Game 37 Habs at Dallas Jan 2, 8:00pm

Both Dvorak and Anderson are TBD at the moment, and the Habs' roster had only 12 forwards to start with. I think Newhook and RHP are still a month-plus away from coming back, so they'll need some reinforcements called up, and forget about sending Armia down for the moment. Heineman would be one, but who else?

3 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I didnt see much of this game at all but I caught Harris' goal.  I tend to think that he's more offensive than we realize.  After all, he did get 2 goals in 1 game in his rookie season and in the last 30 years the last 3 rookie Habs dmen to do that were:  Subban, Markov, and Schneider.   I dont believe it's a fluke that Harris did that and it could be a omen of his scoring potential.

I saw Andy's injury and it certainly looked serious and I'd definitely be surprised if he plays anytime soon.  The Habs potential long shot at playoffs took a bad turn with that injury.  Andy had been coming on fairly strong compared to his start of the season and even in games that he wasn't putting up points.  Can another player possibly start producing again?  ex: Moneyhands?  

Is Dvorak out as well?  If Andy and Dvo are now out is there any chance that the Habs can do an emergency recall of Beck?  I'm dying to see him come up but I'm uncertain if this creates an opportunity to do so.

I love Beck, but I do not want the Habs to call him on an emergency. Leave him in the minors like the Habs left Suzuki there

I hope the Habs do not screw the Laval Rocket with recalls. I would like Hugh-Gort to unload a goalie to get fillers back until the end of the year

1 minute ago, tomh009 said:

Both Dvorak and Anderson are TBD at the moment, and the Habs' roster had only 12 forwards to start with. I think Newhook and RHP are still a month-plus away from coming back, so they'll need some reinforcements called up, and forget about sending Armia down for the moment. Heineman would be one, but who else?

my preference would be for the Habs to sign Gignac to a two-way contract and to call him up. He deserves it.

If not, Lias Andersson just returned from injury

26 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I love Beck, but I do not want the Habs to call him on an emergency. Leave him in the minors like the Habs left Suzuki there

I hope the Habs do not screw the Laval Rocket with recalls. I would like Hugh-Gort to unload a goalie to get fillers back until the end of the year

I don't think Suzuki played a game in the minors.  If Hughes unloads a goalie I think he will be looking for picks or young prospects, not short term fillers. 

I don't think we take one game from Harris as a rookie where he got two goals and put that as an indication that he's going to become a scorer the likes of Subban, Markov and Schneider, when there are years of college hockey and junior hockey that don't score that kind of scoring potential. 

Hes a good skater and puckmover, but scoring has just never been his game and overrating one game is silliness. 

Lars Eller once scored four goals in a game.  So did Jan Bulis.  Ryan Poehling scored a hattrick in his first game.  None of this made them NHL scorers. 

31 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The chances of the Habs doing an emergency recall on someone who played a game in Sweden yesterday, when they are at home and Laval is RIGHT THERE,  are slim to none. 

39 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I assume you meant to say "Leave him in junior" which I think they will and I agree with. 

48 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I was thinking the same thing ... resolving the 3-headed-monster is a benefit in&of itself, but a forward is needed ... it would not likely be a long-term piece, but taking back a forward the other team doesn't want/need (provided the contract is expiring or buriable) might facilitate a trade and improve the prospect/pick they get back.

15 minutes ago, Commandant said:

I don't think we take one game from Harris as a rookie where he got two goals and put that as an indication that he's going to become a scorer the likes of Subban, Markov and Schneider, when there are years of college hockey and junior hockey that don't score that kind of scoring potential. 

Hes a good skater and puckmover, but scoring has just never been his game and overrating one game is silliness. 

It is certainly good to see Harris score though as it won't hurt his trade value. I still think Harris may be the odd man out if a young defensemen has to go. We also have a little more visibility about his long term potential as he has close to 100 NHL games now. If he can stay healthy he likely tops out at 5-10 goals/year and 20-30 points but you have to like his mobility and attitude. He is a classy young man, a lot to like. He may be valued highly by other teams if someone has to go. 

43 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It is certainly good to see Harris score though as it won't hurt his trade value. I still think Harris may be the odd man out if a young defensemen has to go. We also have a little more visibility about his long term potential as he has close to 100 NHL games now. If he can stay healthy he likely tops out at 5-10 goals/year and 20-30 points but you have to like his mobility and attitude. He is a classy young man, a lot to like. He may be valued highly by other teams if someone has to go. 

I don’t want to see Harris moved, when he is of our young Dmen that can play on either side. No need to rush into any moves with our young dmen this year unless someone seriously overpays.

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't think Suzuki played a game in the minors.  If Hughes unloads a goalie I think he will be looking for picks or young prospects, not short term fillers. 

You are right, juniors , OHL. That’s what I meant

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I assume you meant to say "Leave him in junior" which I think they will and I agree with. 

