2023/2024 season playoff discussion

6 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

🤪

And to think that some on this forum wanted to bring back that immature punk 😕 

3 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Hey, I was open to bringing him in on a cheap deal, but point taken.

Just another in a long line of disastrous high picks from the Habs in the pre-Hugo era. This time, though - just for a change - Carolina paid the price for our managerial incompetence rather than us. And that commupance could not have been more richly deserved for an organization that acted like a bunch of trolls. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Hey, I was open to bringing him in on a cheap deal, but point taken.

If it was a "buriable" contract ($1.15M) I would still consider it ... see what MSL and/or some time in Laval can do with him ... of course, that would be contingent on Carolina buying him out ...per CapFriendly, 'Canes still have the 1/3 buyout option for 2025 and 2026, so they may be patient for another year unless they have a specific need for the almost $4M they would save next season ... they have $27M in cap space for 24/25 (per CF) but have Teräväinen, Guentzel, Necas, Jarvis, Skjei, Pesce and some other UFA/RFAs to re-sign/replace.

Even if the Canes buy him out, I don't think there is any chance KK wants to come back here and I don't think the Habs want him back. That ship has sailed.  He will go somewhere where he can start fresh. 

I still don't think the Canes buy him out. 

15 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Even if the Canes buy him out, I don't think there is any chance KK wants to come back here and I don't think the Habs want him back. That ship has sailed.  He will go somewhere where he can start fresh. 

I still don't think the Canes buy him out. 

We’ve been over this…I think it was dlbalr who pointed out that the habs really don’t have room for him at C, and that he has not shown much effectiveness at W over his career. So he’s not really a roster fit.

For my money, the past shouldn’t be relevant to the specific question of whether KK can help us in some way. That would be purely a question for the pro scouting department: is there truly untapped potential there that MSL can perhaps bring out? Or is KK basically just a flop? If the former, and if you think he can fit on the roster, then why not take a flyer on him, assuming a buyout?

Whether KK would want to come back is another question. Like you, I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Whether KK would want to come back is another question. Like you, I doubt it.

If KK gets bought out, he will have several choices as many teams will take a chance on a guy who was a #3 pick not long ago.  I can't think of any reason he would want to come back to Montreal. 

1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

If KK gets bought out, he will have several choices as many teams will take a chance on a guy who was a #3 pick not long ago.  I can't think of any reason he would want to come back to Montreal. 

Maybe he liked the city and likes what he hears about the new administration/coach.

1 hour ago, GHT120 said:

Maybe he liked the city and likes what he hears about the new administration/coach.

why would it be up to that immature punk to decide if he is open to contemplating a return?

Is like wanting to take back an alcoholic ex-partner, because he may have changed and things are different now.

No, thank you! Not a chance.

Just now, alfredoh2009 said:

why would it be up to that immature punk to decide if he is open to contemplating a return?

Is like wanting to take back an alcoholic ex-partner, because he may have changed and things are different now.

The ASSUMPTIONS in the trail of posts to which mine related are that KK is bought out, therefore becomes a free agent, that the Habs make an offer and the expectation that he is likely to receive more than one ... by the nature of free agency, it then becomes his choice ... but I understand that you do not want the Habs to make the offer.

52 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I don't understand your hatred for him?

Is it because he made Bergevin look even more useless?

He got offered 6M$!!!   

I dont blame him for taking it but Im sure he will never return here because he would be booed every night he doesnt score a goal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GHT120 said:

Maybe, but I think he realizes (and likely his agent too) that a fresh start in a new city is the best thing for his mental health and future.  

Kotkaniemi has disappointed in CAR, even if he is over 50% on faceoffs, he does not have top-6 numbers.

Other UFAs like Anthony Duclair and Warren Foegele are UFAs this summer and would be cheaper. Reclamation projects like Jakub Vrana and Kasperi Kapanen may e better suited ift the plan is to have bottom-6 forwards that may find their game under MSL. I have more faith in any of these four and many other options way WAY over KK. 

Why give KK a chance when the Habs have better prospects and may draft a better player this year?

image.png

22 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

Kotkaniemi has disappointed in CAR, even if he is over 50% on faceoffs, he does not have top-6 numbers.

NOBODY is advocating giving him a Top 6 role ... most likely a 4C role with a chance to earn TOI ... it would obviously be predicated on moving Dvorak and/or Evans ... or starting him in the AHL ... and nobody is assuming/saying a 4C/AHL role would be an enticement to sign in Montreal.

But if I read between the lines ... you wouldn't want KK in any role.

2 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Maybe, but I think he realizes (and likely his agent too) that a fresh start in a new city is the best thing for his mental health and future.  

Not disagreeing ... and was predicting nothing ... just discussing a possibility and merely responding to your "I can't think of any reason he would want to come back to Montreal".

12 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I’d still take him, or the picks we would have gotten rather than trading a 1st and a 2nd for Dvorak.

4 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Curious how Florida responds.

Surely they were too rested and relaxed while the Bruins were still game 7 pumped. 

That can happen, you can lose momentum after a layoff but the rest should start to pay off later in the series. 

I still want the Bruins to win against Florida (and then lose the next series) to improve the Winnipeg pick. 

13 hours ago, Dalhabs said:

I don't understand your hatred for him?

Is it because he made Bergevin look even more useless?

He got offered 6M$!!!   

I dont blame him for taking it but Im sure he will never return here because he would be booed every night he doesnt score a goal.

Exactly... hes an immature punk for taking life changing money? Makes no sense.  Anyone would have taken the contract.  I think the immature punk is the person who doesnt understand why a player would make such a decision.

I just like seeing it blow up in Dundon/Waddell's face though.  I think they deserve the ridicule that their revenge offer sheet failed so badly.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Curious how Florida responds.

Surely they were too rested and relaxed while the Bruins were still game 7 pumped. 

Or Florida dominated the game but Swayman stood on his head.

54 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Or Florida dominated the game but Swayman stood on his head.

Swayman seems incredibly good at covering the bottom half of the net, it was the same against the leafs. 

Not sure I would say Florida dominated. They had significant problems in the neutral zone and turned the puck over a few times there.