Sign in to follow this  
dlbalr

Habs Salary Cap Info and FAQ's

This will be Seattle's year to pluck players from each team also.

I assume the cap will rise; but will getting these 7 guys (or their replacements) resigned in 2021 be a huge worry?

Likely one or two will be gone by then (thinking Tatar, Danault or Petry)

Just a question.  CapFriendly lists a roster size which is different for each team as some teams still have players to sign.  How many players from the roster actually count toward the cap when the season begins?   Thanks

18 minutes ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Just a question.  CapFriendly lists a roster size which is different for each team as some teams still have players to sign.  How many players from the roster actually count toward the cap when the season begins?   Thanks

As many as the team has on the roster. 

Max Roster size is 23... but some teams carry 22. 

You also have IR.  They don't count towards the 23 but still count on the cap. 

Thanks. Obviously if they send someone to the AHL from their roster it would still count toward the cap or would it not count if they had a 2 way contract? 

5 hours ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

Thanks. Obviously if they send someone to the AHL from their roster it would still count toward the cap or would it not count if they had a 2 way contract? 

Approximately $1 million can be buried in the AHL.... so if you send Weise and Alzner to the AHL, you save about $2 million, and the rest stays on your cap. 

26 minutes ago, Commandant said:

Approximately $1 million can be buried in the AHL.... so if you send Weise and Alzner to the AHL, you save about $2 million, and the rest stays on your cap. 

Just to tack onto this and cover the second part of the question, the two-way contract doesn't exempt them from counting against the cap.  That only determines what the player is actually making at each level but the NHL cap hit counts in full when a player on a two-way deal is in the NHL.

Thanks Commandant and dlbalr.  Obviously this cap stuff is complicated for some teams.  Toronto fans were excited when they signed Tavares but it's having a real negative effect on the team now. They gave up a first round pick to shed salary and they still have work to do. You really need those young guys on entry level contracts coming up to keep your cap in line.  I assume Bergevin realizes this. Would hate to see Montreal in a similiar position in a couple years.  You just can't overpay for free agents unless you are in a position where you have a bunch of great contracts already (ie. Colorado has a sweet deal with Nathan McKinnon). 

First I've seen Peca's name attached to Laval, but I don't disagree. With Lindgren also on a 1 way deal, that will be $8 425 000 on the farm team. Somebody's gotta get dealt, no way Molson wants to pay that much on the farm team all season. 

18 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

First I've seen Peca's name attached to Laval, but I don't disagree. With Lindgren also on a 1 way deal, that will be $8 425 000 on the farm team. Somebody's gotta get dealt, no way Molson wants to pay that much on the farm team all season. 

I've figured that's all but a foregone conclusion going back to April.