago, this decision would have been more straightforward for me. As it stands, I don’t love it.

We have a clear need for a top-six forward. Does it necessarily need to be a centre, though? We have Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Beck, Kapanen, Evans as potential centres. Certainly a strong C would be good to enable one of them to move to the wing but I wouldn't think it's a must-have.

57 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

We have a clear need for a top-six forward. Does it necessarily need to be a centre, though? 

No it doesn't have to be a center. If the best forward available when they draft is Demidov or Iginla (or somebody else that is not a center)  then they should take them.  A healthy Dach (let's hope) goes a long way in helping our center ice situation. 

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

We have Suzuki, Dach, Newhook, Beck, Kapanen, Evans as potential centres. 

Dach unproven yet. Many 'seem' to think he is the #2 centre they lack, not sure why? Training camp play?

Newhook likely a winger or bottom six centre.

Beck/Kapanen/Evans all bottom six centres, if 1st two even make the NHL.

So drafting a skilled centre upgrade would seem smart and Catton or Lindstrom would fit the bill.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Dach unproven yet. Many 'seem' to think he is the #2 centre they lack, not sure why? Training camp play?

Newhook likely a winger or bottom six centre.

Beck/Kapanen/Evans all bottom six centres, if 1st two even make the NHL.

So drafting a skilled centre upgrade would seem smart and Catton or Lindstrom would fit the bill.

I think the Habs simply take the BFA (Best Forward Available) whether that be center or wing. 

• Upvote 1