Fire Geoff Molson

alfredoh2009

I believe there is enough blame to go around to question GM (funny how General Manager <> Geoff Molson) in his evaluation of his reports and the talent on the team

It is time to ask for his exit from hockey decisions 

• Like 1

When discussing replacing Bergevin I have advocated for the Team President over the GM model ... not because it worked for the Leafs or any other team (no structure is an guarantee of success) but because I don't see the habs backing away from the need for at least bilingualism ... hiring a Francophone Team President (for example purposes only, Vincent Damphousse) could allow them to simply hire the best available GM, with the President being the "face" for management

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Molson is the one that allows this nonsense to continue. 

Team needs a complete gutting of gm, coaches, scouting. 

How many more years of garbage Geoff? Take your hotdogs and go. 

The bright side is Ottawa has it worse

We don't need a gutting just a different direction. Our core group needs to be blown up which should of happen at the start of this retool. 

Drouin, Danault, lehkonen, Armia, Byron, chiarot, all need to go they are too inconsistent and stay cold way to long. But Bergevin won't do this because he believes this group can win. 

I just hope he doesn't offer Danault a contract to stay because if he does he will over pay him.

3 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

Molson is the one that allows this nonsense to continue. 
Team is middling not bad and could be alot worse shape.

Team needs a complete gutting of gm, coaches, scouting. 
You know anything like that wont happen till summer, so why rant about  talk about it now?

How many more years of garbage Geoff? Take your hotdogs and go. 
Garbage?, could be worse and be every other Canadian team, who havent had a cup since pre-93 and some back to the 60s.

The bright side is Ottawa has it worse

Irrelevant and not to be rude but, who cares.

53 minutes ago, Prime Minister Koivu said:

All true Don

Im a frustrated fan 

No shite and for good reason, i am as well...but just think they arnt as bad as 1/3 of the league, have a good shot at playoffs and might be easiest rout to the semi-finals as gonna get...so is a minute ray of hope and just trying to be somewhat positive, as we know that nothing significant will take place until the off season. 

Thats all sir.

Cheers

While it is certainly premature to give up on the 2021 Habs - the playoffs will tell the tale - I think frustration is reasonable if current trends continue. This team has had two decent playoff runs since 1993. If it was reasonable for Leafs fans to be frustrated during all those years of mediocrity after 1967, then it is reasonable for Habs fans to be so now. After all, the Habs have basically become the post-1967 Leafs: a franchise stuck perpetually spinning its wheels.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

the Habs have basically become the post-1967 Leafs: a franchise stuck perpetually spinning its wheels.

Not just the Leafs, but the Canucks, SJ, Fla, CBJ, Sens, Jets, MInni, Arizona, Sabres, Preds never have even won; or also teams that havent won in forever, like Philly, Isles, Flames, Oilers, NJ, Rangers.

So Habs are in what you might call in a large group (majority) of franchises 'spinning their wheels'. 

If that matters 1 iota.

5 minutes ago, DON said:

Not just the Leafs, but the Canucks, SJ, Fla, CBJ, Sens, Jets, MInni, Arizona, Sabres, Preds never have even won; or also teams that havent won in forever, like Philly, Isles, Flames, Oilers, NJ, Rangers.

So Habs are in what you might call in a large group (majority) of franchises 'spinning their wheels'. 

If that matters 1 iota.

It doesn't to me ... I only care about the Habs ... and I don't know the last time I thought the Habs really had a real shot at a Cup, even when they reached the semis.

4 hours ago, DON said:

Team would be worse shape,if there wasn’t a Canadian division, and we will be worse, if we return to the old divisions.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Team would be worse shape,if there wasn’t a Canadian division, and we will be worse, if we return to the old divisions.

Oh I know we would be in 12th right now i do believe. But i think this might favor Bergevin and save his job. 

11 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Very true.  Lightning, Bruins, Leafs, and Panthers are all better than us, and another 'weaker' team in our usual division (Ottawa) tends to own us.  We aren't even a bubble team under normal circumstances: we miss the playoffs by a fair margin.

I keep hearing that this Canadian Division is so easy. 

