Game 40 - Canadiens @ Flyers - January 10, 2024 - 7 p.m.

GHT120

From back in the day (thanks to tomh009)

image.gif

But Primeau starting in goal

• Upvote 2

Another start for Primeau versus Philadelphia. I can't help but think they are showcasing him to generate more interest by the Flyers.

Good shot by Barron, and a great tip by Monahan to get the Habs on the board first!  :)

Montreal has 2 shots and 2 goals.  Gotta love that.

Savard got credit for the goal later.

Edited by habscout
goal correction

Close call on the Flyers scoring chance, had to go to a refs video review. It was not clearly over the line no matter what angle they showed. Refs [finally] made the right call.

I can't remember a time when the Habs scored on every official shot on goal in the first period.  This may be a team record!  Let's see if someone in the media or on Twitter will confirm that.

13 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

To say the Habs are fortunate to be up 2-1 would be the understatement of the year.  If they don't play better they will lose. 

What do you expect? We lost Lindstrom 🤪 

6 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Nice work by Savard, pile-driving that guy in the crease

Negated by Harris panic puck over glass penalty; took Flyers 29 seconds to score PPG/

1 hour ago, habscout said:

Another start for Primeau versus Philadelphia. I can't help but think they are showcasing him to generate more interest by the Flyers.

I think it's more likely they're just starting him against his hometown team.  Ersson signed a two-year extension before the season so he's Hart's backup moving forward.  Philly also has Sandstrom in the minors so they're probably not in the market for a goalie.

9 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I think it's more likely they're just starting him against his hometown team.  Ersson signed a two-year extension before the season so he's Hart's backup moving forward.  Philly also has Sandstrom in the minors so they're probably not in the market for a goalie.

You may be right.  It's also possible that with New Jersey very close by and in need of a goaltending improvement, the Devils could be the target team interested in Primeau.

9 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

8 shots is sad for two periods. Sometimes that means we will have a 20 shot third period. 

Oh how I wanted Slafkovsky to score on that breakaway. 

They're on track for 14 total for this game. Savard is the only Hab with more than one shot.

21 minutes ago, habscout said:

You may be right.  It's also possible that with New Jersey very close by and in need of a goaltending improvement, the Devils could be the target team interested in Primeau.

I dont think you need to worry about geography.  The devils have scouts in most NHL cities (as every team does).

I also think the Habs would rather move Allen.

1 minute ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Primeau’s having a nice game. I don’t find him an especially reassuring presence, but he (and his goalposts) have gotten it done so far.

Hes changed my mind over the course of the season from hes worthless to he might be a decent backup.

I cant go further than that though and i tbink its pure backup... not 1a/1b.

6 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Hes changed my mind over the course of the season from hes worthless to he might be a decent backup.

I cant go further than that though and i tbink its pure backup... not 1a/1b.

Seems reasonable. A Monty-Primeau duo would be fine for the next 2-3 years, I’d think.

I must say, Poehling has looked effective tonight. Maybe he’s a “Torts” guy

EDIT: aaaand we have secured an undeserved loser point at the very least. It seems somehow typical of this team to squeak out a point despite not being particularly good.

9 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Seems reasonable. A Monty-Primeau duo would be fine for the next 2-3 years, I’d think.

For 2 years, sure.

When we are serious about competing then either Monty must continue to improve to elite level (doubtful) or we will still need to upgrade to the 1b (maybe fowler or other prospect is a 1a/1b or more).  

Primeau can be a stop gap but i dont see him here long term still.

• Upvote 1