I think its time to part with..

Aebischer4life

Kovalev. He's 34, has a terrible knee and is really slow out there.

He's making so many giveaways and costing the team with his stupid penalties.

He has scored only 6 goals in 30 games this season (the empty net goal doesnt count)...thats on pace for 20 goals.

I cant see how it would hurt our team

Higgins Koivu Lats

Sammy Pleks Ryder

Perez Bonk Johnson

Streit Begin Lapierre

It would free up the 4.5 million salary as well and by dumping Abi, Niinimaa and Rivet at the end of the season we could sign the big center weve been looking for.

Thoughts?

Edited by Aebischer4life

Yes and no.

Kovalev draws attention. He's a magicans with the puck time to time and he has instinct. What he did to Tucker last season is enough to make me defend him for a long time...

Yes and no.

Kovalev draws attention. He's a magicans with the puck time to time and he has instinct. What he did to Tucker last season is enough to make me defend him for a long time...

Yes but those moves rarely amount to anything.

When's the last time those moves caused a goal?

Since he only shows up 1 out of every 4 games, Carbo can sit him down for a few games. Let his knee rest, then play him once or twice a week. There is no team out there that would trade for him at 4.5 million with one more year left. Samsonov, maybe Ryder is realistically the only top 6 forward that the Habs can move. Higgins, Koivu, Lats are obviously untouchable.

Kovalev will show up in the playoffs!

Kovalev does not have high value and if the Canadiens were to trade him they would have to take back equal salary or close to it so that would rule out the only positive of getting rid of him.

Kovalev is a leader and is struggling right now, we are aware his knee is bothering him and he may need some rest.

All in all Kovalev WILL NOT BE TRADED

I agree he's not living up to the expectations, maybe his knee is the or a reason. But i believe it's not all that. Maybe its also mentally, but as an outsider cant give a real based opinion. But im also a bit dissapointed in him. I really hope he improves, he's in talent the best player we have.

Curious that you start this thread after his bad game yesterday. When Markov had the flu, he missed 2 games. Kovalev has the flu and played, and here are some of you, bashing him. Take off Kovalev and you'll see our PP crash and burn. What he may not bring anymore in points, he brings by creating more space for his linemates more often than not. May I also point out that we are sitting 4th in the eastern conference and trading one of our offensive players when things are going well is not the greatest of ideas.

He is still one of our better players even dogging it. There is no point in dropping one of our top players unless we can get something quite valuable for him. I don't see that happening.

As has been pointed out, he will show up in the playoffs. Even playing the way he is, he is worth more to us than any forward except Koivu, Higgins and Bonk.

Sure we would all be happy if he worked as hard as Koivu but he doesn't. That's Kovalev's main flaw. All our players have flaws: Koivu's would be better if he were bigger (and less injury prone), Ryder would be better if he could handle the puck better and were faster, etc. People find Kovalev irritating because his main flaw is attitude not physical skill. While that is frustrating, that the way he is.

Curious that you start this thread after his bad game yesterday. When Markov had the flu, he missed 2 games. Kovalev has the flu and played, and here are some of you, bashing him. Take off Kovalev and you'll see our PP crash and burn. What he may not bring anymore in points, he brings by creating more space for his linemates more often than not. May I also point out that we are sitting 4th in the eastern conference and trading one of our offensive players when things are going well is not the greatest of ideas.

21 Points in 30 games...and you guys want to trade him? You're all nuts. FuRy brings a great point that if it weren't for him...our Powerplay wouldn't be what it is...and he does give his linemates more space. Despite his so called "lazy efforts", then why is he third on the team in points right now? It is obvious that his knee is bothering him, but what matters the most is the playoffs...And that is where this guy really makes it happen! Martin Gerber probably still has nightmares about him. Goalies in the league are AFRAID to face his shot. As stated in Martin Brodeur's autobiography, he said that Kovalev was one of the hardest guys to face when it comes to a shot. I really do think that Plekanek is bringing his game down...he's just not the same style of player. I know this sounds nuts..but maybe throw Markov up as a forward for a game to play with Kovalev...They seem to always click!! Just a thought! :D On another note, I have no idea why Alex always seems to pass the puck when coming off the boards now...I'd like him to rip that rifle wrister of his underneath the bar....He did that so much last season and it worked a lot...I think he needs to just shoot the puck more, loosen up the grip on his stick a little, and good things will happen! Alex will come back, so stop hating and bashing him...We're not losing hockey games because of him...So what's there to complain about? PS: He is capable of doing all of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QKgAeJTg4

Go AK27 Go!

He's a game breaker!! How many other players on thisa team are? If he wants to do something he can, like he shows in the playoffs. Koivus great and all, but he cant do what kovalev can. He does open up a lot of room for other players....remember, he is targeted. Players who come into montreal and play the habs are afraid of him, he strikes fear into the oponents when he plays. i'm not saying he always performs and he is like the best player to ever play the game, but watch how closely opponents play him, ...intimidation is a big things in sports.