Yes 

9 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t want to see Harris moved, when he is of our young Dmen that can play on either side. No need to rush into any moves with our young dmen this year unless someone seriously overpays.

Harris’ contract is a bit too high to trade to a cup contending team with no cap space. 
and the Habs’ RD prospects have yet to establish themselves I. The NHL. I doubt he is moved but he may become the odd man out 

59 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Harris’ contract is a bit too high to trade to a cup contending team with no cap space. 
and the Habs’ RD prospects have yet to establish themselves I. The NHL. I doubt he is moved but he may become the odd man out 

Its not

His cap hit is 1.4 million

Consider that the team acquiring him either is sending a contract back to Montreal in a trade and/or sending another defenceman to the minors as Harris will take a roster spot and that contract is not hard to fit for most teams.  Consider also that the contract is pro-rated for the amount of the season already passed. 

The reason he's unlikely to be traded is that its far too early to give up on him and his versatility to play both sides on defence.  A team will have to overpay to get any of our young players. Either that, or it would have to be a hockey trade where we are getting a young forward for him, someone who is equivalent value in terms of age, contract, potential, etc.... and its a position for position swap. 

Hughes isn't going to give away these youngsters. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Fillers could be part of the goalie trade, but I want them to be throw ins.  He still has to get value to give up a goalie, and value means assets we can use long-term in the rebuild. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don't want to see him moved either, just thinking farther down the road when we will likely have an excess of defensemen. I see Harris as sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of defensemen. He moves the puck well but will likely never have the offensive impact of a Mailloux or Hutson. He will never have the physical impact of a Struble, Xhekaj or Guhle. I really like him and the fact as you mentioned that he can play both sides might keep him around for a while. I don't want him to be moved, just think down the road he MAY be the odd man out. 

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

I was thinking the same thing ... resolving the 3-headed-monster is a benefit in&of itself, but a forward is needed ... it would not likely be a long-term piece, but taking back a forward the other team doesn't want/need (provided the contract is expiring or buriable) might facilitate a trade and improve the prospect/pick they get back.

I don't disagree, if a "filler" means taking on an expiring contract to increase your return (ie young prospects, draft picks) then that is OK. 

Just now, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't disagree, if a "filler" means taking on an expiring contract to increase your return (ie young prospects, draft picks) then that is OK. 

Yes, we just don't want the expiring contract to be the key piece. 

1 hour ago, hab29RETIRED said:

I don’t want to see Harris moved...

OK... Guhle, Struble or Xhekaj then.:devil:

Pick your poison and fingers crossed they dont trade a future Norris winner

1 hour ago, DON said:

OK... Guhle, Struble or Xhekaj then.:devil:

Pick your poison and fingers crossed they dont trade a future Norris winner

Or dont make the decision now....

Whats the rush.

12 hours ago, hockeyrealist said:

Nice write up on the game, I can be overly negative on main page content , but that ten thoughts was good read and substantial info/insight.

Thanks.  It was a good one to fit within the idea I originally had with this change in format, a mixture of a summary, analysis, and some general thoughts.  Not all the games lend itself well toward getting all of that in there.

7 hours ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

Is Dvorak out as well?  If Andy and Dvo are now out is there any chance that the Habs can do an emergency recall of Beck?  I'm dying to see him come up but I'm uncertain if this creates an opportunity to do so.

I believe the conditions are met but he's about to be traded in the OHL and I think the Habs would rather he focus on a strong finish there.

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

my preference would be for the Habs to sign Gignac to a two-way contract and to call him up. He deserves it.

If not, Lias Andersson just returned from injury

The issue with signing Gignac now is that he'd need waivers to go back down.  If they think he can stick full-time, then sure, sign him but otherwise, it's better for Laval to not convert him now and just give him an NHL contract next summer.

Andersson's an interesting one, especially if they want centre depth.  I'm going to make a case for Farrell as well in a piece that should be up on the site shortly.

2 hours ago, Commandant said:

Or dont make the decision now....

Whats the rush.

No rush, but

Xhekaj maybe and playing 7 d-men maybe bit of issue, lot of games left.

27 minutes ago, DON said:

... playing 7 d-men maybe bit of issue, lot of games left.

Doubt that is the long-term plan ... with 3-goalies and injuries they just didn't have a 12th forward available.

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

His contract is a bargain and would be easier to move than Matheson or Savard. 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

I don't want to see him moved either, just thinking farther down the road when we will likely have an excess of defensemen. I see Harris as sort of a "jack of all trades, master of none" type of defensemen. He moves the puck well but will likely never have the offensive impact of a Mailloux or Hutson. He will never have the physical impact of a Struble, Xhekaj or Guhle. I really like him and the fact as you mentioned that he can play both sides might keep him around for a while. I don't want him to be moved, just think down the road he MAY be the odd man out. 

You need those guys on a cup winning team - particularly if they ar cheaper than one dimensional offensive of defensive dmen.