Game 55, Washington @ Montreal, 7PM EST, Saturday, February 17, 2024

TurdBurglar

• No lineup changes, other than Allen
  • Xhekaj has improved the things he was sent down to work on ... some nights are harder than others but progress being made
  • Ylonen not playing (obvious with no changes) ... work being done with him is "details of his game" (e.g., where he goes when he doesn't have the puck ... which I take as different that just defence)

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DON said:

Caps not doing great and a winnable game for the Habs.:gohabsgo:

image.png

Montréal Canadiens - Washington Capitals - Feb 17, 2024 | NHL.com

A very winnable game. The Caps starting to slide down which is not unexpected. Charlie Lindgren had a terrific start to the season which kept Washington in the playoff hunt but he has reverted to the mean recently.  I expect Washington to be sellers at the deadline. 

HNIC ding-a-lings debating whether kids today have enough "respect" for their elders 🙄 And oh yeah, Jack Hughes think he's a good player. News you need to know. 

That is two pretty wobbly defences going at it tonight, that's clear.

On the first goal, the D left the Cap alone there, so I don't really blame Allen.

Great cannon from Wifi. That's the thing about the kid, he has more tools in the box than just his fists.

It's just wonderful to watch Slaf out there. He is playing with such confidence.

16 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

Observation: Ovechin is slow. Oshie and Strome look like they are coasting to let grandpa keep up with them.

Ovechkin has scored 6 games in a row. That gives him a grand total of 14 on the season.

This ain't the Ovie of legend.

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ovechkin has scored 6 games in a row. That gives him a grand total of 14 on the season.

This ain't the Ovie of legend.

And he's unlikely to be any better next season.

14 minutes ago, tomh009 said:

And he's unlikely to be any better next season.

I guess everyone wants to see him hang around long enough to beat Gretzky's record. But if you ask me, there is something anticlimactic about the idea of this great player floating around as a shadow of himself just until he can do that. Gretzky had 90 points in his second last season and took his leave the minute he knew he could no longer produce at an elite level. Ovie's production this season brings to mind 99's final season: good by normal standards, but not up to the bar of his own greatness.

Two highlights for this period so far...Wifi destroying that guy, and Newhook potting one. Some good chances, but IMHO not a lot of intensity or stakes out there; a lacklustre game in that sense.

EDIT: the red on Allen's mask is not quite a match for the jersey and it bugs me. There, I said it.

Bah. Slaf almost won it at the end there, but no dice.

53 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

The season is starting to drag on for me. 

The players were pros, but this was a nothing game from two teams that know they’re playing out the string. I hear you.

Just now, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The players were pros, but this was a nothing game from two teams that know they’re playing out the string. I hear you.

I am happy that Slafkovsky extends his point streak at least. 

He looks great game after game 

Just now, Prime Minister Koivu said:

I am happy that Slafkovsky extends his point streak at least. 

He looks great game after game 

Yeah, even Toronto Night in Canada were singing his praises.

5 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Pretty entertaining finish.  And I liked the shoot-first mentality that we haven't seen a ton of from him.

2 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's nice to have a legitimate #1 line as Slafkovsky has really rounded out that line nicely. Just need to work on that #2 line. 

Newhook looked good tonight. Add Dach, and we almost have a second line.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

That's the thing about the kid, he has more tools in the box than just his fists.

I definitely agree and I'd add as does Florian.  

52 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

Pretty entertaining finish.  And I liked the shoot-first mentality that we haven't seen a ton of from him.

I saw an article 2 weeks ago saying he was working on having more of a shoot 1st mentality and that is paying off lately.  I also saw a clip about Slaf being 1st on the ice and last off at practices and he was working with the Habs shooting coach doing 1 timers.  

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

It's nice to have a legitimate #1 line as Slafkovsky has really rounded out that line nicely. Just need to work on that #2 line. 

Yep, and the 2nd line might be solved by signing a UFA.  However, they still need to get better defensively, but hopefully that comes in time.  

32 minutes ago, Sir_Boagalott said:

I definitely agree and I'd add as does Florian.  

I saw an article 2 weeks ago saying he was working on having more of a shoot 1st mentality and that is paying off lately.  I also saw a clip about Slaf being 1st on the ice and last off at practices and he was working with the Habs shooting coach doing 1 timers.  

Yep, and the 2nd line might be solved by signing a UFA.  However, they still need to get better defensively, but hopefully that comes in time.  

I almost hesitate to jinx it, but it looks more and more like HuGo really made the right call with pick #1. 

The 2nd line - either a UFA signing, or shenanigans around the draft involving picks/prospects to get back another Newhook type, or better. At the very least, we’re in a position where we have options, due to deft asset hoarding.