Jump to content

Ryan Poehling


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, tomh009 said:

 

No one is comparing him to Gallagher. But I believe he needed an attitude adjustment, and maybe sitting in the press box in the bubble gave him some extra motivation. Maybe.

 

Poehling would not have an easy time finding a spot playing in Europe as all the teams have import quotas. Ylonen, Leskinen and Kotkaniemi had no troubles as they don't take up import slots.

"a Gallagher" is more what i was referring to and not talking specific skills of each, simply that Gallagher is the type who works hard consistently, shoots a ton and creates offensive opportunities for himself and i think Poehling should take some pointers from him to improve from 1g1a in 27gms.

I wasnt sure if it was Poehling couldnt find a European team, or that Habs are simply hoping AHL fires up in new year?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well, my daddy left home when I was three And he didn't leave much to ma and me Just this old guitar and an empty bottle of booze   Now I don't blame him 'cause he run and hid But the meanest

I'm a little surprised he hasn't had a chance (I thought a fourth line, big body presence in Weise's spot was a role for him, especially against Pittsburgh) but I'm not surprised Evans and Belzile are

Posted Images

18 minutes ago, DON said:

"a Gallagher" is more what i was referring to and not talking specific skills of each, simply that Gallagher is the type who works hard consistently, shoots a ton and creates offensive opportunities for himself and i think Poehling should take some pointers from him to improve from 1g1a in 27gms.

I wasnt sure if it was Poehling couldnt find a European team, or that Habs are simply hoping AHL fires up in new year?

Think the only chance Ryan would have to catch on in Europe would have been if the Habs were looking to assign his contract for the full season ... import slots rarely go to "visitors"

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyways, I just cant see a spot for him on the Habs, 4th line centre is only option and Evans had decent showing in 6 games he just played and solid AHL season before that.

And you dont want Poehling as 13th man sitting in the pressbox.

 

So even without AHLfan revenue, might NHL teams still want to get AHL games rolling so that prospects can play competitive games in Feb? Or is that a non-starter and need fans for AHL to operate? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way I see Poehling even having a chance to start on the 4th line is if there is no AHL season.  Even then, Id send him to Europe before having him on the 4th line. 

To me its top 9 or AHL, if he can't crack the top 9, he needs to play 20+ minutes a game in the AHL. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DON said:

So even without AHLfan revenue, might NHL teams still want to get AHL games rolling so that prospects can play competitive games in Feb? Or is that a non-starter and need fans for AHL to operate?

 

There were some NHL teams pushing to start the AHL in December just to get their prospects some playing time.  Evidently, there weren't enough of them willing to do so with the league pushing the date back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DON said:

Why would you? You know is highly unlikely.


I simply had Poehling on my 4th line in the thread where we made our lines, and I’m not going to change my mind simply because it’s not the popular opinion. I’m not saying it will happen, it’s just my projected lineup.

 

I am not something like a huge Poehling supporter but I don’t think there’s a huge disparity between Evans and Poehling, in that Poehling brings other attributes to the table outside of statistics as well. 

 

One can look at it like this:  “Go play in Europe, or the AHL, play a lot of minutes, boost your confidence, kid.

 

On the other hand, I could care less about Poehling’s development if he is unable to crack Montreal’s top 4 lines depth chart at center, with three of those centers being 20, 21, and 24 respectively. If Poehling cannot crack our lineup soon, he won’t ever be a Hab. Sure, he can increase his trade value by continuing to improve, but tied in with my initial statement where I did not want his hat trick & shootout winner to be the highlight of his time with the Habs, that won’t do anything when it comes to bettering his future with the Habs organization.

 

I guess to some my thought process wouldn’t be rational. However, I don’t think it’s a far fetched idea.

 

1) Poehling was on the Habs before Evans (meaning as recently as last year, he was viewed higher on the depth chart than Evans)

 

2) Poehling’s year last year was possibly a down year. Of course if it wasn’t, he’s a goner. However if it was, the sky is the limit.

 

It’s funny because it seems both sides would be arguing what they believe is better for Poehling in the long run.

 

Others: Go play large minutes because we want you to be a top 9 player.

 

Me: Hopefully you’re our 4th best center now because if you aren’t, you won’t be with the Habs for very long.

 

It’s no coincidence Poehling’s name is brought up in 87% of the trade proposals involving the Habs.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

It’s no coincidence Poehling’s name is brought up in 87% of the trade proposals involving the Habs.

 

That wouldn't surprise me if there is strong interest in Poehling. I really believe he has great potential and I think last year was just one of those years, started off injured, never really got untracked and lost some confidence. Of course it is up to him to earn it. I am cheering for him though. Reminds me a little of another big strong winger they had who showed flashes but never really got untracked until he was traded to Philadelphia along with Eric Desjardins for Mark Recchi, that trade didn't turn out well for Montreal but it sure did for Philly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DON said:

Anyways, I just cant see a spot for him on the Habs, 4th line centre is only option and Evans had decent showing in 6 games he just played and solid AHL season before that.

And you dont want Poehling as 13th man sitting in the pressbox.

 

I do agree with this. My original point was that I think Poehling has the skills to be much better than he was the past season. But while his skills might have been good enough to skate around the opposition in high school hockey and at St Cloud, that's not the case in the NHL. Or even in the AHL. So, he needs to be hungry, to really want to succeed (yes, like Gallagher). And if sitting in the pressbox during the playoffs gave him some of that motivation, that's a good thing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:


I simply had Poehling on my 4th line in the thread where we made our lines, and I’m not going to change my mind simply because it’s not the popular opinion. I’m not saying it will happen, it’s just my projected lineup.