As if the East doesn't have New Jersey and Buffalo. 

As if the West doesn't have the three California Teams.

As if the Central doesn't have Detroit and Columbus

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alfredoh2009 said:

I believe there is enough blame to go around to question GM (funny how General Manager <> Geoff Molson) in his evaluation of his reports and the talent on the team

It is time to ask for his exit from hockey decisions 

It was time to ask for his exit from hockey decisions many years ago.  He's not leaving and has said many times he sees no reason for him to put someone else in that position.  It's disappointing but it's his team - if he wants to put himself in that position, he can certainly continue to do so.

6 hours ago, Habsfan89 said:

Yes lee was owner of the islanders and snow was gm. 

I assume you mean the late Charles Wang?  He was the owner when Garth Snow was around.

22 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

It was time to ask for his exit from hockey decisions many years ago.  He's not leaving and has said many times he sees no reason for him to put someone else in that position.  It's disappointing but it's his team - if he wants to put himself in that position, he can certainly continue to do so.

I assume you mean the late Charles Wang?  He was the owner when Garth Snow was around.

Oh yeah not sure why I thought lee lol 

2 hours ago, DON said:

If that matters 1 iota.

Canucks, SJ, Philly, Rags, and Preds have gone to the Finals and iced serious contenders in this century.

The appropriate comparators for the Habs are franchises that have not gone to the Finals nor iced a sustained contender for 30 years. That puts us in somewhat more select company, unfortunately.

56 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Canucks, SJ, Philly, Rags, and Preds have gone to the Finals and iced serious contenders in this century.

The appropriate comparators for the Habs are franchises that have not gone to the Finals nor iced a sustained contender for 30 years. That puts us in somewhat more select company, unfortunately.

Is it TOR, FLA, CBJ, OTT, WPG, MIN, AZN, BUF, NYI, CGY, EDM and NJD ?

that's a dozen teams, not quite the majority of the league but close to it. That is including two league expansions after 1993 (teams highlighted)

Habs were worse during the Gillett years (2001-2009) and have been above average under Geoff Molson. But to go to the next level and contend for the cup, it is time to replace Geoff Molson

13 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

that's a dozen teams, not quite the majority of the league but close to it. That is including two league expansions after 1993 (teams highlighted)

Habs were worse during the Gillett years (2001-2009) and have been above average under Geoff Molson. But to go to the next level and contend for the cup, it is time to replace Geoff Molson

So, on the whole, bottom half of the league for the past 30 years. Agreed.

Molson is not going anywhere, but the idea of a President is attractive for sure. Owners should always be at arm’s length anyway.

54 minutes ago, alfredoh2009 said:

The Gillett years weren't the worse years, Bob took a team that had nothing thanks to Houle. So from 95-2000 were the worst years. Bob turned the franchise around and brought it back to respectability. 

1 hour ago, Habsfan89 said:

The Gillett years weren't the worse years, Bob took a team that had nothing thanks to Houle. So from 95-2000 were the worst years. Bob turned the franchise around and brought it back to respectability. 

Things actually started improving under Gillette. He bought the team in 2001 and sold it in 2009 and if I remember correctly, pretty much doubled his money. The foundation of the team that MB inherited was put together during the Gillette ownership (Markov, price, maxpac, subban, pleks). The habs were a mess financially in the late 90’s and started making money under Gillette’s ownership.

10 hours ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Things actually started improving under Gillette. He bought the team in 2001 and sold it in 2009 and if I remember correctly, pretty much doubled his money. The foundation of the team that MB inherited was put together during the Gillette ownership (Markov, price, maxpac, subban, pleks). The habs were a mess financially in the late 90’s and started making money under Gillette’s ownership.

Agreed. The Houle years were the nadir of organizational history. The entire operation was gutted and the GM was utterly incompetent. Since Gainey’s arrival, the Habs have not been a league laughingstock, just a largely mediocre team that seems to be first-rate in all the off-the-ice stuff.

EDIT: on another note, with Luongo GMing Canada’s national team, I suspect we can see the Habs’ future GM should Bergy get fired. He cannot be a worse option than Macguire or Roy, and ticks the all-important box: he speaks French!