Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DON

Blues @ Habs 7:30 Dec. 5 2017

Recommended Posts

DON    37

http://intentionaloffside.com/?p=45231

 

5th place Blues (17-8-2) vs 20th place Habs (13-12-3)

Blues are 4-5-1 in last ten, Habs are 5-3-2

Schenn, Schwartz & Tarasenko are key offensive weapons for St.Louis

Image result for St Louis Blues and Montreal Canadiens

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the Blues. In the league since 1967, yet never won a Cup. Nonetheless they have had, it seems to me, a disproportionate number of strong teams over the years, and have never, to my knowledge, "tanked." They're like the ultimate in consistency, missing the playoffs only five times since 1980. Unlike the Habs, they are often rated as contenders, yet - exactly like the Habs - never break through. Classy logo and old-school jerseys too, with some distinguished players over their impressive history. They have a neat name of the type that would never, ever be chosen in today's shiny super-corporate NHL. And they seem to be rock-solid in terms of the fan-base.

 

Kind of an interesting  and under-appreciated franchise, all things considered. Living in the Vancouver area, I find myself wondering if their fans are as whiny and self-pitying as Canucks fans, who feel tragically hard done-by by the fact that they've never won. Not totally unlike Canucks' fans, Blues fans are both privileged - they have a good team, year after year after year - and long-suffering - they never win or even come close.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toughest game they've played since CP returned.. here's to a big win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scott462    60
4 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Ah, the Blues. In the league since 1967, yet never won a Cup. Nonetheless they have had, it seems to me, a disproportionate number of strong teams over the years, and have never, to my knowledge, "tanked." They're like the ultimate in consistency, missing the playoffs only five times since 1980. Unlike the Habs, they are often rated as contenders, yet - exactly like the Habs - never break through. Classy logo and old-school jerseys too, with some distinguished players over their impressive history. They have a neat name of the type that would never, ever be chosen in today's shiny super-corporate NHL. And they seem to be rock-solid in terms of the fan-base.

 

Kind of an interesting  and under-appreciated franchise, all things considered. Living in the Vancouver area, I find myself wondering if their fans are as whiny and self-pitying as Canucks fans, who feel tragically hard done-by by the fact that they've never won. Not totally unlike Canucks' fans, Blues fans are both privileged - they have a good team, year after year after year - and long-suffering - they never win or even come close.

 

This was a fun read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    37

I half expect a tight checking, boring game, but hope Habs come out flying and don't let up!:gohabsgo:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trizzak    487

Maaaaaaaaybe leaving Schenn all alone out front is a bad idea. Just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
illWill    435

I wish the Habs had a player as terrible as Jori Lehtera to trade for Brayden Schenn back in the summer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trizzak    487

Carr with a beauty screen on Benn's goal. He really should be an everyday player on the 4th line. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trizzak    487

Benn has tied his career high in goals. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    692
22 minutes ago, illWill said:

I wish the Habs had a player as terrible as Jori Lehtera to trade for Brayden Schenn back in the summer

 

There were multiple first-round picks going to Philly in the deal as well...

 

5 minutes ago, Trizzak said:

Benn has tied his career high in goals. 

 

Who'd have thought that on December 5th, Benn would have as many goals as the three Norris finalists from last season (Karlsson, Burns, and Hedman) combined?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
illWill    435
5 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

 

There were multiple first-round picks going to Philly in the deal as well...

 

Yeah but if I mentioned those then my post wouldn't have been as good.

 

They can have as many late first round picks as they want as long as we get a point per game center 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trizzak    487

Oh that's really bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbhatt    24

Back to giving up goals in a quick pair...and no sustained pushback since that happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Commandant    635
Just now, sbhatt said:

Back to giving up goals in a quick pair...and no sustained pushback since that happened.

 

The last 5 games show how this is a good team, a playoff team.

 

Games like this show they are not a contender.  Dominated up the middle. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbhatt    24
Just now, Commandant said:

 

The last 5 games show how this is a good team, a playoff team.

 

Games like this show they are not a contender.  Dominated up the middle. 

 

Games against big teams from the west almost always expose our weakness at center and general softness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habsfan    60

Tonight is the real test. Down by 2 with about half the game to go.Now is when we will really see what they're made of! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Trizzak    487

 

and then take a lazy penalty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DON    37

Get one back anyways and Weber rolls one in there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dlbalr    692

That was a neat (and very lucky) shot from Weber to get it to within one.  That was the type of shot that I could see players trying to duplicate in practice for fun (and failing).

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neech    85

Nice fluky curve from Shwebs, I'll take it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Neech    85
24 minutes ago, Commandant said:

 

The last 5 games show how this is a good team, a playoff team.

 

Games like this show they are not a contender.  Dominated up the middle. 

 

Yeah, I've never felt like we've had a real contender, even when we were putting up the regular season points of one or making the conference finals.  And it's always been the same failing: the centre position.    

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sbhatt    24

This is one of those games where it'd be nice for Max to show up and show some fire.  Won't hold my breath, but....it'd be nice.  And I don't mean laying in permimeter shots directly to the goaltender's crest for those of you about to point out that he has 3 SOG in this game.  I'm talking about cutting to the middle...going to the net hard and burying one.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    280

Alzner no points in last 20 games.

 

The defense is leaky as shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stogey24    280

Deslauries has been a huge spark plug for this team. Crowd seems to be taking a liking to him 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habsfan    60

Well, we're back in it thanks to a couple of goals by Weber! Now let's see if we can hold on...or maybe even get the 2 points!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×