Game 39 - Canadiens vs Rangers - 7 p.m. - January 6, 2024

GHT120

The Canadiens held an optional morning skate at the Bell Centre on Saturday ahead of their first of three meetings with the Eastern Conference-leading Rangers this season.

On Friday, head coach Martin St-Louis confirmed that Samuel Montembeault would get the nod in goal against the Blueshirts. The 26-year-old netminder is 3-0-1 against New York in his career.

Emil Heineman was recalled from the American Hockey League on Friday and was on the ice ahead of Saturday’s outing. St-Louis confirmed during his pregame press conference that the 22-year-old will be in the lineup tonight.

The Canadiens' bench boss also said that the team will return to a 12 forward, six defenseman roster on Saturday. Johnathan Kovacevic will not dress against the Rangers. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Too bad Kovacevic has to sit in the pressbox.

I wonder how Kovacevic ended up in the doghouse. He's been more reliable defensively than most of our D corps, and has even done some scoring this year.

• Upvote 1

He had some poor games and few goal costing errors a while back... if i recall correctly.

8 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I wonder how Kovacevic ended up in the doghouse. He's been more reliable defensively than most of our D corps, and has even done some scoring this year.

Is he "in the doghouse" or are the 6 defencemen dressing just playing better?

50 minutes ago, GHT120 said:

I think, by definition, the seventh-best defenceman (as judged by St-Louis) would be in the doghouse.

On PK, he has been arguably been the best of the D corps, but that appears not to be enough.

5 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

I think, by definition, the seventh-best defenceman (as judged by St-Louis) would be in the doghouse.

On PK, he has been arguably been the best of the D corps, but that appears not to be enough.

I don’t think it means someone is on the doghouse. It’s more of a matter of having more bodies that can play, and you play the ones that are playing the best - which could change every few games. At some point I think they will move one of the veteran Dmen. Frankly the upside with the kids (maybe even the floor), is better than some of the veterans we have.  It’s not like the veterans don’t make mistakes. I cringe every time I see Savard trying to play goal!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

I think it's just a question of more defensemen than spots which is something St. Louis will have to deal with until more injuries happen. Not a terrible problem to have. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomh009 said:

I'd like to see a bit of a rotation for a bit.  Barron could have a game off, so could Harris, even Struble once in a while.  It shouldn't just be the same one sitting most of the time.

I suspect the issue is that they don't want to put Kovacevic back in a top-four spot where he really struggled earlier.  With Harris on his off-side already, asking him to move up not long after coming back from injury could be risky which leaves Kovacevic as the odd one out.

D'oh, why in the world did Gally skate hard to the crease when Armia was in alone?  With Gally standing in the crease there was 0 chance of Armia passing to him and scoring.

Oh well, at least he made up for it a minute later.

1-0 Habs!!  

3 hours ago, dlbalr said:

I'd like to see a bit of a rotation for a bit.  Barron could have a game off, so could Harris, even Struble once in a while.  It shouldn't just be the same one sitting most of the time.

I suspect the issue is that they don't want to put Kovacevic back in a top-four spot where he really struggled earlier.  With Harris on his off-side already, asking him to move up not long after coming back from injury could be risky which leaves Kovacevic as the odd one out.

I agree with rotating them and any that are on ELC's I'd even be yo-yo-ing them up n down.  i.e. Harris and Barron could both benefit from some high minutes in Laval.  I believe it is unfair they have only sent Arber down when there are others that are more deserving of AHL time.  They should be making the most of their waiver exemptions while they can and before they can't anymore.  

I sorta get the impression that Kovacevic could turn out to be a top 4.  However, it is probably better to devalue him and not let him know/realize that he could be a legit top 4 guy.  He'd be good to keep as a great low priced 3rd pair rhd.  

11 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Habs played a pretty good period. 

Hard fought hockey like this is fun to watch. 

I'm impressed with Slafkovsky’s hockey sense. He reads the play really well. 

I keep noticing Slaf doing all sorts of small lil things that can often go unnoticed but they are super important lil things.  He is definitely developing even when he is not putting up points.

Nice, Monahan scores.  Habs are 5-0-2 when he does.

Even better:  Armia!!!

33 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I keep noticing Slaf doing all sorts of small lil things that can often go unnoticed but they are super important lil things.  He is definitely developing even when he is not putting up points.

Nice, Monahan scores.  Habs are 5-0-2 when he does.

Even better:  Armia!!!

The period was going great - then things didn’t look so good. 

Rangers look really scary at times 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

They are a very good team indeed. That PP is potent, kudos to the Habs for making it through another kill.

Pez 1a 7 hits in 6:05

Evans 12 faceoffs; Monahan 9, Suzuki 6

Monahan 1g (10g 23pt 38 2/3gms)

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Yep, and that was a great penalty by NYR hooking Yolenen at the Habs goal line.  lol    I hoping the Habs would capitalize on that opportunity.  After that blown PP things changed and it turns out the Habs almost needed to score on that gift chance.

3 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

They are a very good team indeed. That PP is potent, kudos to the Habs for making it through another kill.

I somewhat assumed that the NYR would score on Suzuki's penalty.  Thank god they didnt but the Habs still need another goal or 2 to win this game.  

Struble was looking dangerous offensively and damn good thing he noticed Truba coming right before he tried to take his head off.  

Great small lil play by Slaf in NYR zone when he got up against their net just to get his body in the way of the dman that was chasing after the Habs player with the puck.

D'oh, I was hoping this wouldn't go to OT.  I often question Marty's choices for 3 on 3 and in SO's.

I only caught the third, unfortunately, but tend to agree with Galley - the Habs had a boatload of quality “looks” in the third and seemed to miss the net on most of them. 🙄 Neverthless, it was gratifying to get the win.

Monty was a beast in the third, OT, and SO. I’m a believer in the kid.