 

 

Ahh, different what i thought.

Who knows, maybe Byron, Lehkonen get moved opening up some room, and/or Poehling really does turn heads at camp?

 

Seems odd, when you hear that, for example, a Hudon (McCarron, etc) comes into his 3rd, 4th or 5th training camp " well he is 10lbs lighter this year"...so WTF was he doing the previous off seasons, mailing in his training and diet, which as a young borderline NHL/AHLer with skating issues, you would think is crazy? But guess is why many prospects just dont get it and end up playing overseas or for the Swamp Rabbits, like this happy fellow.

image.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/31/2020 at 7:59 AM, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

That wouldn't surprise me if there is strong interest in Poehling. I really believe he has great potential and I think last year was just one of those years, started off injured, never really got untracked and lost some confidence. Of course it is up to him to earn it. I am cheering for him though. Reminds me a little of another big strong winger they had who showed flashes but never really got untracked until he was traded to Philadelphia along with Eric Desjardins for Mark Recchi, that trade didn't turn out well for Montreal but it sure did for Philly. 

 

I don't see it myself. I have him pegged more as a bottom-6 FW, if he becomes an NHLer at all. Certainly he has yet to show any offence at the professional level apart from that one freak game; and if he hadn't had that game, I doubt we'd be talking about him nearly as much as we are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I don't see it myself. I have him pegged more as a bottom-6 FW, if he becomes an NHLer at all. Certainly he has yet to show any offence at the professional level apart from that one freak game; and if he hadn't had that game, I doubt we'd be talking about him nearly as much as we are.

 

If Delarose can have an NHL career, Poehling can definively have one. I also think Poe has more scoring talent

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

I don't see it myself. I have him pegged more as a bottom-6 FW, if he becomes an NHLer at all. Certainly he has yet to show any offence at the professional level apart from that one freak game; and if he hadn't had that game, I doubt we'd be talking about him nearly as much as we are.

 

42 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

If Delarose can have an NHL career, Poehling can definively have one. I also think Poe has more scoring talent

 

Don't know that anyone disagrees that he can "an NHL career" ... Maxim Lapierre had a 10-yr NHL career (65g, 74a) ... but that would make Poehling quite a disappointment

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

 

I don't see it myself. I have him pegged more as a bottom-6 FW, if he becomes an NHLer at all. Certainly he has yet to show any offence at the professional level apart from that one freak game; and if he hadn't had that game, I doubt we'd be talking about him nearly as much as we are.

 

I don't expect him to score like John Leclair, just think he can score at least 20, be a leader and a 200 foot player. He also had a great world junior tournament. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

 

If Delarose can have an NHL career, Poehling can definively have one. I also think Poe has more scoring talent

Poe...humm? Wonder what his nickname is...whatever it is, it cant be worse than Suzuki's. :P

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habs Fan in Edmonton said:

 

I don't expect him to score like John Leclair, just think he can score at least 20, be a leader and a 200 foot player. He also had a great world junior tournament. 

That would be a decent result from a draft that had few, if any, better options ay #25 where RP was selected

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, GHT120 said:

That would be a decent result from a draft that had few, if any, better options ay #25 where RP was selected

Not many in his 2017 range have done very much yet, Jokiharju & Hague as d-men seems fine offense to start off.

1 23 Arizona Pierre-Olivier Joseph D Charlottetown Islanders [QMJHL]            
1 24 Winnipeg Kristian Vesalainen L Frolunda HC [SweHL] 5 0 1 1 0 2018-19
1 25 Montreal Ryan Poehling C St. Cloud State [NCHC] 28 4 1 5 4 2019-20
1 26 Dallas Jake Oettinger G Boston University [H-East] 0 0 0 0 0 2019-20
1 27 Philadelphia Morgan Frost C Soo Greyhounds [OHL] 20 2 5 7 4 2019-20
1 28 Ottawa Shane Bowers C Waterloo Black Hawks [USHL]            
1 29 Chicago Henri Jokiharju D Portland Winterhawks [WHL] 107 4 23 27 48 2019-20
1 30 Nashville Eeli Tolvanen R Sioux City Musketeers [USHL] 7 1 1 2 0 2018-19
1 31 St. Louis Klim Kostin C Moscow Dynamo [KHL] 4 1 0 1 0 2019-20
                       
Round 2                      
Round Num. Drafted By Player Pos Drafted From GP G A Pts PIM Last Season
2 32 Colorado Conor Timmins D Soo Greyhounds [OHL] 2 0 0 0 0 2019-20
2 33 Vancouver Kole Lind R Kelowna Rockets [WHL]            
2 34 Vegas Nicolas Hague D Mississauga Steelheads [OHL] 38 1 10 11 32 2019-20
2 35 Philadelphia Isaac Ratcliffe L Guelph Storm [OHL]            
2 36 New Jersey Jesper Boqvist C Brynas IF Gavle [SweHL] 35 4 0 4 8 2019-20
2 37 Buffalo Marcus Davidsson C Djurgardens IF [SweHL]            
2 38 Detroit Gustav Lindstrom D Almtuna IS [Swe-1] 16 0 1 1 14 2019-20
2 39 Dallas Jason Robertson L Kingston Frontenacs [OHL] 3 0 1 1 0 2019-20
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DON said:

Poe...humm? Wonder what his nickname is...whatever it is, it cant be worse than Suzuki's. :P

What’s worse: Polly... or Suzy? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, xXx..CK..xXx said:

What’s worse: Polly... or Suzy? 

Flip a...no the latter.

What happened to good ones like; the flower, roadrunner, big bird, rocket

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...