Don Cherry said.....

brobin

Saku Koivu is the kind of man you would be proud to call "Son".

I think that is all that really needs to be said.

That's a uncharacteristically kind comment from a guy that I don't usually look towards for insight. Nice to see that Cherry has the ability to put aside some of his preconceptions to see good in a european wearing the tricolore.

That being said, he probably would rather call him "son" because he is unable to pronounce "Saku."

Edited by simonus

That's a uncharacteristically kind comment from a guy that I don't usually look towards for insight. Nice to see that Cherry has the ability to put aside some of his preconceptions to see good in a european wearing the tricolore.

That being said, he probably would rather call him "son" because he is unable to pronounce "Saku."

LOL good one ;)

This is very strange of any CBC employee to make a positive comment of such on a Habs player. :lol:

First time i hear him saying something good about someone from Europe, Quebec or anywhere but western Canada.

He might as well remain my public #2 ennemi, just under Mother Nature...

How about public enemy number 2, behind Bertand....

I heard him on the CBC Hockey radio show on Sirius this afternoon.

In addition, he pointed out that top free agents won't sign in Montreal because of this stuff, making Bob Gainey's job impossible. Right before he said the quote I gave he said regarding potential free agents considering Montreal "if they will say that about Saku Koivu, imagine what they would do to anyone else.... Saku is the kind of man....

He also said that he was trying to stay out of it so he doesn't get in trouble, but he might just need to do something about this on coaches corner. He commented about how much Koivu does for the province, kids, cancer patients, etc.

WHy do we care what others say, like that matters. We know what the Habs are, we know what the players are. OUR TEAM, OUR HERO's. I dont give a shit what anybody else tells me..

We react on every thing in the media said about our beloved Habs, like little children. Blow things our of proportion...Who's Don Cherry..

Vive SAKU!!!

Don Cherry is the same guy that calls Sundin "Chicken Swede".

So excuse me while I go throw a dart at his ugly bigot face on my dartboard.

throw one for me too . . .

Seems to me that Cherry wanted to weigh in on the Saku/French thing, and took Saku's side because that was his only option --can you imagine The Don backing up a separatist shitdisturber?!

I also predict that when this latest story has died down, maybe around Christmas, Saku will start making some of his comments in French, it is at the point where he might as well and it would be a good gesture. I've heard he speaks fairly well but just lacks confidence, anyone know if this is true?

I've heard he speaks fairly well but just lacks confidence, anyone know if this is true?

Yes, Koivu speaks French, he just isn't comfortable speaking it for reporters on TV. They already twist his words when he speaks in English ("Habs won't win the Cup"), imagine what kind of mistakes he might make in his third language. He should not do any interviews in French but introducing the team and stuff like that could be nice.

Yes, Koivu speaks French, he just isn't comfortable speaking it for reporters on TV. They already twist his words when he speaks in English ("Habs won't win the Cup"), imagine what kind of mistakes he might make in his third language. He should not do any interviews in French but introducing the team and stuff like that could be nice.

I don't think Saku should do feature interviews without an interpretor present. But he already made a gesture with his bilingual taped team intoduction tonight, which was well received at the Bell. And as for post-game comments, those are formulaic, Saku could easily do them in any language, to start just follow the script:

"Tonight we (gave/didn't give) 100%, and it was a (great win/tough loss). I think we really (came together/fell apart) in the (1st/2nd/3rd) period. (Name the other team) plays a (fast/physical/smart/dirty) game, and to beat them we have to (forecheck/trap/shoot/lace our skates/bribe the refs), and we (did/didn't do) that tonight. Thanks, got to hit the showers now . . . *hurry away* . . . "

...and suddenly everybody is happy!

I don't think Saku should do feature interviews without an interpretor present. But he already made a gesture with his bilingual taped team intoduction tonight, which was well received at the Bell. And as for post-game comments, those are formulaic, Saku could easily do them in any language, to start just follow the script:

"Tonight we (gave/didn't give) 100%, and it was a (great win/tough loss). I think we really (came together/fell apart) in the (1st/2nd/3rd) period. (Name the other team) plays a (fast/physical/smart/dirty) game, and to beat them we have to (forecheck/trap/shoot/lace our skates/bribe the refs), and we (did/didn't do) that tonight. Thanks, got to hit the showers now . . . *hurry away* . . . "

that's HILARIOUS!!!

So true :lol:

George Stroumboulopoulos would take offence to that. Not all CBC employees are bound to the Leafs.

Only the ones paid to comment on hockey

Don't give the old codger too much credit. There's a semi-conscious prioritization of allegiances going on here:

DON'S LOVE-HATE LIST (from least hated to most hated)

1-good ol' Christian Canadian boys from Kingston with brothers or parents in the military :bow:

2-good ol' Canadian boys in general :wub:

3-good ol' American boys in general :)

4-spunky Europeens that play for the Leafs (or maybe the Bruins) ^_^

5-spunky Europeens that play for teams other than the Leafs (or maybe the Bruins) :mellow:

6-soft Europeens that play for the Bruins of Leafs <_<

7-soft Europeens that play for teams other than the Bruins or Leafs :angry:

and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down in the dregs, Don Cherry's single most hated category of human being:

8 - KWEEBEC SEPARATISTS. :monkey:

(We could add a sub-human category: KWEEBEC SEPARATIST PINKO COMMIES. But most of them went away sometimes around 1971.)

So it's a simple calculation. 5 outranks 8. Therefore he sides with Koivu. And indeed so great is his hatred of 8 that he will allow himself to exagerrate and for a brief moment speak of 5 as if he were a 1. This allows him to ratchet up the rhetorical rejection of 8.

Such is the level of analysis we get for a cool million a year or whatever he's getting.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Don't give the old codger too much credit. There's a semi-conscious prioritization of allegiances going on here:

DON'S LOVE-HATE LIST (from least hated to most hated)

1-good ol' Christian Canadian boys from Kingston with brothers or parents in the military :bow:

2-good ol' Canadian boys in general :wub:

3-good ol' American boys in general :)

4-spunky Europeens that play for the Leafs (or maybe the Bruins) ^_^

5-spunky Europeens that play for teams other than the Leafs (or maybe the Bruins) :mellow:

6-soft Europeens that play for the Bruins of Leafs <_<

7-soft Europeens that play for teams other than the Bruins or Leafs :angry:

and WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down in the dregs, Don Cherry's single most hated category of human being:

8 - KWEEBEC SEPARATISTS. :monkey:

(We could add a sub-human category: KWEEBEC SEPARATIST PINKO COMMIES. But most of them went away sometimes around 1971.)

So it's a simple calculation. 5 outranks 8. Therefore he sides with Koivu. And indeed so great is his hatred of 8 that he will allow himself to exagerrate and for a brief moment speak of 5 as if he were a 1. This allows him to ratchet up the rhetorical rejection of 8.

Such is the level of analysis we get for a cool million a year or whatever he's getting.

:lol::clap: