Game Thread | Habs vs. Sabres | 03/02/07

Spider-Man NL

Just got in from the game. It was pretty exciting. What game with 13 goals isn't?

But the fact of the matter is if this team doesn't improve quickly its not going to maket he playoffs.

And even if it does. Do we really wanna play a 7 game series against this team? It wouldbe over in 4

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave up listening after the third goal ... I was sure we were going to get killed. Looks like the boys came back and made a game of it. It was 6-5 until nearly the 10th minute of the 3rd. Had we not been fools in the first period and given up 3 unanswered goals we may have been more competitive.

Glad some of the kids shone tonight!

BTW, why is everyone beating up on our 5-6 d-pairing? Our top two lines of both D and F let in the first 3 goals. Absolutely unforgivable to come out like that. They should get an electric enema before the game if they can't motivate themselves. Someone is asleep at the wheel, whether it is Carboneau, or Koivu .... but someone has to motivate the troops.

If they can do it, I'd like to see some of the veterns sit, and some more kids given the opportunity after a night like that. Also, Halak should get the next start.

How did Kastitsyn play? 2 points and +1? No bad.

Someone is asleep at the wheel, whether it is Carboneau, or Koivu .... but someone has to motivate the troops.

I didn't see the game, but tend to agree with 'A Concerned Fan's analysis of Carbo's coaching in general. A fast, reasonably talented team should be using a hard forecheck, not a passive game that puts more pressure on the D by waiting for the puck to come to them. And I keep coming back to this - he's the first coach NOT to get anything out of Samsonov; AND most of his players are having career-low offensive years; AND only recently have young players shown any progress. All worrisome signs.

That doesn't mean that I think it's all his fault; I agree that the core is defective. But if he'd gotten even average production out of Samsonov alone, we might not even be having this conversation, because the team would have chalked up a few more wins.

Notice the coward doesnt mention me by name any more

Calm down old timer no need to push the chance of a stroke. I just didn't give a damn enough to bother writing your name.

How did Kastitsyn play? 2 points and +1? No bad.

On fire, one of the few players that wanted to be out there.

I was at the game tonight and anybody who says Abby did all he could and did not let in any bad goals maybe right. But I will tell you this much in the first 90 seconds before Buffalo scored Ryan Miller made 3 HUMONGOUS SAVES, not should have made saves, Game changing saves and what happened 20 seconds later Buffalo scored. Then 30 seconds later..Buffalo scored and then 30 seconds later Buffalo scored...fortunately it did not count.

You do not win big games with goalies making the saves they are supposed to make. If that was the case we would have beat Carolina in 4 straight last year.

Aebischer has proved many times he cannot carry the load. 7 goals on 30 shots?? Come on. A mark of B form concerned fan? No way. Not one fan in my section had any confidence in him stopping a beach ball. He was brutal. He goes down way to much, his reboubd control is awful and he is rarely in position for the second shot.

That is Aebischer!! I don't care if you say he had no chance. Ryan Miller had no chance on 5 shots tonight and not one of them went in! You think Patrick Roy in 93 only made saves that he was supposed to? That is the reason he is a legend.

I hate to tell you, but if we get "He made the stops he was supposed to" goaltending...THIS SEASON IS OVER!

30 shots, 7 goals....not good! Unless Halak or "SHUDDER" Leighton can step in, time to clean the golf clubs because David Aebsicher SUCKS!

And I am not blaming the loss on Abby, I am blaming the loss on terrible defensive zone coverage, and zero forecheck. And has anybody seen Lats throw a bodycheck since the Toronto game?

No forecheck, no pressure, no turnovers, no chances.

I didn't see the game, but tend to agree with 'A Concerned Fan's analysis of Carbo's coaching in general. A fast, reasonably talented team should be using a hard forecheck, not a passive game that puts more pressure on the D by waiting for the puck to come to them. And I keep coming back to this - he's the first coach NOT to get anything out of Samsonov; AND most of his players are having career-low offensive years; AND only recently have young players shown any progress. All worrisome signs.

That doesn't mean that I think it's all his fault; I agree that the core is defective. But if he'd gotten even average production out of Samsonov alone, we might not even be having this conversation, because the team would have chalked up a few more wins.

I think Gainey should put out a call to Mr. Hunter, coach of the Londo Knights, this summer, and try to get him on board. He seems to know how to let his team run and gun.

jesus f'ing xrist its not the coaches.

if this team was ever going to do anything, it needed its guns to step up: koivu, kovalev, ryder, sammy and higgins (about 15-16 mil in cap space?). those 5 guys have ranged from mediocre to blowing chunks all year. please don't blame the 4/5 depth d-men, or our back up goalie (who is slumping).

winning teams have horses that win games for them. our "top" 5 have simply not been winning us hockey games.

frankly, hats off to plex and kosty and laps (and Bonk) - these are supposed to be support guys, and they're playing like our core. maybe they are.....

