Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.rds.ca/

:) CIGARS AND BRANDY FOR ALL

you know I'm in !!!

50% of the job is done

next 25%: getting rid of kovy and/or samsonov

last 25%: help up front.

Edited by marky_and_komi

I really think that this bodes well for possible UFA signings, especially if Souray re-ups before July 1. Markov signing so quickly sends a message that Montreal is moving in the right direction, and will go a long way in countering any negativity generated by the "article" attributed to Kovalev earlier this year about Russians and Carbonneau.

They're not gonna have the money to sign any UFA if they bring Souray back at the money he'll get. Right now we're sitting at 30 million, with Higgins, Plekanec, Komisarek, Ryder, Gorges, and a slim chance of Perezhogin if things don't work out in Russia. Figure Plex, Higs, and Komi to all go between 1 and 1.5 million and Ryder in the 2.5 to 3 million range and we're talking 36 million for 5 D, 11 forwards, and the two goalies. If Souray comes back, we're now talking 41-42 million, leaving not much room to sign a big name. And Carey Price making the team would be a bad thing financially, as he carries a 2.2 million cap hit until it becomes impossible for him to reach his bonuses.

... and no more worries about having to amend your name!

few I dodge one, here !!! how about signig komi for 4 years now !!

Markov was the key signing for Bob I think he will try to sign shelly for 4-4.5 mill which is what he is worth. And who knows what the status of emelin is right now. we know they are trying to get him over here and that could change whether we want to sign shelly or not.

I am glad Markov is coming back, but Bob overpaid.

How many D-Men in the NHL make more than Markov now? Pronger, Niedermayer, Chara?

He is a valuable member on the blueline, but he is being paid on a level he has not yet reached.

I have been ripping the Leafs for signing McCabe and Kaberle and Kubina and Markov makes more than

them all now. Souray will not come a penny cheaper.

If they sign Souray you can kiss any Free Agents goodbye.

I am glad Markov is coming back, but Bob overpaid.

How many D-Men in the NHL make more than Markov now? Pronger, Niedermayer, Chara?

He is a valuable member on the blueline, but he is being paid on a level he has not yet reached.

I have been ripping the Leafs for signing McCabe and Kaberle and Kubina and Markov makes more than

them all now. Souray will not come a penny cheaper.

If they sign Souray you can kiss any Free Agents goodbye.

McCabbe makes $6.5M per... And Markov is WAY better... not even comparable.

I too think Bob overpaid. He has a history of doing that (e.g., Theodore, Ribeiro). I think he might even make a point of erring on the side of generosity - all part of creating the atmosphere of Montreal as a good place to be. (Either that, or you have to pay more to get people to play here).

I'd like to see a list of top NHL D and their salaries. At this point Markov is hovering in the second-tier, with occasional periods in which he vaunts into all-star range. But unless he takes his game to another level - which is entirely possible - I think he will remain overpaid.

Anyway, he had to be signed. But we also have to sign Souray AND a major UFA. Otherwise this team will be spinning its wheels, more or less.

As for the argument that they can't afford a UFA if they sign Souray, I thought the cap was almost $50 mil now? Just asking, a capologist i ain't.

Love Markov, great player. But Bob overpaid again. He's a little too soft a player for almost $6 Million a year. Now what does Souray get? $5.5 million.

Yup...Bob Gainey overpaid again

Great siging he would have got 6 mil + on the open market. Another nice way to look at it is with Niinimaa gone Markov's salary last year + Niinimaalast year in comparrison to his new deal is now a wash.

McCabbe makes $6.5M per... And Markov is WAY better... not even comparable.

McCabe does not make 6.5M per. He made that this year, but his average against the books is 5.75M.

McCabe signed a 5-year deal worth $28.75 million.

So I was wrong, Markov is paid the same as McCabe. But Kaberle is making 4.25M and Kubina 5M.

Gainey always seems to overpay. The way to win in the new NHL is with players who contribute more than they make.

The Habs now have Kovalev/Koivu/Markov who make more than they produce. These are things the Leafs do.

So I am going to stop dreaming about potential Free Agents. This team will live and die with the kids.

Great siging he would have got 6 mil + on the open market. Another nice way to look at it is with Niinimaa gone Markov's salary last year + Niinimaalast year in comparrison to his new deal is now a wash.

So let some other idiot pay 6.5 Million a year. Kaberle is similar to Markov and costs 1.5 Million less a year.

You look at it one way, I figure if Gainey paid Kovalev/Koivu/Markov their true value we would be halfway to Briere and Drury.

Instead we have 15 Million wrapped up in 0 All-Stars.

Markov is not in Pronger/Niedermayer/Lidstrom's class. He is a 4-4.5 Million dollar comparable to others on the market.

I am glad he is back, just thought we would get a better deal.

Also, with this deal, he will become a target for the fans frustrations if he slumps.

Edited by Wamsley01