He's capable of doing many things, he just doesn't do that often enough.

21 Points in 30 games...and you guys want to trade him? You're all nuts. FuRy brings a great point that if it weren't for him...our Powerplay wouldn't be what it is...and he does give his linemates more space. Despite his so called "lazy efforts", then why is he third on the team in points right now? It is obvious that his knee is bothering him, but what matters the most is the playoffs...And that is where this guy really makes it happen! Martin Gerber probably still has nightmares about him. Goalies in the league are AFRAID to face his shot. As stated in Martin Brodeur's autobiography, he said that Kovalev was one of the hardest guys to face when it comes to a shot. I really do think that Plekanek is bringing his game down...he's just not the same style of player. I know this sounds nuts..but maybe throw Markov up as a forward for a game to play with Kovalev...They seem to always click!! Just a thought! :D On another note, I have no idea why Alex always seems to pass the puck when coming off the boards now...I'd like him to rip that rifle wrister of his underneath the bar....He did that so much last season and it worked a lot...I think he needs to just shoot the puck more, loosen up the grip on his stick a little, and good things will happen! Alex will come back, so stop hating and bashing him...We're not losing hockey games because of him...So what's there to complain about? PS: He is capable of doing all of this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QKgAeJTg4

Go AK27 Go!

All great points..........plus he's one of the main reasons we get PP opportunities in the first place, (I'd like to know if there is a stat on this) because he's so hard to knock off the puck..............One more thing, everytime I see a habs interviewed these days, all they talk about is team chemistry......I'm sure Kovy's is looked up to by many of the Russians (+ Borat) on our team ....We do not see what goes on off the ice, which is part of the chemistry..............The team is playing well right now.....Like someone said before "Don't fix what ain't broken"!

His linemates had a fantastic game vs Boston. Maybe they'll wake him up. He's uber-talented with uber-talented (and hot) linemates - how bad can he do?

And if worse comes to worse, he'll hang around until the playoffs and (likely) light it up then.

If you were a goalie coming into montreal.....who do you think your most afraid of stopping...koivu..nope....higgins..nope..ryder...nope....souray...(only cause of it hurts everytime he fires the puck, haha, but nope...kovalev...ding ding, we have a winner, he can beat you from anywhere and realistically the only player on montreal who can make a goalie look downright stupid.

playoffs will tell the story....just watch

His linemates had a fantastic game vs Boston. Maybe they'll wake him up. He's uber-talented with uber-talented (and hot) linemates - how bad can he do?

And if worse comes to worse, he'll hang around until the playoffs and (likely) light it up then.

8 games without a goal is getting pretty ridiculous. I'm not saying trade him, but they gotta do something the wake him up. He has elite talent, we all know that, but he's not showing it at all. Last few games I've been able to watch, he's been invisible. Maybe his knee is bothering, maybe he just needs a healthy scratch to kick him in the ass. Sammy is looking like he's turning things around, Kovalev does not.

Didn't read this thread, but just wait till the playoffs guys. Are you all forgetting his performances in both 04 and 06? He may be annoying in that he doesn't get up for regular season games, but believe me he will be there when it counts.

Look at all our other players, they don't even come close to matching up with what Kovy has done in the postseason, we need him come April big time.

EDIT: After reading a few more posts in this thread, i see others share the same opinion. :clap:

He's not playing up to his potential, but even so, he's earning his 4.5. I still think Gainey scored a coup in locking him up for that much. Can you imagine what he would have gotten in the open market this past summer?

No, he doesn't score enough. Yes, he should be taking more wristers from the faceoff dot. But as a couple of people have already pointed out, he's often double-teamed by the opposition and he draws penalties all the time when frustrated opponents hook him or hold him - even if that's off-balanced by his annoying 2-minute misconducts.

You remember how all last year and the beginning of this year he would do that right-side blue-line swerve on the power play and dance in to the net to take that killer wrist shot? Every team is aware of that now, so he can't do it any more, but the effort other teams' PKs put into stopping him from doing it opens things up for the other players. These are things which don't show up in the stats, but Carbo knows them.

As for the things which do show up in the stats - Souray is a huge part of the PP success, but so are Markov and Kovalev - Markov at the left point with his surreal passes to Kovalev low right who passes to the left slot to someone who hopefully scores. Other than Souray's cannon, that's all the Habs have going on the PP, and that half of it wouldn't happen without Kovalev. Watch for it next game, you'll see it again and again.

As for yesterday, he played a horrible game, and he knew it. That giveaway for Savard's 2nd goal was just the worst of a bad night of off-sync passes, etc, and it had him shaking his head on the way to the bench, which he never does. But the guy did have the flu...

I dont really have anything against kovalev, i also think hes important to this team in freeing up some room for the other players on the ice. But i always hear in Kovalevs defence... "wait until the playoffs come around"

Where was kovalev when koivu was injured vs carolina and we lost 4 games in a row... where art thou kovalev?