Bang on.

AV, MT and JS were all blamed in the past and look at them now, not doing too bad are they? Where's the difference? They dont have to put up with an overrated captain and an underachieving core anymore.

Just look at the damn penalties. The coaching staff has been telling the players all season long to be disciplined and skate; yet the players still get lazy hooking penalties because they won't listen.

I think Gainey should put out a call to Mr. Hunter, coach of the Londo Knights, this summer, and try to get him on board. He seems to know how to let his team run and gun.

Right on!!! Hunter is an awesome coach. Please can Carbo today before it is too late.

It seemed to me than this team, excepted for the Lapierre-Streit line and Kostyjust didnt gave a **** if they won or not... they play with no heart, no passion , no intensity and it's killing them. Carbo is not to blame, the players just dont listen to him.

When Mark Streit is one of your best performing players you know you're in trouble

It seemed to me than this team, excepted for the Lapierre-Streit line and Kostyjust didnt gave a **** if they won or not... they play with no heart, no passion , no intensity and it's killing them. Carbo is not to blame, the players just dont listen to him.

When Mark Streit is one of your best performing players you know you're in trouble

If the players won't listen to him then there is a serious problem.

I wonder if carbo constantly chirps at the players like he does the refs?

I'm beginning to think that carbo is just an asshole and if my boss treated me the way I think Carbo treats his players then I wouldn't listen to him either.

If the Kovalev interview holds any truth (read in another thread), we need to start looking at Carbo as the problem.

I know king Guy is God to many people but it should be explored.

Maybe Kovalev is the problem if he's spreading crap about the coach to the younger Russian players.

David Aebischer really sucks. Plain and simple. Weak goal after weak goal after weak goal, just ridiculous.

And there's idiots who were on here not so long ago predicting he would be traded for a fortune on deadline day.

Well, once it went 5-3, I turned the channel. I figured they weren't going to win if they had already given up 5 goals to the Sabres, who were missing Afinogenov, Drury, Kotalik, Gaustad, etc, etc...sheesh. All around, bad exectution by a team that seems really cemented in their bad habits.

If the players won't listen to him then there is a serious problem.

I wonder if carbo constantly chirps at the players like he does the refs?

I'm beginning to think that carbo is just an asshole and if my boss treated me the way I think Carbo treats his players then I wouldn't listen to him either.

If the Kovalev interview holds any truth (read in another thread), we need to start looking at Carbo as the problem.

I know king Guy is God to many people but it should be explored.

Perhaps Carbo is a bit of an a-hole but... If my players were playing like complete crap like the Habs are I would yell at them too, besides a few games they havent done anything worthy of praise in '07 and were now in March...

Goddamit, show some pride like you did earlier in the season guys!!! Show some respect for the fans too, seeing so many bad performances time after time is starting to get insulting.

The worse is than we saw earlier in the year than this team have what it takes in the roster to compete with anybody in the NHL *when the team play with heart*

Perhaps Carbo is a bit of an a-hole but... If my players were playing like complete crap like the Habs are I would yell at them too, besides a few games they havent done anything worthy of praise in '07 and were now in March...

Goddamit, show some pride like you did earlier in the season guys!!! Show some respect for the fans too, seeing so many bad performances time after time is starting to get insulting.

The worse is than we saw earlier in the year than this team have what it takes in the roster to compete with anybody in the NHL *when the team play with heart*

Maybe we're over reacting here , it isn't like we were playing Toronto last night.

Maybe Buffalo is just that good and the Habs were up against a far better team and kept it as close as they could.

Edited by TheWhale

No, the Habs continue to mail games in. No effort + no pride + very little talent = no wins. This has been going on for months.

Maybe but , it's getting close to the playoffs , could it be possible that the Sabres have another gear and are turning the dial up with the playoff approaching

They just got done beating toronto 6-1 , at least the Habs did some scoring

I think they did the best they could against a team like that , they stopped Buffalo from scoring on a lot of good opportunities

Edited by TheWhale

Hey Whale, the sabres had like 6-8 of there starters out. The Habs had nothing for them. There is a reason the Habs are at the bottom 5 in every category accept the PP. The Pk will be there by the end of the year. Top 4 scorers over minus 60. Enough said.

Hey Whale, the sabres had like 6-8 of there starters out. The Habs had nothing for them. There is a reason the Habs are at the bottom 5 in every category accept the PP. The Pk will be there by the end of the year. Top 4 scorers over minus 60. Enough said.

What about the time out Guy called in the first period that was huge