Huet to Wash for 2nd round pick

HabsWEST

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, the 2nd round pick is for 2009 NOT 2008!

I think this is a cap clearing move to bring in Jokinen and Hossa :clap:

Who knows what is going on!

I agree. I expect somthing else to happen.

Price is the #1...We all need to stop saying how bad it is and just stop and say goodbye to Huet and start cheering for Price. :)

There's one happy guy, your site should get some extra hits now too! :D

Given that I don't think that Gainey is stupid, I personally think he is one of the most astute GM's in the league, I can only think of one scenario that makes this trade make sense.

We will soon hear that Montreal has not only traded for Hossa, but has signed him to a long term deal. WIth that deal signed Gainey knows that he will not be able to afford Huet under the cap for next year, and wants to keep the remainder of the team (minus who goes back for Hossa) intact. So knowing that he will lose Huet anyway, he shopped him for the best he could get for an UFA goalie with no playoff record to speak of. I too am disappointed with the 2nd round pick but I can't imagine Gainey did not explore all options.

This means that Gainey is not only thinking of this year, but thinking more about the next five years for the team, which would now include Hossa.

I liked Huet. I felt more comfortable with him in nets than Price, at least, at the present. It's alright though, Price will just learn and develop faster this way.

So long Cristobal, you will be missed! Thanks for everything!

You wore the CH proudly and helped turn around this club.

I hope there's another deal coming. But I won't COUNT on that. To me, Gainey has known all along he wasn't going to resign Huet, and had planned all along to unload him at the deadline. Fair enough. I also think the media reaction is undervaluing Halak, who, as far as I'm concerned, showed last season that he belongs in the NHL (not to say that he's a #1, just that he will be fully adequate to take some starts for us if Price flags).

More bothersome to me is that Tampa obviously wanted a goalie, and Huet has far better credentials than Mike Smith. So...couldn't we have made a deal for Richards?

THAT'S why I really hope the Hossa deal, or something comparable, is in the works. Because otherwise we probably should have gotten Richards back for Huet.

Nonetheless: the benefit of the doubt always goes to Bob.

I hope there's another deal coming. But I won't COUNT on that. To me, Gainey has known all along he wasn't going to resign Huet, and had planned all along to unload him at the deadline. Fair enough. I also think the media reaction is undervaluing Halak, who, as far as I'm concerned, showed last season that he belongs in the NHL (not to say that he's a #1, just that he will be fully adequate to take some starts for us if Price flags).

More bothersome to me is that Tampa obviously wanted a goalie, and Huet has far better credentials than Mike Smith. So...couldn't we have made a deal for Richards?

THAT'S why I really hope the Hossa deal, or something comparable, is in the works. Because otherwise we probably should have gotten Richards back for Huet.

Nonetheless: the benefit of the doubt always goes to Bob.

Do we really care what the media thinks? These are the same guys that picked the Habs for 13th. They are composed of people like Milbury and JFJ.

How in the hell can anybody take a word Milbury says in criticism of another organizations trade?

Gainey probably attempted to sign Huet, couldn't and dealt him. It was a huge red flag when they gave Price the start tonight after his last 2 outings.

Halak will be fine, and if Gainey does not make another move it shows where he is looking. Towards the future and not some long shot chance at the cup in 2008.

Well looks like Bob and I were thinking alike.

I have to say I am happy better to go with the kids.

JMMR must be spanking himself in glee!!

Yeah I am it is a good move and why I have been saying so for so long.

Well looks like Bob and I were thinking alike.

I have to say I am happy better to go with the kids.

Yeah I am it is a good move and why I have been saying so for so long.

I agree with the move. But I wouldn't have complained if they kept him for this season.

But handing Timmons an extra pick just increases the chances of pulling a gem out of his ass.

Good move

Wow. I guess the future is now.

There has to be more to this. No way would Bob hurt our current chances without getting something more than a 2nd rounder out of it.

Wow. I guess the future is now.

There has to be more to this. No way would Bob hurt our current chances without getting something more than a 2nd rounder out of it.

It does not hurt the Habs current chances.

Huet had not stole one game yet for this team now the ball is in Price's court and Halak is there in relief.

It does not hurt the Habs current chances.

Huet had not stole one game yet for this team now the ball is in Price's court and Halak is there in relief.

100% Agreeance :)

Ducks 2nd round would be like 30-40th overall. They do reverse for the 2nd, don't they?

Anyway, that is all he drew at auction, therefore it was his worth. Better than having him hang around the next couple months and then leave for nought.

Still hoping for that "Impact Player"